1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace is GONE!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I dont think anyone is 'hoping.' I think looking at the situation it seems like a very real possibility.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Welcome to the board, dude.

I think you're right that the claims about where their hearts are etc. often seem to be made around contract renewal time.

I think Wallace isn't quite the complete package yet, but this season he's got a whole lot of attention on the highlight reels, and his agent is probably aware of that.

3. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I just know the Ravens are gonna take him..

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They cant afford him either. They havent signed flacco or rice yet and im pretty sure they close to the cap alsp.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Let's see what the market bears. I'm not sure any team is willing to sign Wallace to a huge contract with a gazillion in front loaded guaranteed money AND give up their first round draft choice for Wallace. If they paid close attention the second half of the season then they have reason to be concerned.

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If Wallace goes and Brown gets double teamed wouldn't this open up Sanders ? ( if he can stay healthy) then Sanders could be this seasons Brown. It would also open things up for Haley's favourite player .. Heeeeeeeeath!!! We'll still have the weapons to do some serious damage, no worries here.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NFL.com has an article about the radio talk show on it. Wallace said he would be interested in the Niners and the Pats because they are playoff contenders and that he also wants to get paid. I think as fans we should start getting prepared for the worst case scenario. They can keep him but in order to do it they will have to decimate the team in the way of depth to do so.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Let's hope he goes to the nines over the pats

9. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't agree with paying a ton of money for Wallace especially since he basically disappeared after the mid part of last season. HOWEVER, if this team loses Wallace, then they better re-sign Crothery (sp?) and find anpthe WR in the draft or free agency, because they won't have enough playmakers at that position. It remains to be seen if Heath will be a focal point of the offense. It remains to been seen if Sanders can stay healthy. It remains to be seen if Brown can actually be the #1 when no other reciever on the field is getting doubled. I want them to find a way to keep Wallace, otherwise, they better have a very good plan B!

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I think if they get the extra first they will takoe a tall wr. If you look at all the offenses haley has been in they have had tall wrs something we have none of.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ) then Sanders could be this seasons Brown. It would also open things up for Haley's favourite player .. Heeeeeeeeath!!! We'll still have the weapons to do some serious damage, no worries here.[/quote:thadfqvd]

jim, that if he can stay healthy is the big issue. i like sanders alot. i think he's actually the most gifted receiver of the bunch and i've been a big brown fan from the time we drafted him. i knew he was a good receiver. i watch MAC football and have seen him play alot, so i knew about him. sanders hasen't given us the credability to be able to rely on his services for a full year. he's a good player and most don't realize he's just a tick slower then wallace. which is still faster then most. but my concern right now is if he's out, at this point hines would be our #2 with brown. we just can't count on that. i think we will draft a wr high and get a few udfa's in here to compensate with. we have no choice right now. we need hines cap room. i hope sanders does stay healthy. we should be ok if so. :cool:

12. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Just curious... when else would a player have a need to make a statement like that?

13. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    $4 mill is what I thpought they said this morning? Could've been wrong but as of today I thought they said 4?

14. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Let's sign Sweed! He won't cost anything and he could be a lot better than Wallace if he would just hold on to the ball

15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Wasn't the same thing said about Wallace when they traded Santonio Holmes?

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    See now this is the problem that I have been seeing of late with the mindset of this organization and now the fans.You can't keep developing players for the league and then try to replace that now star with a mediocre player and hope to gain the same results.

17. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't see the connection tbh. But what I did see this past season was Wallace blowing up early and looking like a top 3 WR until D's started doubling him. Then I saw Brown start to blow up.

18. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I said this in another thread, but I'm not so sure this isn't all speculation. The team I see as most likely is the Bengals, because they have a ton of cap space... but they're also notoriously cheap.

But if I'm a team with cash to spend on a WR, why not go after Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, Desean Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, etc. You may end up paying the same or less for any of these guys and you're not trading away a first round pick in the process.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, at this point everything is pure speculation. These guys all want to be paid, and that's part of their ploy to drum up interest and pressure the FO to make a deal before free agency opens up.

I'd love to keep wallace, but obviously that could be a problem, it all just depends on whether or not any other teams have true interest.

The problem if we lose Wallace is that we will have no burner's to stretch the field and open up the underneath routes. Brown and Sanders are the same type of WR, similar to Welker. Losing Wallace would effectively put us in a similar situation as New England, bunch of underneath guys and no home run threat. Which effectively takes another dimension away from our offense hence becoming easier to defend. Ward, Cotchery, brown, sanders, all possession type receivers, I just don't see us being as competitive if we lose Wallace.

No way we draft a WR that makes an immediate impact, we'd probably be looking at later rounds, and we all know WR's all take time to develop and learn the system.

That being said, I really think we retain Wallace, as a 1st rounder and big contract is going to be difficult for many of the mentioned teams to commit to. I'm hoping these potential teams get scared away from his lack of production in the last half of 2011.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sure why people believe that Brown and Sanders are not stretch the field capable?? Brown and Sanders have both turned in 4.40 times there is a unconfirmed time of 4.25 on Brown from College...Anyway the point is 4.4 is faster than 99% of the NFL'S CB'S ,,PLUS the WR has all the advantages so there is no reason that both Brown and Sanders can't cbe used to create a 2 deep Safety look...

Plus with better play calling and better designed routes we need WR'S who can run better routes and fight for the ball 1v1....Wallace is not that good and I still say we get Quick in round #2 ,,he has that this is my ball mentality and the leaping ability and hands to make it happen...

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Brown is a burner i think he ran a 4.35 or something like that

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe NE are looking at Brandon Lloyd

23. jsinohio

jsinohio Member

Oct 18, 2011

Absolutely correct!! Wow...if all we're concerned about is someone taking the top off to get double teamed so Brown/Sanders/et al are open, just go get someone fast. Anyone from track & field we can go after? I'm not sure "catching" the ball is a huge prerequisite :roll:

24. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why not get Derius Heyward-bey, jacoby ford, or just about any WR from Oakland drafted in the last 10 years should do? Speed isn't everything. Maybe Brown and Sanders will prove otherwise, but they've not been running long routes, play after play. Most of the routes I've seen from them are short routes to give them a chance to break into open field. Not sure I've seen them run any long routes. They may be fine without Wallace, but I sure would feel more comfortable with him on the roster.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sanders is the burner. he turned in the 4.30 time before. he ran a 4.40 at the combine. brown is a 4.50 guy. he ran a 4.56 at the combine. he did turn in a 4.48 at his pro day. he's more quick then flat out fast. he has game speed. sanders is fast. as i said before he's just a tick slower then wallace, which is faster then most. he is the better route runner too. we really don't have to worry much about losing deep speed, it's still here. :hehehe: :matrix: :cool: