1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace not going anywhere: possible franchise tag

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    By the fourth year you know what you are getting he hasnt improved much in route running and he wont fight for the football.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they tag him this year and a deal isn't done, next year we will have 3 WR's all up for a contract. :cool:

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :thumbs_up:
    Add to that - productive and durable. He's a MUST signing.

4. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I believe that Wallace isn't going anywhere, but not becasue they are going to franchise him. They can't and won't franchise him and frankly, now way he is worth the $9.4M it would cost even if the team could affrod it. He is a #2 WR! Steelers likely will offer him highest tender and no team will come in an beat it and then give us a first rounder. Teams realize he is this team's #2 and not even in the top 15 in the league as most valuable WR's. I'm gald he is a STeelerdon't get me wrong, but I'd rather lose him than Brown hands down.

5. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... ke-wallace

This would suggest that he has consistently improved every year in the NFL and he is definitely emerging as a #1 WR.

He also has absolutely NO baggage in terms of health or off-field issues.

Get a deal done - it's a no-brainer.

6. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    what we have to take into consideration is that wide recievers do not produce their first years it takes them a couple just to learn the system and work on timing with the QB. If you have a franchise QB a big name wide out is worth every penny.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They will absolutely not franchise Wallace. That would mean paying him $9 million. They are not going to give him nearly that much money, I promise you. It's not even up for debate, it's not going to happen. I personally think they'll wait and see if they can get a 1st round pick for him.

8. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I wonder how many of the MB members believe that if the Steelers were offered a 1st round pick before the season started for Wallace they would've taken it? I don't think there's any way it would've been accepted. Why would they now?? If #7 is ticked about BA and the hiring of Haley, how happy do you think he'd be to see Wallace depart?

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    At the beginning of the season we didn't know Brown was going to be as good as he has turned out to be. With Brown and Sanders, it makes Wallace disposable, especially when he's going to want huge money, and we may be able to get a 1st round pick for him. Also, we didn't have salary cap issues last year, now we do.

A lot changes from year to year, just because something didn't make sense last year doesn't mean it doesn't this year. Besides, they may still lock him up, but they will not be using the franchise tag on him.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    wallace is not going anywhere .

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Wallace is cocky and has Redi-Mix hands sometimes but he has speed, world class speed that takes the tops off defenses.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it is a gamble to only tender him ,but as I stated with the cap that's really all they can do.....Most assume he won't get a offer sheet I say he does....This draft is deep in WR'S the FA market has a lot of talent there as well.....The problem is there is only a couple of WR'S in the draft with elite speed ,and it is the same on the FA market.....IMO the new rules will force Teams to look for those type of guys and there simply not enough to go around this year....

I will also add I think Brown is better anyways and almost as fast,Sanders is almost as fast as well,,,IMO we have got to much speed at the position and we could use a bigger,stronger, possesion type WR,which the draft and the FA market are loaded with.....

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm start to be worried , we can still match the offer i hope the pats look elsewhere

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think your seeing the franchise tag used here just to buy more time(couple months) to work out a long term contract. Same thing they did with Woodley a couple of years ago.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Its going to be the bengals we have to worry about. Espn says baltimore also but they dont have the cap space either. The bengisals have two number 1s and a bunch of cap space. Also if they offer him a huge roster bonus we are screwed becuase thats not pro rated. Throw in team have to get to 789% of the cap this year means if we dont tag him kiss him good bye. Im not saying tag him i would love to pivk up one of the three tall wide outs in the draft with the extra first. I would want floyd. Think about brown floyd sanders and cotchery. Then youthe have millerthe aand for nowthe suanders whocould i stillthe think hasthe huge potential . That is a group of wrs that really will cuase match up problems.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    and if they don't reach an agreement ? we can't carry a 10 milion tag

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    maybe is not that bad we can have two first picks and the second for the trenches and then we can find another good wr in the third , without investing a lot of money . a bigger wr could solve a red zone problem too , just don't miss the pick :praying:
    maybe stephen hill or juron criner

18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers have to do something to keep him off the Patriots or Begnals.
    Or
    Use the first round pick to get someone on D that can cover Wallace.

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Aj green and wallace would be scary to go ub against.

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Wallace could just sugn the tender and ignore other teams but i dont know if he is the i would rather win and still get decent money or leave and get paid and take the risk. I dont see new england getting him. That is not really them they love tgeir first round picks

21. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I say tender him, if he walks when we could match its because someone over paid for him.

I would use that extra first for another D lineman, to go with the OL- OL that I would be looking for in the draft as it sits now for first 2 rounds... You add 3 young lineman to both sides of the ball to go with the youth that was brought in the last 2 years..... that would be my plan anyways. Plus the WR scout has been balls of last- maybe he pulls another one later in the draft again.

22. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Love Wallace, get him signed! Need to keep Ward for one more year, reduced rate, let him retire a Steeler, that's a must for the fans, at least most of them.

23. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't think the Steelers will use the franchise tag because that means they will have to clear roughly $20 million off their current cap number(the 11 million they are over the cap right now plus the 9.4 million to franchise him.) They have too many other holes to fill. They may benefit more from an extra number one, even if it is in the twenties. It will suck if we have to face him twice a year as a Bengal or once a year as a Patriot but the Steelers tend to defend no. 1 receivers well and our cupboard is not bare. It is time to rebuild the defense, with or without Wallace.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think we need to just work out a long term deal. Right now we have a little bit of leverage when we can tender him something like 2.6M. Next year, we have a lot less when the only alternative is the tag. Make the cuts that we all know are coming like Hampton, Kemo and Colon, and get on with doing a deal before we have to deal with another team making an offer.

25. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I really don't see a way we get a deal done with Wallace this year. He has all of the leverage and I think the franchise tag for wallace is out of the question. If we tender him with the first, someone is going to take him and put a high roster bonus this year so we can't match. I'm not opposed to getting a 1st for him, because with the way we draft in the 1st rd, we could get 2 solid players at a position that needs help.

I think we need to pick who we want at WR, because i don't think if we signed Wallace that we could keep Brown and Sanders after next year. And they will be cheaper. Plus with the new offense i think we will have enough weapons to go around. Especially with the ball probably going to Heath more and a healthy Sanders.

Also, we would commit all our money on him and that would take out being able to get any free agents, which i think is a possibility this year. Maybe not top level guys, but a solid player or two (similar to when we signed Ryan Clark).

I wont be upset if we get a deal done with Wallace, because i do like him but i'm not sure how great Wallace will be once he loses a little speed, and who knows when that will be. Could be sooner than we think.