1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace is GONE!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Walace did a interview on Sirius this morning, and just by his words anyone can plainly see this dude is GONE! The Steelers do not have the money to keep him much less match an offer, so it will def suck, but I can live with an extra 1st rounder. Juts hope its near 20 and not 31

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We could get by without any player on offense except for maybe Ben. That's as long as we draft a dude to solidify the O-line though.

If we get something decent in return I'm cool with that. Double 1st round picks would be sweet!!!! :)

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    We won a super bowl with ward el and wilson im not worried about losing a wr.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yay another Wallace thread. I think the Steelers can work out something with him long term...unless he's wanting like 10mil a yr or something crazy. If they dont get a deal done before the deadline they will tender him at the highest level...i just hope hope hope they do not franchise him. If they was to loose him...it will suck, but I can get over it. I'd take a 1st for him and use it to upgrade other weak positions and draft another WR in the mid rounds, re-do Hines' deal...and resign Cotchery (as the 2nd/3rd WR)...and I'd be fine with that. I mean if Brown continues to play like he has been and Sanders finally stays on the field they could end up having to put a lot of money into keeping all 3 of them...money which they really dont have.

5. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm starting to think the front office is willing to take the 1st rounder for him and spend the money elsewhere.

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    At this point I'd take it. I'd miss him and such and he's a good player, but I'd take a first for him at this point.

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You cant keep everyone. It sucks, but as long as they keep Brown and Sanders they'll be okay. I guess the upside to this is that by losing Wallace they'd save $2.7M against the 2012 cap. Getting rid of Ward, then resigning him for vet minimum would save roughly another $3.5M. This $6.2M could be used to secure Brown and possibly entice Crotchery to stick around for another 2 or 3 years.

The way I see it, it pretty much comes down to keeping either Brown or Wallace. In a perfect world you would keep both. But this ain't Madden. Wallace is good, but I think ultimately Brown can be just as good. If I had to pick one, I think Brown would be it.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The decision is made easier after Antonio Brown's performance. Brown is a gamer.

9. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But, with the cap problem can they afford two 1st round picks in addition to the other picks. I know it will be cheaper than keeping him, but...

10. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Now wait a minute. I know this is probably just your opinion but how can you say "anyone can plainly see this dude is gone"? Wallace said that his "heart is definitely in Pittsburgh" and "that's where i'd like to be at". He does go on to say that this is a business and acknowledges he could end up going somewhere else, but that doesn't sound to me like he's clearly gone. He also said the Steelers and his agent are working hard to get a deal worked out and that he's staying positive about the situation. In the end you may be right but give it time ;-)

11. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Here's some of what he said.

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace says contract talks are "ongoing" with the Steelers, but conceded Wednesday that he may not return to Pittsburgh due to the team's salary cap situation.
    "[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business," said Wallace. "... So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do." The Steelers are trying to sign Wallace to a long-term deal in order to avoid extending him a first-round tender. He is not expected to be franchise tagged. Feb 22 - 3:44 PM

12. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Brown is a great WR but will he look the same once he starts receiving the double coverage that Wallace started getting mid season? Don't forget people, that one reason Brown looked as good as he did was because of the attention D's paid to Wallace.

13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Well, we may just find out...

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wallace is a restricted free agent. He's not "gone" unless the Steelers say he's gone.

15. lbsteeler95

lbsteeler95 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    My first post... anyway... I love how these guys say "My heart is in Pittsburgh and thats where I want to be".
    So take less money to fit yourself under the cap. Problem solved. Do any of these guys do that. Nope
    So take more money and go play in Cleveland or for the Rams or something have fun with that.

I'm sure we can find someone else to run straight down the field, maybe not as fast but really whats the differance.

The evil Tom Brady does just fine with receivers my Grandmother could outrun.

16. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011
    AMEN! Exactly what hasnt been said! Wallace has the D's eye while on the field so it allows room for Brown to move

17. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011
    For a 1st round pick and a cap hit of 9.4 million? When we are still OVER by 4 million as of today? Yeah, he is gone

18. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if he sign an offer sheet with a heavy salary front load we can't match and he is gone

19. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    The only way his cap hit is 9.4 mil is if he is Franchised. By tendering him the RFA tender (1st rounder) its like 2.5-3.5 mil. And where are you getting the 4 mil...the last I heard is they are still a good bid over (more than 4 mil...i keep thinking like 8-10 but I cant remember).

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i hope he goes to the bears , they have plenty of cap and need a wr , would be the best case scenario about the pick (19)

21. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure how many threads you have been reading, but the supposed situation Brown might find himself in IF Wallace is gone has been said at nausium.

22. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    And they said they will be making moves this off season!!!

Cha...Ching!

I love Miami or one of those lower teams to look to get good with a sure thing.

23. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Why hasn't anyone spoken about keeping Wallace and trading off Sanders?

We will then still be young and keep the speed of Wallace with Brown's ability? We know this tandem works. Plus the veteran hands of Cotchery...

Didn't Brown and Sanders have near Wallace speed also?

I have to say, I don't expect any of these guys to be cutting us deals anyway, once I heard the name "Young Money Crew" I didn't have a good feeling. I know it isn't supposed to exactly be literal, but it sets a tone that I don't like.

24. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    For those of you that hope that he just leaves for another team............better hope it's not NE, Balt, Cinci or the Texans. If he ends of leaving, I will hope that he ends up in the NFC!

25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't think Sanders has much value at this point. Just a lot of potential. Plus he's very cap friendly next year as is Brown. Wallace is already at $2.7M. I really don't think its financially possible to keep both. Well, I guess it would be possible, but it would only starve the team of talent elsewhere.