1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wasted all that money on the D-line and lost us the game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jan 15, 2018.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We all know our secondary is trash, Burns and Mitchell. Talked all week about how they ran over us. Then let them come in and get 5 yards a pop and can't stop the run and make them 1 dimensional like the Bills did.

But but but Heyward didn't make the Pro Bowl. Did he make one play all day? Dude played small on the biggest stage. Maybe he can go to his Super Bowl(Pro Bowl) now and I don't need everybody telling me to RT **** so he gets some personal accolades he doesn't even deserve. Tuitt was a ghost. Watt was too slow and 1 second late like he was a majority of the season.

Playoff games are won in the trenches and our d-line failed us. Lets see if the Patriots let Fournette run all over them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Heyward was a huge disappointment yesterday. The entire defense sh!t the bed.

Fournette won't run on Patriots, like he did vs Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the problem was more with the LB's than the DL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The entire defense was absolutely terrible yesterday. Heyward didn't register a single stat, which is shocking, but he had a fantastic season.

Big changes are needed on that side of the ball. We'll see if anything happens.

I'd be fine with Porter being shown the door. The LB's have been really poor. And in a 3-4 D, that's kind of important.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it's very sad, that it used to be harder than hell to get 100 yards on the Steelers defense. Now, it's not much of a problem for any team.

This will tell you how good of a player Aaron Smith was.

Did he ever get any sacks? No. But, he shut down the running game of a lot of teams.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually Smith did get sacks, there were a few seasons he had 7 but he was also good against the run.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Just skimming the highlights. I saw him get pancaked, wasn't on the field for like a 10 yard run, gasping for air, and one play he was like 2 seconds late to the ball and tripped over two people. It honestly looks like he was drunk out there.

Different league. Now you have to worry about teams coming out 5 wide. They've lost so many times because of the pass. Now they are prepared and somewhat capable of defending it and lose to a team that plays ball like Ben in his early years. Just not meant to be but that was apparent when a fumble goes 10 yards and stays in bounds for their fastest player to scoop. We block a punt and nobody near it. It just wasn't meant to be.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The defensive line was not the issue. The entire defense was just a litany of many reasons why we lost.

A lack of adjustments being the main selling point. Why Butler elected to not put eight in the box eerily reminds me of when LeBeau opted not to bring the heat against Tim Tebow back in 2012.

What needs to change is the philosophy. Be that by both Butler and Tomlin. No one else unless in the event another defensive coordinator is a better fit than Butler.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thing is though Heyward and Tuitt are supposed to be the Lloyd and Greene of this defense. They are essentially our pass rushers on defense in this scheme.

It is not the OLB show anymore. The onus is totally on the defensive line to show up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe he had the flu? I don't know, but he definitely wasn't himself out there. Dude was a beast all season.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Flu or he didn't keep himself in game shape the last 2 weeks. I mean Brown had the flu days before and showed up. What's the point in getting a bye if these guys can't stay away from the flu?