1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WalterFootball.com

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Dec 26, 2012.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This is one of those sites I go to every year to look at draft options. Right now, I'm not sure I like who he has for rounds 1 and 3, but for round 2. I like it. Eric Reid out of LSU. I think he has potential first round talent, so getting him in round 2 would be huge.

They had us taking a small receiver (6') in the 3rd round, but the guy I saw who was still there who fits our scheme is Shayne Skov out of Stanford. Plays in a 3-4 now and very effectively. I think he could do HUGE things here. Getting a guy like Skov in round 3, would really help this team.

Now, in round one, I need help. They have us taking Barkevious Mingo out of LSU. I don't know much about him, but they say he is a speed rusher only and doesn't have moves to the QB. Anyone who can help me here?

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I seen on another site their mock had us passing on Teo and taking Mingo.

Cajun-

3. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Mingo- DE 6'5" 240lbs 4.60 40 time. Very raw and athletic.

Cajun-

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sounds a lot like Bruce Irvin from WVU, who the Seahawks drafted in the first round last year. That worked out pretty well for them.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be stoked with Mingo. The AFC North OT's would crap themselves the first few times he blasts past them as they are used to the power game of Harrison/Woodley.

If we got Mingo/Reid/Skov 1-2-3 our defense would be set. Reid = Ryan Clark with maybe more ball skills, and probably more 15-yard penalties to boot.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I saw a couple of drafts, one had us taking Teo in the first, the other had us taking Warmack in the first , a saftey in the sec, (cant rember his name), and Ball in the third.

7. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    GB_Steel..
    I can't figure out who is the best out of the following 3 for our 17th pick..Deon Jordan, Ansah or Mingo...

8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I keep hearing the following about Mingo...depends all on speed and has no moves if he doesn't win on speed. If that is the case, I go somewhere else.

9. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ansah, Jordan, Mingo in that order.

I don't like Mingo that high. Some would argue that he was the 3rd best LB on his own team ( Montgomery, Minter). I think "Ziggy" Ansah is the most complete and still has a higher ceiling than Jordan or Mingo. I do like the way Jordan moves in space and he's a gifted athlete but he's pretty soft at the point of attack. Mingo is a one-trick pony of the 1st degree and not worth a 1st rd pick IMO. I'm aware that he's being mocked as high as the top 10 in some places but I'm not buying it. I think by the end of the drafting process he'll be a late 1st - early 2nd rd pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIms6ImVG6w

Watch Mingo get man-handled by Jake Matthews (Bruce Matthews' son) in the Texas A&M matchup. I'd love to get Matthews..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  10. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Numbah, watching that film of Mingo reminds me a lot of what I saw on film from Bruce Irvin last year, and I thought the same thing about Irvin as you do about Mingo - one trick pony that isn't worth the 1st round grade. But here's the thing, while Irvin was going against Big East competition at WVU, Mingo is going against some of the best in the nation in the SEC and still creating pressure on the QB. I was dismissive of Irvin; I won't make the same mistake on Mingo. If a pass rushing presence is what we're after, there may be no better in the draft other than Jarvis Jones. I think it's a moot point though, after Mingo runs a 4.45 at the combine he'll go top-10! ;)

I do like Ansah, a lot, and that feeling will grow the more I watch on him. People want to compare him to JPP, but I think a JJ Watt potential could be realized. I think he has more power (Watt) than speed (JPP).

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Thats only because he just didnt get manhandled by the Tide in the National Championship game.

HACK

12. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I was liking Teo alot until he got exposed tonight. When you take bad angles, miss tackles and can't get off a block, it's a problem. Who knows maybe it was just a bad night...

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Mingo does have a very nice spin-move. My problem is spending a 1st round pick on a player that can't play all 3 downs. It's similar to my feelings on drafting a 2 down NT in the 1st. Of course that's just my take on maximizing the value of the draft.

14. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Alabama would have manhandled most of the top 25 guys not currently on the Tides roster.....Their starting 22 have about 4 Pro Bowlers...and 15 NFL Starters.

HACK

15. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    There's no doubt that Bama's O-line dominated the front seven of the Irish but when you have the chance to make a tackle, it has to be made. I'm a big fan of Teo but he didn't play well tonight, any way you slice it.

16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    THIS!

17. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    No qualms about that! We all have our own preferences and quirks about draft value, etc. While I share your feelings about a 2-down NT, rushing the passer will never go out of style. Well, I shouldn't say "never", not with Goodell around. I can't help but saying it again, we can go in so many directions with this pick and should have our pick of many quality players, I don't think we can go wrong.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think alot depends on the thinking of can we get a guy later if we pass on a certain position early.

let's say lacey at RB.

are there guys as good in the 2nd,3rd or 4th round that we could get that are maybe not quite up to his abilities but close? or teo at ilb. are there guys close to his skill level that could be had later in the 2nd or 3rd and not force a pick and maybe taking a lacey and then picking up an a.j. klien in the 3rd. which i think is an under the radar guy anyway, but overall with a worse grade then teo but very close? we are getting a very good player still but not skipping on other needs too, just to get that name.

is teo head and shoulders above the next few guys at ilb, then say barrett jones is on the OL? or the top wr. or the top OLB? or the top RB? do you get what i'm saying? i guess i'm saying do we pick a high pick in a strong position draft wise over a weaker ( in the draft) position early?

do we take lacey as a top RB because below him it thins out quick or a guy like teo when after him there are alot of quality ilb's to be had? both are positions of need. and i'm not just saying teo either, but just an example with these guys.:cool:

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    that's should be the criterion , and for that i say elam is a reach (while i love him ) the draft is deep at safeties , at first looking after jones or warmack there are a big drop , after lacy too but i don't want a rb in rd 1 , ilb is deep , if minter is around in rd 2 it's a no brainer otherwise i will take skow in rd 3 (if b.jenkins is gone ) and in rd 2 a safety reid rambo vaccaro one should be there

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    whats nice about jones is he's right at the top in 3 positions. T,C,G. not too many like that come along very often. i don't see jones dropping to round 2. he does to many things at a high level. he could fix an O-line for teams. you need a LT? he can do it. you need a center? he can do it. you need a guard? he can do it. you need your qb roughed up a little mid game? he can do it. he's much more can't miss then DD or pouncey was in their drafts.:cool:

21. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Jones has done one thing at the collegiate level.. DOMINATE.

He's not only dominated, he"s done it at 3 different positions. If we could somehow land one of, Barrett Jones or Jake Matthews in the 2nd or Hugh Thornton in the 3rd or 4th, I'd be thrilled.

22. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    if barrett jones falls to 49 i see no condition where the steelers don't pull the trigger. not as sure about matthews unless they think gilbert is their next left guard. the steelers place so much emphasis on position flexibility along the line and jones gives so many options.

23. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Pretty sure Mathews it's going back to school

Hack

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we have 4 first round picks and a second in our front 7 on defense. we have one 1st rounder that rarely saw the field this year as our only one in the secondary. it's manned by 4th rounders and below. one of them is also aging fast and our FA pickup is too. i just think that's alot more pressing of a need on defense. i'm still an elam fan for the top spot. i'm also not sure i wouldn't get two safeties in this one with the talent. we do have room at the inn.:cool:

25. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011