1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Was with you in Spirit today.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It was a bitter sweet outcome today, not completely unexpected, but hoping for better. Only got to see the game in part and without sound due to other things going on - our power was out for about 6 hours today with all the torrential So Cal rains. You are all my friends and comrades in so much more than just football and I often turn to you for both education and comic relief.

Sadly yesterday around noon, my Wife Diane passed away at home under hospice care after battling Stage 4 kidney cancer for 10 years. It was just me and her, the nurses had left just an hour earlier. I was holding her hand and reading the 33rd Psalm to her at the time, our favorite. It was the scariest and most beautiful moment I've ever experienced in my life.

We both grew up in Pittsburgh (me Castle Shannon and her Mt Lebanon). We met when we were 13 and 2 years later my family moved to California. She was the last person I saw before we moved. 38 years later I found her on Classmates.com and I kidnapped her from Boston and brought her out here to the Phelan Groovy Ranch in the Cali-desert. She was a HUGE Steeler fan and was prophetic not to be here for today's game.

We are planning an all Steeler service for her this next Saturday as several of her children and siblings are still living in and around Pittsburgh. I wish you could all join us - what a Wake that would be. And to Guru, I feel for you deeply my friend and what you're going though. Diane boldly bounced back many times over the past 10 years to everyone's amazement. Miracles are real if you believe and have a solid team praying for you. God Bless You Sir and thank you all my TSF friends.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My deepest condolences, Mojave. I honestly don't even know what else to say. We'll be here for therapeutic discussion of our shared Steelers passion when you're ready.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My condolences Mojave , Lost my mother last Christmas.It hurts

4. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    So sorry for your loss. Diane, RIP!

5. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Sorry to hear that and my condolences to the entire family. May her soul rest in peace

6. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So sorry for your lose Mojave! :'(

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So sorry for your loss.

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Heart wrenching mojave. I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully your memories will comfort you for a lifetime.. God bless

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Sorry mojave, thanks for sharing that. Remember the good times

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    My condolences brother!

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry for your loss friend.

12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry for your loss, you'll be in my prayers.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, damn man, sorry, thats sobering. Scrolling through the threads feeling bummed about the Steelers loss and see this. Puts things in perspective. Nothing more important than loved ones.

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thank you all my friends for your kind words - my Wife scolded me many times throughout this ordeal to stay positive, joyous and inspired and to get on with life when the time came. So that I will do. It probably saved me a few years of my health not to be totally engaged in yesterday's game. Now we turn our attention to become the biggest "Dirty Bird" fans for the next two weeks. :thumbs up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    SO sorry Mojave for your loss. Just last week I went to a wake service in Florida, where some of the deceased friends came in wearing Steeler garb, as they knew she was a passionate Steeler fan. it brought a smile to all the family members and people who knew her.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No words. I'm so sorry for your loss, my friend.

For Diane.

:steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  17. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Thoughts and prayers out to you in this difficult time Mojave. Sounds like your wife is a heck of a battler. 10 yrs with stage 4? Wow.

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thank you SD - Yes - she was the poster child so to speak at Oncology symposiums throughout California over these years and probably helped shape survivor techniques in that industry.

19. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    First and foremost Sir: My Condolence goes out to you and yours. May the hand of god comfort you. Wow just brought tears to my eyes!!! Because I can relate... I've had the priveledge to be present "the chosen one" to witness the miracle of God's hand in an amazing way. I've had three immediate family members Dad, Mom, and Brother pass ahead of time and I'm the only one there.. maybe because im consided the stong hearted one dont really know. I come from a big family 7 brothers and sisters. I am forever grateful for that blessing to witness their asend to heaven "The light" There's no pain or suffering when the angels come to get you. Stay strong Steeler brother you will see your wife again in Paradise in that great reunion. God speed

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Damn sad to read this.

21. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

So very sorry for your loss, Mojave. You and Diane have a wonderful love story. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    So sorry for your loss, Mojave, and I'm glad it was peaceful for you both.

24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I hate to hear that! You're one of my good buddies on here and I hate to hear of anyone hurting. She's better now though and that's a good thing. In ministry I've watched a lot of people suffer from cancer and there are certainly things that are worse than death. The final stage of cancer I believe is one of them. I watched it physically transform my papaw over a period of months in a way that was just almost unbelievable. I still remember the morning he died my uncle walked across the yard early and knocked on the door and as soon as I heard that knock I knew what was gonna be said. I just walked to the door and said "he's gone aint he"? and he said "Yeah. He's gone." I said "I'll walk right over there in a second" and went in our bedroom and knelt beside the bed and genuinely thanked God for 23 years spent with the greatest man I ever knew that had more impact on my life than anyone ever has or will have. Maybe this will help you to prepare a little for what's coming because it's something I've learned about losing people. It will be the "little things" that will remind you the most of them. We've always lived on the same 40 acres my whole life with my mamaw's back door about 30 yards from mine. After papaw died she had this dead tree that had been in the yard my whole life cut down and it just upset me because it was like there was something that was there when he was here had just left and it was like more of "him" had just gone away. He framed pictures on the side and in his garage he had a little reddy heater. I used to sit beside of it and talk to him while he worked and the other day I saw one in the back of a truck and it was like I was instantly back in the garage talking to him. It just reminded me again that he's gone. Maybe this will sorta help you to know that it's normal to feel sadness over seemingly mundane things. BUT the one thing that gives me great joy are the words of Paul: "To depart and be with Christ is FAR better..." think about that old buddy and hang in there! God bless you and yours!

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Thoughts and prayers with you, Mojave.