1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Washington wants Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Oct 7, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Dan Synder is truly desperate for Tomlin, if I were Art Rooney II, I would entertain this idea. Keep in mind everyone, one is worth the value the other deems acceptable. This is a universal truth. Just like Minkah Fitzpatrick, it is all about finalizing what the trade criteria is.

To that end, what would I give up for Tomlin?! That all depends on how desperate Synder is. If he is as desperate as he claims to be, a First Rounder at minimum should not be too much to ask for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, but also think all the in-house promotions and family connection hires at coordinator go above Tomlin.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind though my man, Pittsburgh had done something they have never done in the Modern Era. For that matter, since 1967. They traded away a First Round pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick. Me and you can concur on that deal being a good one.

Now, regarding this?! It all comes down to how desperate Dan Synder wants Tomlin. Use that as a bargaining chip and proceed from there.

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would be surprised the Steelers could get a #1 pick from Washington, since it could be a top 3 pick in the draft. I would ask for a #1, but settle for a high #2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If the Redskins pick is a Top 5 pick I don't see how you pry that from them.

Heck I like Tomlin but there's no way I'd trade a Top 5 pick for any coach. A second? Maybe. A third? Sure.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Washington isn't giving up a 1st. That pick is gonna be a too 3.

Who are the great young defensive up and comers, assuming we stick to our usual criteria for a HC? Young and defensive.

Saleh, the DC for the 49ers is all I can come up with at the NFL level. I think he is 40. Not the best resume though.

I say this as a complete Homer, but one of the big future defensive names will be Jim Lehnard, the current Defensive DC of Wisconsin. What he is doing this year is incredible. Not the best talent, but he has pitched 3 shut outs and shut down Michigan (ok not that hard) and Northwestern .

Of course he is a former Raven, and given their defense, it may not be long before they scoop him up.

At 37, he fits the youth and defensive mindset we look for. Allbeit a very thin resume so far.

Just trying to think of options.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree to an extent here.

Again, it all depends on how desperate Dan Synder is. Keep in mind he is a billionaire. Billionaires like him HATE losing profits. A bad product is the result of that.

Given Tomlin's tenure here, he is behind Belichick as the winngest coach currently active. That alone would speak VOLUMES for a Franchise looking for a coach like that in over 20 years. There is one more underlying aspect here.

Should Tomlin be traded, here is what he has to work with:

-A possible Franchise QB

-A young defense with some good talent.

-The most expensive Offense in the NFL

-An organization desperate of some new blood.

Sounds similar doesn't it?! Here is the kicker. I would imagine that, if Dan Synder is that desperate to make Tomlin the Head Coach, he is going to throw SERIOUS money his way. Don't believe me?!?!

Ask Jon Gruden. :eek:

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Job Gruden fetched 2 1sts AND 2 2nds for a Coach with a 40-28 record... Don't act like a high 1st is out of the question for Bubble Gum

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll trade our cheerleader, for their cheerleaderS!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For everyone saying it won't happen, stop.

This has been a crazy unlike Steeler season. I'm not saying it will happen but this isn't your same old predictable Steelers.

I'm so ready for a change.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will believe it when Schefter or Glazer say it, not La Canfora :shrug:.

12. TheNightfly

TheNightfly Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Who would replace him?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There is already a thread on this.

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's CBS Sports take on the matter (SPOILER ALERT to the rabid Tomlin Haters in these parts - this description/rationale may cause excessive heartburn, eye rolling and noisy oily discharges LOL):

Mike Tomlin

Tomlin landed a contract extension from the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2019, securing him but not for the intensely long term. He's only locked in through the 2021 season, and things aren't going well this year for the Black and Yellow crew -- to say the least. Even before losing Ben Roethlisberger for the season with an elbow injury, the Steelers simply haven't performed up to snuff on a consistent basis. That said, Tomlin is still easily one of the best coaches in the NFL and it's possible a fresh start will do him some good if he can't keep the boat afloat with Mason Rudolph. A Super Bowl-winning leader of men that almost always has the entire locker room on his side is something that would play very well in Washington, but Tomlin would truly need to be in the mood to take on a massive rebuild and to deal with the likes of Snyder after having spent years under the fur-lined class of the Rooney family. His son, Dino, does play football for the University of Maryland -- by the way -- and taking the Redskins job would allow him more time to take in those games and help coach his son up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The Thread Joiner Gods will remedy this soon. That's why we pay them the big bucks. ;)

EDIT: Amazing - only took about 20 seconds after this post. You guys are the best!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That was 17 years ago and those picks were the 21st and 53rd overall in 2002, the 32nd overall in 2003, and the 33rd overall in 2004. In 2006 Herm Edwards was traded for a fourth round pick. So let's say that Tomlin is somewhere in between those two.

Regardless there's some pretty big differences between between 2002 and now.

a) None of the Raiders picks were close to a Top 5 pick. Let's say the pick is the #2 pick. The Jimmy Johnson draft value chart has that at 2600 pts. All four of the picks Oakland got add up to 2360, so even added up not equal to the second pick.
    b) The 2002 trade for Gruden, and the draft value chart for that matter, was pre-standard rookie wage deals. Draft picks are worth more now since they're essentially team friendly rookie deals and take up a lower percentage of cap space than they once did. As an example in 2002 David Carr as the #1 pick signed a deal that averaged $5.3M/year against a $71M cap, or 7.5%. Kyler Murray was $8.75M against a $189M cap, 4.6% of the cap, this year. That's a 38% reduction in cap room in 2019 vs 2002.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin is used to the hands-off Rooneys. Working for Snyder and Allen would be infuriating for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Look at the talent Tomlin has been afforded all these years, he can't help but do well with his teams.

19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well, I'm not sure how hands off Art II is, but he's sure a lot easier to work for as HC than the Snyders.

You bring up a good point though. Trading for a coach is not the same as trading for a player in the NFL. When players are traded for picks the player's contract goes with him. Technically, draft picks cannot be traded for coaches. Basically, the team trading for the coach agrees to a new contract, the team trading the coach releases the coach from the contract, and the two teams agree to compensation for the release.

Basically, a trade can only be done if the coach agrees to work for the other team.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Keep tomlin and get some real fans

• Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    What did Munch do when he was a HC? A .458 winning %. A great line coach, but not necessarily a good HC.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That actually would not be bad. You could actually get multiple picks that way. Just playing a stupid devil's advocate, getting their high 2nd and 4th, paired with what will likely be our high 2nd and 4th, booting Moncrief and possibly landing a 3rd. That draft looks a lot more appealing what we have now, especially with what would likely be a new GM. % is super low, but you could fill a of slots with those picks.

23. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    That proves it right there if the redskins really do want him, Tomlin is a terrible coach. Why you might ask? Name one Fing thing that Washington has done right, name one decision they have made that was right, name one acquisition that Dan Snyder has been right about.

If Washington wants you badly, it means you are a complete phony loser.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Here is the real scouting report on Tomlin:

-leader of the sunglasses wearing at night men
    -not first of his name
    -father of losing challenges
    -destroyer of timeouts
    -conquerer of cliches
    -king of confusion
    -waster of talent
    -master of the wildscat

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Keep our cheerleaders and throw in our drumline. Lol. What the He'll does a pro FB team with a drumline anyhow?