1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

watt about tj

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Jan 29, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    watched an interveiw with the kid and he seems quite football smart. nobody has talked much about this kid as a pick for us. would you take a shot at him if there?

i've been kicking around some scenario's so far.

1. t.j. watt OLB wisc.
    2. adoree jackson CB USC
    3. jordan leggett TE clem. --- joe mixon RB okla. ----- tanoh kpassagnon DE villa.
    4. devonte fields OLB lou.
    5. josh harvey-clemons SS/ILB lou.
    6. johnathan ford FS aub.
    7. jamari staples WR lou.

priority udfa's

nate gerry SS/ILB neb.
    samson ebukam OLB e.wash.

i like leggett as much as any of the TE's.
    jackson is a good cover corner with speed.
    watt has a high motor.
    ford has played well for aub.
    harvey- clemons seems like a guy that could work out well next to shazier and give us extra coverage ability since we like to use our lb'ers as such.
    fields i think has matured since his trouble at tcu a couple of years ago and i think could make some noise as an olb opposite dupree. speed off the edge.
    staples has size and speed as a wr. why not add to the O if we can? :cool:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you think he falls to late 1st round Mac? I have seen him projected to go mid to high in the first possibly.

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i've seen him as low as the 2nd. if there i would certainly jump on him. :cool:

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He could be there at our pick, that's if we don't trade up for someone?
    Haven't watched too many Wisc. games can he cover a back out of the backfield?

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Here is my thing about Watt....I don't want him judged based on his relations. By that I mean, if we are going to take him, we need to do an honest evaluation not looking at his last name. If he still comes out on top...great, but I don't want the expectation to be that he is his brother. He might be, but you don't take him for the last name you take him for his game.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I've seen a couple games and he is very similar to Chickillo in size and athletic ability. Watt is taller but lighter - 6'5 240 while Chickillo is shorter but heavier - 6'3 265. I think he should have stayed in school one more year to work on his power but the kid has a high motor like Chickillo. He'll get sacks more with motivation than with technique imo. I haven't seen his pass coverage/drops enough to comment. I think he would need a year or two to contribute on a regular basis but the draft isn't all about next year either.

I understand what you are saying Tarheel with the name recognition, but you know the family is tough and competitive. That can only help with adjusting to the NFL as well, when your brothers can give advice. I don't know if I'd take him at 30 as he seems like an early 2nd to me but I wouldn't complain either. Can't teach motivation.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good list, don't know much about Ford or Staples but if Fields' issues are really past him that could be a good pick. Don't know much about Jackson at CB yet, but he definitely is a helluva an athlete. From what I've read he needs some refinement on coverage skills but when you play multiple positions I'm sure that's part of it.

I've watched a lot of Nate Gerry. He's a hard hitter. He definitely does not have the range/speed to cover the faster receivers but would be a good core STer on coverage units.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/t-j-watt/

pretty good video with the kid explaining his duties on certain plays. seems like he understands whats being coached to him scheme wise. the name has nothing to do with it i've seen him play a lot. biegel on the other side ain't to shabby either.

also a little peek at jackson. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Watt but not at #30, maybe as a mid round pick if he's there.

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Would jump on him in the second. People who have him in the first round confuse him with his brother. But at the end of the second I would think he's good value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't see Jackson lasting until the end of the 2nd round

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we will see. he'd be a good pickup if he's there. closing speed after a receiver makes a cut is really good. i'm sticking with this being a solid draft for us as i have it. especially now with gilbert gone. i'm not to sure but i think shabazz could move to safety too. they seem to like him. :cool:

13. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Watt at 30 is not a risk, nor a reach. We are pretty much picking in the Top of the 2nd Rd. He wont be there at 60. He's a better OLB than all of the EDGE rushers we'd get to play at OLB. You got to teach them how to play 3-4 OLB. TJ.. you dont, he's already been in our type of Defense for 4yrs. Smooth transition.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think he's the best well rounded fit for our system that is out there right now. no 30 isn't to high for him and the upside is huge.

watt, dupree, chickillo, fields, harrison in a rotation for next year would be a heck of an upgrade to a pass rush. throw in a guy like kpassagnon on the D-line with tuitt, heyward, walton, hargraves and we have increased our front by leaps and bounds. :cool:

15. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    I agree completely!

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont know if he goes round 1 or not, scouts like his size 6-5 with long arms and he had an impressive sack record in 16, 63 tackles, 15.5 for loss, and 11.5 sacks. Scouts also say he is a better fit in a 4-3 defense........

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he plays in the same defense we play. :cool:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't watch too much big ten football, but if he has a motor like his brother and can cover
    backs out of backfield. I am really interested.He has produced against good competition.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    T J had a rough start to becoming a top OLB this year, his two knee surgeries on both knees while playing tight end slowed his career down, switching him to defense proved to be his natural position but with just this 2016 season to go on teams will be hesitant in making him a high 1 pick, but I would draft him at 30 based on his tackles and sacks in 2016, he has the physical tools to play the edge though he needs to add 15 pounds to his 240 to play in the NFL:

Madison – T.J. Watt’s rise to the top of the Wisconsin depth chart has been anything but seamless.

Two knee injuries and a position change made for some trying moments during Watt’s first three years in the program.

Watt, the youngest of three brothers, joined the program in 2013 as a tight end and redshirted in Gary Andersen’s first season as head coach.

He injured his right knee in August of 2014 and missed the entire season.

After surgery and rehab, Watt injured his left knee early in the spring of 2015, which prevented him from making a favorable impression on new coach Paul Chryst and his staff.

Then last summer Watt was moved to outside linebacker and gradually became comfortable in his new home.

20. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Saw one mock had the steelers taking watt in Rd 2. Doubt he falls that far.

21. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    He doesnt need to add weight. Do you see how easily he beat double teams?

22. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    that is my fear on him. how does he cover? I don't know if he was ask to do that. not saying he cant learn or anything.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Beating college double teams and beating NFL double teams are quite two different talent levels, he needs to add weight, 240 wont cut it at this level....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    It's really not. Same size players, same strength and quickness.

25. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    People thought Shazier was too small.. but you see how he can blow OL back when he blitzes.