1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

watching XLV on NFL Network

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeldefense08, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    God this game is depressing how the stupid turnovers we had and we were still right there.

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've never watched it again and don't know if I could....

3. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I watched the highlights. That was the first time for me. Our defense took most of the blame for that loss, but it really was mostly the offense. They didn't know what the hell they were doing.

For its part, the defense got off to a terrible start. But in the end it only allowed 24 points to the Packers (14 off turnovers!), which could be considered a moderate success given what the Packers could do to people.

The offense just couldn't get off the ground, and as soon as it started to, it turned the ball over three times. Brutal.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't over come 3 turnovers, I just wish Bens arm wasn't hit on that one pick six, win the game without that one. Mendys fumble was brutal too, can't say they would have scored there but certainly looked like they would have on that drive. Still don't like to talk about that game.

6. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mendys fumble was frustrating cause D johnson was looking at the ball flop on the ground and didnt move to get it. Suis. missed FG and then the last 2min drive where Wallace had the catch but lost it.

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Mendenhalls fumble was like Neils int in SB 30. Just before it happened, you were feeling really good about the Steelers chances. In both cases I was very confident that this was it. That the Steelers were about wrestle control of the game at just the right time and were going to win it. Both TOs were deflating. But at least Mendenhalls was a great play by Clay Matthews. Its hard to get upset when the other team makes a great play (they're trying like hell too). But its agonizing when its just given away like Neil did.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Even more frustrating about NOD's performance, the strength of his game was not making mistakes. Picked a heck of a game to throw that trait out the window.

9. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I can't bear to watch it again, didn't johnson miss a block that caused Mathews to have a clean shot at Mendy? I will always feel we would've scored if not for that fumble. :-(

10. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Why torture yourself. I still cant bring myself to watch it again, or any highlights of the game for that matter. To be honest i still cant remember the score, because i had alot to drink that night and because i dont want to remember it.

11. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I must like hurting myself. I have watched the game, in its entirety, 4-5 times.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    A quick, amusing story:

Speaking of drinking a lot during the Super Bowl, that was me during SB 30. That game was at the time I was still dating my wife and we along with her friend and friends husband and my future Mother in Law watched it at her house. Me and the other guy drank a Coors Light 30 pack (we were young and cheap beer was important) from just before kick off until the final gun. Needless to say I was a little drunk and full of pee. That week, the weekly TV magazine that they used to put inside the Sunday PG had Neil Odonnells picture on the front. After the game I took it out into the front yard, put it next to a pine tree and proceeded to piss all over it. Natually I left it there, not thinking. Anyway, the next day I go to her house, walk in the front door and the magazine is now laying on the floor next to the door. I asked what this was doing here, and her mother said that somehow it got outside and that she found it in the front yard in the morning so she brought it in. :D

13. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i have no interest in watching XXX or XLV ever again. not sure why anyone would. the second ben's fourth-down pass fell incomplete i dropped my beer and headed for the exit. never saw one piece of confetti fall from the dallas roof, never saw one post-game interview . . . could care less.

i was at XXX. just sat stunned as the stadium emptied out and the post-game podium interview went on and on. was SO disappointed when hastings dropped neil o's perfect first-down pass and then corey holliday ran an in on the next play when it was a blitzing down, a hot read, and neil o PROPERLY threw the out. i felt like neil o was going to take us right down th field for the win. i think there are some real morons out there who actually, literally believe neil 'threw' that game.

i can't imagine ever subjecting myself to either of those games.

14. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    First in defense of Neil O'Donnell - I thought he was a good QB, not great, not a guy who was upper echelon. But for a couple of years he was probably a Top 10 QB. The guy was consistent, he actually rarely made turnovers, he was accurate, and obviously the team thought something of him to make him the team MVP the year they went to the SB. Think about that, despite a couple of superstar seasons by Ben they have never made him MVP. To me O'Donnell is the probably the best QB they had after Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

With that said - O'Donnell did not have a very good SB. The 1st pick was pretty bad and more than that, that crew of WR we had (Mills, Hastings, Thigpen) were actually having a field day against the Dallas secondary - they were open and O'Donnell was throwing high all game...part of the reason Mills went out was O'Donnell kept making him stretch out for balls. After that game, I defended O'Donnell and a friend told me something that I ultimately agreed with -he said - "Okay maybe that pass wasn't O'Donnell's fault, but Joe Montana would have never thrown that pass." And I think that is what is all about - a guy like Montana probably takes in everything around him realizes he's got an untested rookie in the game and knows the situation and doesn't make that mistake.

15. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    yeah, i have a similar read on neil. i felt they should have never let him go (with tomczak and kordell being the 'other options'). we had an extraordinary line, a great offensive scheme, capable receivers, and a stellar defense. i felt they should have kept that team intact as best they could. two of the biggest defections from that team were ray seals and brentson buckner. talk about underrated. those dudes were stud. and before hampton, joel steed was a beast. neil o managed that offense very well and didn't turn the ball over until, well . . . yeah . . .

maybe setting neil o's bar at 'joe montana' isn't really, um . . . fair . . .?

16. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    No it's not fair comparing him to Montana, but just thinking what separates the greats from the goods or not so greats. You look at a few of the guys who won SBs like Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and even guys who lost like Rich Gannon and Matt Hasselback and I would say that O'Donnell was in their league. But it is those great QBs who can make plays when most needed, I mean I look at Roethlisberger and even as awful he was in that SB 40 game he still made some really big plays like the 40 yard pass to Ward on the 1st TD drive that he pretty much created out of nothing. That is the kind of play a great QB makes that a good QB rarely makes.

17. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Ha ha nice. Did you ever tell her what you did to it.

18. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Ha ha nice. Did you ever tell her what you did to it.[/quote:3schqm3f]

Good thing I wasn't in your place................ It would have had a Cleveland stain on it.

19. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    No it's not fair comparing him to Montana, but just thinking what separates the greats from the goods or not so greats. You look at a few of the guys who won SBs like Hostetler, Brad Johnson, and even guys who lost like Rich Gannon and Matt Hasselback and I would say that O'Donnell was in their league. But it is those great QBs who can make plays when most needed, I mean I look at Roethlisberger and even as awful he was in that SB 40 game he still made some really big plays like the 40 yard pass to Ward on the 1st TD drive that he pretty much created out of nothing. That is the kind of play a great QB makes that a good QB rarely makes.[/quote:5434vjdw]

ha! i don't know if his off-balance, three-flies-up, throw it up for grabs throw that hines hauled in is the best analogy. yeah, the escape was nice but the throw could be deemed as ill-advised. nice result, but ill-advised.

i think the final throw in XLIII is the analogy you're looking for.

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I can't bear to watch it again, didn't johnson miss a block that caused Mathews to have a clean shot at Mendy? I will always feel we would've scored if not for that fumble. :-([/quote:3jvkvnur]
    Yeah. I've watched that play about a million times. Legursky overran his guy a little and was just barely able to sort of shield him to the inside. Johnson was lead blocking and Matthews was coming up to take it on. It looked to me like Johnson got distracted by Legursky's guy, and didn't know if he should help with him or not, and in the end decided not to, but by then it was too late to get Matthews. He whiffed on everyone. Mendenhall was going to try to split the blocks, which he probably would have been able to do if Johnson had kicked out Matthews (not saying it would have been a great block, but at least Mendy wouldn't have been hit and it would have been a loss of a yard at worst). As it was, Mendenhall got the surprise of a lifetime and Matthews got his helmet right on his forearm.

Sometimes the worst hits are the ones where you see the guy coming, but you assume he will be blocked because you have a blocker lined up. That can be a bigger surprise than getting blindsided.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He had a great beard as well. Probably top ten in the history of Steeler beards.