1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace to be a Dodger!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mdbates2, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's a good signing. The guy has a ton of talent and will no doubt help the team. Do we get a compensatory pick then? :hehehe:

3. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    The article says No. APparently, Magic Johnson expects him to play the whole outfield - saving salary by playing with 7 players.

4. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Reread the article, no compensatory pick. Epic fail :(

5. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Reread the article, no compensatory pick. Epic fail :([/quote:2cts5ebd]

That's alright - looks like they're going to re-sign Sweed to replace him.

6. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's alright - looks like they're going to re-sign Sweed to replace him.[/quote:2p2q9cu0]

Oh, OK good, nothing to worry about then :lolol:

7. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011

Oh, OK good, nothing to worry about then :lolol:[/quote:1v9st5zp]

Not according to Tomlin anyway. He was quoted in the article.

8. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    With Magic being involved... I heard, Wallace will be the starting center for the Lakers also.. :)

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The funniest thing in the article is when they quote Tomlin. I've always thought that he talks in platitudes like that. He always says really obvious things. I actually hate to hear him talk about "the standard" and how all the guys are expected to perform at the same level. I mean do you really think that Tomlin holds Charlie Batch to the same "standard" as he holds Ben? If he does it is really unrealistic to think that. Also if that's the case then why pay Ben $100 million and not pay Batch $100 million? Anyway I'm just rambling now. Funny article. Everybody laugh. HaHaHa.

10. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm one who disagrees and believes that Tomlin is open and honest about his philosophy. I do NOT see his statements as platitudes. Why NOT hold Charlie Batch to the same "standard"? If he is called on to come in to a game, you either hold him to the standard or you expect to lose. The last thing I want is a coach who steps up to the mic and says something like, "Well, we lost Ben in the 2nd quarter, and we couldn't expect Charlie Batch to come in and actually lead this team to victory. I mean, what do you expect? We had our 2nd team quarterback throwing to our first team receivers. We can't win a ballgame that way!" I like to hear from our coach that no matter who puts on the pads on Sunday, he is expected to perform at a high level when he gets the chance to go into the game.

Back to topic - my son was HILARIOUS when he called me about this. He said, "Dad. Tell me it isn't true." I asked him what he was talking about and he mentioned the article. I pulled it up online and cracked up!

11. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I know what you mean about hoping everyone plays up to the same standard. I'm just saying that it is condescending for Tomlin to say that he honestly thinks Batch can make all the plays Ben can. I just don't like when coaches in general act like they have as good of a chance to win with some backup than they do with their money man. I just have a hard time taking Tomlin serious when he talks about a high standard and then keeps putting Willy Gay out there to get burned over and over. I know he's gone. I'm just giving an example. But as I said, the article was funny. Also, I really like Tomlin and I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine when coaches do that. I would rather them say to the media "Could you beat the Ravens with Charlie Batch?" In my opinion it's actually unfair to Charlie Batch to expect him to make all the plays that Ben can.

12. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Just want to disagree one more time. If Tomlin were to say "Could you beat the Ravens with Charlie Batch?", I would brand him a loser, and he would be sending the message to the team that they are not good enough. Again - it's a simple difference of opinion, but I like the fact that the coach will publicly state that he expects EVERY member of the 53 man team to win games and to play "above the line" (another platitude). What he says/thinks/does behind closed doors is better left there. :)

13. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So if he does one thing behind closed doors and another thing to the media then isn't he just pandering? The thing is that most coaches say stuff like that and then when the season's over they come out and say "well we just couldn't overcome the injuries..." Well which is it? Do they expect the guys to all play the same or do they have too many injuries? Although, I do think it would be unproductive to call a player out like that. I just know that if I'm watching a game and Ben goes down and Batch comes in I feel like our chances of winning are cut drastically. I don't expect Batch to play up to Ben's level I expect Batch to play up to HIS OWN level. That is what is actually fair to him. And I expect Ben to play ABOVE Batch's level.

14. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I do NOT think it is just pandering. I think that telling the media that your team can't win with its backup quarterback is a defeatist and losing way to coach and to deal with the media. The coach's job is NOT to open up his soul to the media anyway. It is to COACH - which has different meanings on different levels. A good coach knows what to say publicly and how to deal with his team privately. He knows what to deal with in relation to his coaching staff and how that may or may not be different than how he deals with his players.

For example - Ben goes down. I expect that Tomlin is going to communicate to the media that he has confidence in Batch to do the job and continue winning. Anything else is admitting defeat. At the same time, he may be saying to his players that the offensive line needs to step it up and that the receivers need to be able to adjust to Batch's level of play because he's not Ben. Further at the same time, he may be in PANIC mode with his OC, searching for a way to win with a quarterback who does not have the same skill set. None of that is pandering. It is simply exhibiting appropriate leadership at the appropriate level.

15. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    But my original point was that the author of the "story" portrayed Tomlin as a guy that does state platitudes. I know that it was satire but all humor has a shred of truth as well. That's what I thought was the funniest part of the article.

16. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I do agree with you that the Tomlin quotes really do top off the story. I also agree that his particular way of communicating with the media is very "quotable" and that using that in the article made it hilarious.

17. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I think you misintrepret this
    the standard is not how Ben plays or if Charlie can make the same plays
    the standard is winning
    the players job is to go out and make the plays they are capable of to win
    its up to the coachs to change the game plan to match who is on the field