1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Washington Redskins

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Junebug, Jul 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Now Fedex is demanding the Redskins change their name.....this is getting really stupid.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Also heard the NFL is going to be playing a second national anthem the first week of the season.

3. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    I just thought of something.....what if all the rioters find the name "Steelers" offensive and want us to change it??

Then of course, there's the "Browns"! LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Washington Snoflakes

It solves the problem, and identifies with the true new fans

• Like Like x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Juat do away with team names, and assign them shapes, to be regoenized by.. ;)...

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Igot a feeling the NFL like Nascar is gona see a dip in their rateings this year.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol They are seeing how much they can get people to bend to their will. So far we keep bending over lol

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is not the first go around for the Redskins on their name. It was bound to come up again at some point.

Nonetheless, I just want to provide a friendly reminder to folks not to let this thread get out of control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This has been going on long before now, as far back as when BFT was still posting here.

Snyder said years ago that he will never change it. As long as he owns the team, I don’t see the name changing.

It is a racial slur though so I don’t see why it is surprising to some that it’s offensive to Native Americans.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    My question is: is the name offensive to most native Americans, or only to some in the Oneida tribe and the rest is "group think"? My opinion is, it's Snyder's team, the decision is his. The NFL shouldn't be forcing his hand.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t recall, long time ago like I said. IMO, it’s not for me to decide. Doesn’t carry the same weight as the N word in society but who’s to say Native Americans don’t feel its as offensive. I’d leave it up to them.

Can the NFL do anything about it? They can pressure Snyder but I don’t think they can make him change it. I suppose I should read the article :lolol:

13. Junebug

Oct 1, 2018
    If "redskin" is offensive to Indians, why isn't "black" offensive to African Americans?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe because their skin isn’t red and that redskin is also used to describe Indians as savages.

I mean it’s only considered a slur in the dictionary, can’t imagine why Indians are offended.

15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That's my question. Are a majority genuinely offended, or is it a few from the Oneidas and the rest are middle class white kids with skateboards?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Ok I understand the changing of redskins but why Cleveland Indians? Like someone else mentioned why not change browns or lions... they have been offending people for years too lol

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    52 card decks are next.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As an actual mariner, I find the name of Seattle's baseball team offensive!

20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Inever met a indian that was offended by the name, and i know a lot of indians.. I'm prty sure its the liberals thats demanding this change,

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interesting history about the Redskins nickname. In the early NFL days, teams tried to link their identities to the local MLB team. Baseball was big time and Iguess it made the NFL look more big time than it was. The Steelers were originally called the Pirates. The Bears were a takeoff on the Cubs, the Lions on the Tigers. The NY Giants were names after the baseball team. The Redskins were originally in Boston. Boston had two MLB teams: the Red Sox and the Braves. Redskins linked the football team to the two baseball teams.

I got no problem changing the name of the Redskins, as it's hard to argue that it's not derogatory. I have a bigger problem changing Chiefs or braves which clearly are not. And I don't understand why The Cleve Indians is anymore insulting than Boston Celtics, ND Fighting Irish. Or my old high school team from Holland NY : the Flying Dutchmen.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Jill M

Jill M Member

Dec 25, 2016
    They should change their name to redskin potatoes.

Or if they want to promote literacy of those that are well read, call the team readskins without changing the pronunciation of redskins.

That should make everyone happy. Who could be against promoting literacy, or healthy vegetables.

23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Jill, with all due respect, this idea has 0% chance of making everyone happy.

Neither does destroying every statue of George Preston Marshall or boiling Dan Synder in oil.

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    You’re gonna get silenced with that kinda talk lol

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Shorten the name to 'skins. The only ones who wouldn't like them would be the shirts!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.