1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace will not be a pat, Ward might be a Brownie

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Mar 3, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's right, there's no way the Patriots are going to make Wallace an offer. First, Bill Belichek doesn't give up picks, he stockpiles them. Secondly, Brandon Lloyd has already said he wants to go where Josh McDaniels is. So look for Brandon Lloyd to sign with the Patriots. Also, they have publicly stated they are interested in re-signing Ochostinko. If those things happen, they don't have a need for Wallace, especially since it will cost them a 1st rounder.

That's a prediction I'm pretty sure of. The next one is just something I'm pulling out of thin air.

Ward is going to sign with the Browns. They desperately need a veteran WR like Ward to help that team in their development. That's a very young team, especially the offence. They have no leadership or veteran presence. All of you who have played sports at a high level before know that you need to learn how to win. A desire to win isn't enough, you really do need to learn how to get it done. Ward will teach those young receivers what it takes to win. I don't think Ward will get a ton of interest around the league, but he will get interest from the Browns because they need someone like him.

What do you think?

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    man I'll be sad if Ward is n a stains uniform next year

3. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would be a little surprised if Ward signs with an aweful team. I would think he would want a chance to win.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree about the pats. at least as it stands right now. they are said to be 20 mil under the cap. i saw they are going to franchise welker. thats 9.4 mil as we know. they are set to lose 3 starting linemen. ocho to be signed. not to mention they have lost another db and have to sign some defensive help badly this year. i don't think they have the money to sign wallace to a big contract. :cool:

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I wouldn't care if Ward goes to the Browns. They're going nowhere... If he went to the Ravens or Bungles, or Patriots... I'd be devastated.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know. He's won the big one twice already. For me, his playing on will be to keep pushing his career stats rather than going for any team glory.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I could see Ward ending up with the San Fran 49ers. He would fit that style of offense pretty well as he is still a very good blocker and he can still get open in the short routes underneath. In addition, they have a chance to win and he wouldn't feel like he has gone to a Steeler rival like the Pats, Ravens, or another AFC rival.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    That's not a bad call, actually.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ward doesn't need the money, If I was him it would
    have to be a contender.

10. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm interested in shaner's thinking. I agree about the Patriots and, taking that thought further, other teams badly in need of an WR will think twice about giving up that first round pick. I'm also thinking the clowns won't be the only needy team looking at Ward. He does love winning, but he also loves mentoring and teaching younger players how to get it all done. In brief, he loves being a leader. But Hines has a lot of heart and may not want to go with any North Division rivals. After all he knows those teams and their drawbacks better than any of us. I really like this discussion and it's going to be very interesting, and fun, to see what happens with hINES.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think Ward will first go out looking to join a playoff contender.....if he finds no takers....He will take what he can get....and if its a choice of equal money between lets say the Seahawks and Browns...I could totally see him taking the Browns, Ravens, or Bengals....The Steeler coaches are the ones who don't want him back...IE Tomlin.....what better way to prove you can still play than by playing the Steelers twice a year....and showing them personally.

HACK

12. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i don't think ward has the luxury of really choosing where he wants to play. i don't think he's as coveted as many would like to believe. to be honest, i'd be surprised if there is any team in this league that will offer a washed up, ex-star in his late thirties a $925,000 contract.

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the Browns will offer him a contract. They need help at WR badly. They have a pretty good young WR in Little and I'm sure they'll add another one to the roster, but they need some veteran leadership.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think ward is going to be a falcon. They could use him plus its a dome and his home. That is about the only team that could get him and me not be pissed about it.

15. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed. If I'm the 49ers (and I am, in the MB draft!), I'm looking for two WRs in the offseason. A deep threat, and a smart, crafty veteran that has a chance at instilling some kind of good values onto the younger guys (Crabtree). Ward would fit in and could get 20-30 catches, make some good blocks, work with the younger guys. He'd be a benefit to the team.

For him, he gets another year of play, on a team he doesn't have to feel bad about playing for, great weather, and a chance to win.

16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Hines in a stains jersey would make me SICK.

17. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Don't count out the Pats, at some point acquiring picks does nothing if they don't produce when drafted. With Wallace they're getting a proven commodity and they have the cap space to do it. To me the question is, is Wallace the receiver the Pats want and if they do make an offer are the Steelers willing to make the necessary cuts/restructues to match. Belichek has to know that his recent draft picks haven't produced like they would like so going after Wallace with the necessary cap room while sticking it to a conference rival is good fiscal as well as football strategy.

18. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Not sure why everyone is thinking Wallace is gone.The Steelers tendered him as a first rounder. Even if the Pats or any other team makes him an offer the Steelers still have the option to match it. I think the Steelers are playing russian roulette, hoping no one makes an offer because they dont want to lose a first rounder, but what this also does for Pittsburgh is allow them to keep Wallace if no offers are made and not cost the team Franchise tag money ( 9 Mill + I believe ). I think this is a risky yet calculated move since this years draft class is deep in WR plus there are some good FA WR's on the market as well. I like the risk, if it pans out the Steelers keep Wallace around for 1 more year or at the very least have all summer to work out a long term deal.

19. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:
    my thoughts exactly.

I can see him going to the pats though, they love signing aging vets on offense. think ochocinco, crumpler, branch, fred taylor

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think there's a pretty good chance that the Pats will make a run at Wallace. Receiver is probably the diciest position to draft in the NFL. How often do we see guys who are world beaters in college not make it in the NFL for a variety of reasons. Wallace is:
    1. Fast - his very presence will require that safeties play deeper than they would ordinarily play against Welker and the TEs. This opens up the middle of the field for Brady. NE's #1 weakness on offense last season was that they had nobody to draw safety attention to the outside.
    2. He's not a diva - this is important because the WR position is notorious for being filled by me-first whiners.
    3. He is proven - clearly no bust here with back to back 1,200 yard seasons.
    4. He's young for a free agent WR, and can still be coached to be even better than he is.

Brandon Lloyd is 30, and has had ONE good year in his career. He may end up in New England, but not as their shiny new #1 WR option. The Patriots haven't done well drafting WRs, so it makes perfect sense that they go for a guy in free agency that fills the need. I think it makes perfect sense for the Pats to make a full court press to get Wallace and strengthen themselves and weaken a rival. I say it's 50-60% likely that they offer him a lucrative contract.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Ward went to the Browns, he would have a hard time retiring as a Steeler. They would not be able to let him back in the offices. He would never be able to get the smell off of him.

#$%* the Browns

22. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I disagree after losing the Super Bowl the Pats are not a feared team anymore and they need a fast WR. How long before Bill B. starts cashing in those draft picks to build a "Dynasty" before he retires!

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree with those who say that Ward will want to go to a winner. It doesn't matter that he already has 2 rings. He wants another shot at one. I don't think he's going to sign with someone just to play. He wants to play to win.

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You might be right, but his options are going to be very limited. Not a lot of teams are going to come calling.