1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace is Staying.......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Mar 13, 2012.

1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nah I don't think so bud. Still very young with plenty of upside.[/quote:3hecoyhg]

Really not getting the Wallace is overrated thing....he was DOUBLE TEAMED last year which is why AB had such a great year. I will be really unhappy if Wallace leaves.....

2. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Really not getting the Wallace is overrated thing....he was DOUBLE TEAMED last year which is why AB had such a great year. I will be really unhappy if Wallace leaves.....[/quote:3o0gfixk]

Plus Ben was injured in the last few games.

3. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Really not getting the Wallace is overrated thing....he was DOUBLE TEAMED last year which is why AB had such a great year. I will be really unhappy if Wallace leaves.....[/quote:22gjd7sk]

I don't get it either. It's not his fault Ben can't hit him in stride. If those two can get that worked out Wallace will be a scoring machine and the longer he plays the better he's going to get at running routes, blocking and dealing with the double team. No he's not a rookie but he's still very young with a lot to learn yet. I think some of these folks are expecting him to perform like a savy 8 year vet or something and that's not a very realistic expectation IMO.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't get it either. It's not his fault Ben can't hit him in stride. If those two can get that worked out Wallace will be a scoring machine and the longer he plays the better he's going to get at running routes, blocking and dealing with the double team. No he's not a rookie but he's still very young with a lot to learn yet. I think some of these folks are expecting him to perform like a savy 8 year vet or something and that's not a very realistic expectation IMO.[/quote:qh380yeb]

I agree with the point that he can become a better route runner and a better blocker...The qustion is does he have the desire to do so?As Coach T would say ,'It's not what your cabable of doing it's what your willing to do'.

IMO he doesn't show the type of effort I would like him to...One specific play was against Denver when he tried to shadow block for Redman and give Redman the sideline...There was one guy left to beat and Red wanted to get inside the block ,but Wallace made a poor effort so Red had to do a little juke and bounce outside and then he was knocked out of bounce...

Wallace had a lot of poor effort blocks in the open field ,this is a huge part of being a great WR IMO...It also bothers me that Brown gets all the praise for working out and film study as well as compliments from the RB'S about his down field blocking....You can see this in the games ....So as I stated Wallace can become a complete WR, but is he willing to do so?

5. bigdaddyK

bigdaddyK Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2012
    If it wasnt for the 1st round pick he would have been the 2nd best fA wr behind VJ. It has been 10 years since a team as signed a RFA of another team. With the salary cap due to go up next season a think they will franchise Wallace next year while siging brown long term. Hampton and his 8 mill cap it will be gone so that will cover browns money.

6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That isnt a good gauge. Before this year, a team would have to give up 2 picks(1st & 3rd round ).

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The RFA used to be a 1st. and a 3rd. rounder.....Now it is a whole new ball game IMO...If you need a player at that position do you value the potential draft pick higher or said player ?

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the market on WR's just took a huge jump in salary with Calvin Johnson getting an 8 yr deal for 130 million. That sets the bar kinda high on resigning or aquiring free agents in the future.

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think this is ridiculous and I hate to see this kind of excess. I wish fans at times would stop buying tickets and all of the nfl licensed products just so these greedy players would have to take pay cuts

Bman

10. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    :this!: :amen:
    It's getting crazy!!

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Most of the offensive struggles last yr was bad preparation, bad game planning, and bad play calling.This of course was the fault of "the OC formerly known as _ _". We'll see a totally different offense this year - Wallace stays and both he and Brown light it up plus Redman runs for 1000+ yds. We'll have a balanced attack, score TD's in the red zone, and finish in the top 10 in scoring. Can't wait!

P.S. All of the above assumes we add a stud or two to our offensive line. If not, all bets are off.

12. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Fox sports says the chargers are going to go after Wallace hard now that they lost jackson. Don't count them out. (although they have eddie royal coming to town on Thurs. and I don't think they could afford both) :yeehaw:

13. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
  14. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    There pick is right in the floyd range. I would take floyd over wallace. Wallace runs a 4.27 at six foot. Floyd ran a 4.3 flat a six foot four. So the speed is really a wash. I so thats leaves the height and the red zone threat. Also he will be cheaper then wallace. Dont take this as i want wallace to leave but if he does we have to replace him. Brown and sanders just doesnt cut it. Sanders seems fragile so far so even if we get cotch back that would leave brown cotch and..... we just cant take that risk.
    Now my case for wallace like i said i dont want him to go anywhere. He brings more then just deep routes. He does draw constant doubles qnd here is where i fualt arains. If he had used this offense with just a little more of a running mind nendy could have torn things up this year. He did have his best avg of his career but back to my point with wallace out there you aren't putting eight in the box. We could have had a very good running game. Wallace creates mismatches all over the field not just on him. Floyd could also but wallace has proven it. I really havent heard much on his work ethic but that tells me he is average at best. You hear stories of the work outs oftaylor brown sanders b.batch and gay. Thats all just from last year from what i read it is a head to head race between b.batch and brown with brown winning. Work ethic is a big thing with me so i look at stuff like that. I dont know it seems win win to me

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still wouldn't rule out the Steelers using the late #1 they get for Wallace to draft 6-4 Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill.

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Haley has had big targets everywhere he haw been. Heck he had bowe and still drafted baldwin and brought in breston.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He is steeler bred so I wasnt worried but how much will it cost us?

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Don't rule out a team making an offer to Wallace just because it hasn't happened yet. Kirwan and Ryan were talking about it yesterday afternoon, and they made a really good point. With Wallace being an RFA, the Steelers have 7 days to match an offer. That means that anyone signing Wallace needs to put their WR plans on hold for 1 week after signing him before they know if they've got him. Nobody is going to do that while there are other quality WRs out there. Interest in Wallace may start picking up in the next few days, and we may see activity on that front soon.

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Mayock is pushing the Broncos to sign Wallace. Cincy is still a slight chance but I still say he stays. I hope we sign him to a 4-5 year deal or he signs elsewhere and we get the 1st rd pick.

The worst case scenario is is he signs his tender, plays this year and hits UFA next year.

Cajun-