1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Washington

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been one of his toughest critics but time to give him his due, I think it's safe to say he has arrived. These tough contested catches the past two weeks is why he was drafted.

With him rounding into shape, I feel a lot better about our receivers, it's huge that he is making plays and I think it will open things up for all of them with him and DJ benefiting the most.

They are still extremely thin at the position and would feel better if they brought one more guy in.

Just because I was holding him accountable @NY STEELERFAN doesn't mean I wasn't rooting like heck for him, this is what I have been hoping and waiting for all along :thumbs_up:

But he has to keep it up, don't think I won't drop the hammer on him if he disappears over the remainder of the season :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Washington needs to be consistent. He has a good game here and there.... but seems to disappear for stretches.

3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    He's shaking off the Limas Sweed comparisons and has moved up to Sammie Coates territory.

Next stop: Martavis

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t think he disappears,they just go to other options. It’s hard for anyone to be consistent when they aren’t sustaining drives. I don’t know the number of plays they actually run per game but I would think it’s on the lower end by comparison. More plays,more opportunities for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    All it took was a simple fix, I've been screaming for at least a year. Work him over the middle more and let him make combat catches. He doesn't get enough separation running down the sideline to make plays. He's useless out there.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He put together some games at the end of last year and then obviously struggled to start this season.

I have a feeling he won't disappear this time. I think with Ben going down, line struggles, RB injuries, massive dump off games, it's just taken time to get his and the teams game together.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a worker and he is getting better as the season goes on.
    His work ethic will make him a quality receiver.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have been a fan since we drafted him and I don't care if he is having a few good games now my opinion has never changed. Give him a chance that was all I wanted and now he is getting it. @Blast Furnace I never said you weren't rooting for him I just couldn't believe how you we so hard on him and yet so high on DJ. Glad JW is getting a chance and producing......now hold the damn ball!!!!!!!!

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    James Washington has been getting better with every game this season. The issue was that Mason was still in the early stages of learning when and when not to throw to receivers. Heck he still is. That said, Randy has given neither his WR Corps nor Mason any major endorsements up until the Indianapolis game. Even then, Randy still cannot get out of his own way.

With the exception of the fumble, James had his best game of his career by far. Definitely something to build on. As Ward stated, not only does he have the work ethic to be good but the desire and mental fortitude as well.

That alone will carry him far. Goes back to the old "Hearts 'n' Smarts" philosophy the Steelers have been using since 2015. Aspects such as work ethic, desire and perseverance are what are constituted as intangibles; unteachable.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    this has been my problem with the criticism of him. Some people want to say his is inconsistent or got off to a slow start. What I see is people seeing stats and not play. Not every target is a catchable ball. I am by no means putting blame elsewhere or giving JW a pass. I am just saying there is a little more to the inconsistency. Prime example look at the pass to DJ yesterday. It was way behind him and yet that counts as a target and many will say oh that was a drop. Nope if DJ would have made that catch that would have been spectacular. I feel JW has had a lot of that. Jmo

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was hard on him because he wasn't producing! lol

I was high on DJ and he's backing it up in his first season.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Layover at Marcus Wheaton?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I called Washington=Mr. August because he produced in the preseason, then didn't do much in the games. He has stepped up the last 2 games, he needs to continue it because there isn't much depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Cross another one off the list that I felt could help us.

JuJu, DJ, Washington, Matthews > JuJu, DJ, Washington, Holton.

Stay healthy boys, stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have purposely shied away from this subject because almost everyone seems to be on one side of the fence or the other about JW. I think I can officially come out and say that I have liked him along and hope he continues to develop. My bigger concern is just how much JuJu's toe is really bothering him. Something ain't right there!

• Like Like x 2
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Again we have had this conversation many times but he wasn't producing in his first season cause he didn't get the chances. That was my whole thing, give the kid a chance but no Ben wanted to throw him under the bus after the Denver game and many followed. Then after that when he was included into the game plan he produced. Either way he is now and that is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Like I just said to blast hard to produce when you aren't getting the chance. Targets aren't chances, the average person looks at stats and says wow he was targeted 6 times and only caught 1. Well what the stats don't show is how many were uncatchable. We are now seeing what happens when balls are catchable. Now he needs to hold the damn ball.........

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Diontae Johnson will be the #1 at some point but I do like Washington's ability. He needs to be more consistent though.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    In the Early Spring I look at my Rose Bush and say “ What a beautiful thing it is” But my daughter says it’s a green shrub with thorns and and has these little green bulbs!!!

I say to her, you’re right But I can see what it’s going to look like in two weeks and it’s going to be AWESOME!!!

This is how I view our WR Corp right now...
    DJ will be our #1, he is already almost uncoverable by CB, JUJU will be our Mr. Reliable and JW will be The Beat All around WR..... Contested catches to clutch receptions to Great Blocking!!!!!

Yep..... It’s going to be Awesome!!!

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    He spends too much time on the bench if you ask me. The guy seems to be the only one actually making plays out there. If we are insisting on the development of Mason when he's playing poorly why not give Washington more of a chance? He clearly has chemistry with Mason.

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Holton is going to be a good WR when he is given an opportunity so I wouldn’t replace him with anyone else off the street.....

Now Switzer is a different story ..... Bring back Eli and kill this bad experiment....

Mathews over Switzer ..... absolutely

Cajun

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Week 1 vs. Week 10. They wasted a year running James Washington down the sideline all game. He's better over the middle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is why they needed Metcalf and not DJ. We have too many of the same receivers now. Metcalf and Gordon on the outside and Juju and Washington working the middle would have been deadly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    DJ is not the same type of WR as Juju and Washington. I think he's going to be a good WR with more experience and with better and more consistent QB play.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, apparently they drafted him to be a deep threat like JW. But like JW he isn't one. He will be better running the whole route tree like AB. That's the comparisons he had. This is a deep threat to you?

[​IMG]