1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace vs Brown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by diehardsteel, Aug 7, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  2. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Problem is one is in camp and the other is not... Wallace better wise up quickly get his rear in camp and hopefully can get a reasonable contract extension. I like Wallace but this holdout is making it tough, especially if he is holding out for $5 million in turning down 5 for 50 wanting 5 for 55.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    who is this wallace you speak of? :cool:

4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah never heard of the guy :)

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    is he a player on our team? i haven't heard anything from camp about him. :cool:

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    is he a player on our team? i haven't heard anything from camp about him. :cool:[/quote:w5rg0u4f]

I vaguely remember someone on the team last year named Wallace but he is becoming less significant then this new kid Brown ;)

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wallace is not coming to camp,we will not use the tag on him next year and he knows it.....Wallace is just going to wait until he can hit the open market....He has missed to much time already,a lot of the O has been installed and now is time to start adding wrinkles and different focuses of Routes on option routes.....Wallace has missed to much and will never catch up anyway at this point.....If he did the OC ,Ben and the rest of the Team would have to slow up while Wallace catches up...BS....

Wallace is a poor blocker and a bad fit for the new system anyway....Time to give Plax a call....

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, the Steelers reportedly offered him $50 million. They offered that to someone who's a bad fit for their system??? WOW they are idiots!

Wallace is a good fit for any system, and the idea that it's too late for him to catch up with the offense is frankly a little stupid. You need to stop overthinking things, PWP. The man is a very special player that we are not as good without. But whatever helps you sleep at night...

9. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Busman - You should always quote and give credit when using someone else's words in your signature. It's even funnier when you know it came out of Betty White's mouth!

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I just assumed Busman was Betty White. :shrug:

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    LOL i about spit my coffee out. :roflmao: :cool:

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Well see here is the problem. I dont know where it came from and it was not Betty White. Thats as much as I know

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah only if the quote came from Betty White. Its urban legend that the quote came from Betty White

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well 50 Milliion is a fair price for a Good WR.....Plus Wallace has earned some money under the BA system,I think the BA system helped him out play his contract....I am sure the FO kept that in mind when they made him the offer....Now moving forward the Team could use his speed ,but they would need to force that issue with the play calls....The Bread and butter of the new system is the PA.....Most of the Bombs have been off of PA....The swing pass game uses the WR to make that 1 block to free the RB....The quick pitch that Rainey ran in from the 10 required the WR to make that stellar 1 on 1 block....
    Also precise route running is huge as in the PA game and in the quick release game a lot of times the QB will turn around and fire it to a spot or look up from the play fake and fire the FB....Wallace needs the Camp to get that timing and trust down he needed this off season to work on his blocking..

Pundints dont report a lot of these things ,but I know the system and being a Good blocker at WR is basically a must ,unless you game plan around it as I stated....So did the FO believe that Wallace could work on his bloking ?Did the front Office believe that Wallace could work on his route running?Of course they did to the tune of 50 Million,,again part owed and part as a belief of what he can do......Now after missing enough time they have took all the Offers off the table...The FO had their best Offer on the table and wanted Wallace in Camp growing with his new OC....He failed to do that so now he is stuck with 2.7 until he proves his worth again so to speak...

Hold Outs have bad years esp. young ones now throw in the new OC and Wallace really has no chance to have a great year at this point....So agin Wallace is a bad fit for a precision type /PA type of Offense at this time in his career....Does he have the tools to develop into that type ??I think he does as well as the FO....Now the Question becomes is he willing to do so???His attitude towards the money goes a long way towards his attitude towards working on his craft.....Usually when a guy thinks he is worth top money he thinks his skills are at the top as well....If that's the case Wallace has already seen his best days as a Pro.....Teams figured him out late last year they realized he was a poor route runner and pretty weak at the POA....So they Jammed him and over powered him and kept help over the top...

To overcome that he must get more physical ie Blocking...He must become a precision route runner ie. Get to OTA'S get to Camp,stay after practice and work on rote running,go to WR camps in the Summer things of that nature instead he is playing Show Me The Money.....

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting read. In particular:

I would have liked a little more on Brown (the basic point is what we already know, that Wallace drew better coverage) in terms of route running etc.

17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Wallace is starting to make me angry.....I am all about him getting his money...it is his right to try and get the best contract he can get.....that being said....in such a "TEAM" sport....where guys play "hurt" because they do not want to let their teammates down....where Ben limps onto the field because he knows he is the teams best chance to pull out a win....Where Troy is lying about concussions so they don't take him off the field.....on a team where they have used the term a "BAND OF BROTHERS"

Mr. Wallace...you are letting your ego effect your team....you are letting your wallet possibly effect the final destination for you and your so called "brothers"

Sign the damn tender...get to camp..and let Omar, Colbert and Bus Cook figure out your money.

He wants to negotiate a better contract...and there is no negotiating until you sign your tender.....pretty straight forward...just like the routes you run.

HACK

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Ooh, burned! Just like the DBs he goes against.

I agree though, he needs to sign the damn tender if he wants to stay with the Steelers. The problem, I think, is that he's a-ok with not staying with the Steelers.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will take Antonio Brown anytime any place. He can do it all,
    and with ease. His ceiling is much higher than Mike Wallaces.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I tend to agree. His attitude alone makes him the better choice . His work ethic is much better and it is this which will have him improving and surpassing Wallaces abilities in the next couple of years. I predict he will have an amazing year and we will all forget about Wallace the same way we forgot about Holmes ( at least I have forgotten)

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Without getting into a debate about who is better between the two, I thought everyone could agree that Wallace has a much higher ceiling. Ceiling means potential. How great can he be? Brown is great because of his ball skills and work ethic. He's an overachiever. Wallace can half ass it and do things Brown never will. Wallace has a higher ceiling.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is why I wish the article had a little more info on Brown's activity. However, I think the message of the article was pretty clear: just because he's holding out doesn't mean that Wallace is suddenly a worse receiver than Brown. It seems that for a lot of people Wallace is morphing into this bogeyman of the team who must be an awful player, slack in training, poor work ethic and inherently selfish, solely because he isn't playing ball for now. Granted, some of those things may well be true, but still...

23. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Wallace has the potential to be a Hall of Famer. I think Brown's work ethic is closer to that of a Hall of Famer. Problem is one is driven to over-achieve and one so far has had it come very easily to him. The question is will Wallace learn to be more like Brown in terms of work ethic??? My hopeful answer is yes and if so we have the best pair of WR's we have had since Swann and Stallworth... In my opinion.

But Wallace needs to get his arse into camp!!! :yeehaw:

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    IIRC Wallace was lauded for his work ethic in his first few years as a Steeler.

Just because he's being a PIA and holding out doesnt mean he's got a poor work ethic.

25. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Without Wallace and Mendenhall this team has no consistent big play threat. Defenses can play more aggressively with success.

Maybe a young guy could be a home-run hitter, but there are none proven. There are lots of great players such as Brown, Miller, and Redman, but not the home run threat. A good offense does not need one, but a great offense does.

Big plays determine a lot of games, and the defense has not been great at turnovers.

The team needs a speed deep/big play threat at receiver or running back (preferably both) to be a super bowl team imo.