1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace's Replacement

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerfnVA, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Seems he can take the top off. 6' 1. 195 not really small and being from a small school, maybe worth a 6th or 7th rounder just for the speed. With the right teamates and coaching could turn into a Mike Wallace type of player but if we do hopefully he will actually catch the balls thrown his way. I went to school and played ball at Mt. Union a few years before Garcon went there but went up for homecoming and he totally dominated d3 but he was able to adapt and Shorts III from Jacksonville both made the jump Id say they are worth more than their draft rounds.

2. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
  3. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    First of all, no he didn't run a 4.19

Second of all, why was he just average, when not even in D1?

5. SteelerfnVA

Nov 7, 2011
    Some just dont blow coaches away. Garcon for one just cause I am a alum but I am sure there are plenty others in the league right now that didnt have the Div 1 shot straight out of HS.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I would take a late round flyer on him ESPN is saying 4.19 also

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'd rather have a guy who runs great routes, has great hands and is clutch at thend end of game and on 3rd down. Speed is great, but the thing with Wallace it's his only weapn, Wallace can catch the long ball but horrible in most other aspects of the game. Terrible on 3rd down and would rarely show up a the end of game's when you needed a good drive to win.

8. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment but I saw the list recently of like the top 20 combine 40 times... Almost all of the guys never lived up to their draft position. There were a lot that I had never even heard of.

9. Dick Shiner

Dick Shiner Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Maybe he consistently outran "not even in D1" quarterback's arm . . . ?

Heck, Ben had a hard time getting the ball deep to Wallace their first year or two together.

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Maybe... but I'm sorry I just have a hard time seeing it. If he's an UDFA sure why not, but I wouldn't spend a draft pick on him.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There are better choices and I don't want to replace Wallace anyway, I want a fast big WR that can out muscle CB's. You can't teach speed but neither can a guy of Wallaces stature do the things like Boldin does and I think that comes into play far more often per game then hitting that hr ball that Wallaces speed presents.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This portion of the scouting report from the article seems to set him apart from Wallace:
    He also tracks the ball well and has the ability to jump over cornerbacks in close coverage.