1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ward & pickens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No I did not.

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I just don't think they have similar playing styles. They played at Georgia, blocked, and played WR.

Pickens is a different type of player. Ward played RB, QB, and WR in college. I didn't see those positions listed for Pickens.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/hines-ward-1.html
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/george-pickens-1.html

I remember Ward as a football player. Ward was also one of the toughest football players I ever saw play the game. If I had to pick one player in today's game that reminds me of HW it would be Deebo Samuel. The Steelers could had used HW the same way the Niners use Deebo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You should

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just because someone plays at multiple positions doesn't make them more of a football player.

Secondly, go watch the videos. Hits, putting a cb on their butt a ton, blocking. Yes those are similar. And it's not just a couple times. It's a ton. Even at Georgia everyone realized it was more from Pickens.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That's awesome man, thanks for sharing. I too am a bit of a guitarist, but more of a side thing I taught myself for fun. Did a metalcore band in college, but never took it super seriously because I spent the majority of my time golfing. Love music and the electric guitar though. Tons of fun.

Love the jam space too. Reppin' the Steelers hard!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Love it!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Awesome groove man! Very original! As a fellow guitar player, I am curious as to which guitar you are playing, the pickups, and the amplifier. I really enjoyed your clean tone! Well done, sir! Go steelers!

• Like Like x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Pickens is more athletically gifted. Hines had something very few players have had in the NFL. Steel Will that superseded talent and ability even though he had both. The perfect Steeler.

• Like Like x 2
  9. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This makes me think of Brian Billick when he coached the Ravens. He said he hated Ward when the Steelers and Ravens played because of how badly he frustrated him. But he also said “You give me 11 Hines Ward’s and I will beat you everyday of the week!”

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st of all....Thank You Very Much for the kind words.
    That Guitar in that video is a Tradition that I picked up for less than 300 dollars. It has it's standard pickups, and I'm switched between both humbuckers on this....for effects....LoL...I'm just playing through a Ibanez Tone blaster half stack....with it on clean with all the mids turned way up, and the lows down, and running it all through My old Sony home stereo...LoL....that's all for effects.
    Again thank You.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You Very Much :thumbs_up:

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Patiently waiting your rendition of Eruption......

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I move away from that in about 1989. LoL. I went through that phase in the 80s....where everything I did was with finger tapping. I was actually doing 4 finger tapping with both hands...., but it became like everything....everyone trying to one up each other in stead of trying to be themselves.........Well I can do 4 fingers on each hand, and My tongue....oh yeah....well I can do 4 finger each hand, My tongue, and My D!<k......on, and on.... LoL.

15. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I simple "I can't" would have been sufficient.:roflmao::rawk:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL that would've be My answer if it was true. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I bet you play guitar like Trubisky plays football. Every once in a while you get something flashy but mostly boring.
    :eek::guitarplayer::twisted:

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Why so hateful. I tell You what ....break down what I'm doing in the above video, and give it a try....., or maybe one of Your Guitarists You know.....You hateful F**k.
    Oh....I'm going Hunting tomorrow....want to come with.....LoL. :lolol:

19. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Can you see through my clever 8th grade ruse trying to dare you into playing it?

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah. LoL....but...in My uppity 10th grade counter.....I will do anything , but that now. LoL

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    https://steelersnow.com/all-pro-safety-compares-george-pickens-to-randy-moss-special-player/

All-Pro Safety Compares George Pickens to Randy Moss: ‘Special Player’

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie wide receiver George Pickens hasn’t received a ton of targets this year, but when he does, it’s usually a highlight reel catch. Nine times out of 10 Pickens is going to come up with a contested catch. Is it hyperbole to say that he makes Randy Moss-like grabs? It’s not a stretch, as Moss’ former teammate Rodney Harrison sees similar traits in Pickens.

“I think this young man is the steal of the draft. He reminds me of one of my teammates — Hall of Famer Randy Moss — because he’s big, he’s long and he makes a lot of big plays,” Harrison said prior to the Steelers-Ravens game on NBC’s Football Night in America.

Had George Pickens not suffered an ACL injury in spring practice prior to the 2021 season at Georgia, he most likely would have been the first wide receiver picked in the draft. Coupled with some character concerns, he dropped to 52nd overall and the 11 receiver selected. Among rookie receivers this year, Pickens ranks fourth in receptions (49) and receiving yards (729).

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I broke down the article paragraph into bullets

https://steelersnow.com/mike-tomlin-gets-defensive-about-george-pickens-and-his-character/
    • Pickens finished fourth among rookie wide receivers in receptions (52) and yards (801).
    • He especially excelled in stretching the field, as he led all rookie receivers in average yards per catch (15.4) and 20-yard receptions (17).
    • He was also a contested catch machine. Among 59 wide receivers with 70+ targets this year, Pickens finished first in contested catch percentage (67.9%). Nine of his contested catches were 20+ yards down the field, which was also tied for the most in the NFL.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1