1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wallace is crazy - wants more than Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Mar 22, 2012.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If you don't ask for it you won't get it. I have no problem in him asking, now if he holds out or the team gives it to him that's different.

Cajun-

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The next 12 months are going to tell us a lot about whether Mike Wallace is a true Steeler, a la Hines Ward, or just a rent-a-player who does not belong in Black and Gold for his career. Apparently, Hines Ward contacted him recently and told him that he should do whatever he can to stay with the Steelers, because playing for them is like nothing else. I would like to have heard Wallace's reaction to that statement. I hope he took it to heart. Otherwise - my feeling is, "Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Thanks for playing your rookie contract for the best organization in the NFL."

3. Frick32

Frick32 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Would you sign him to a 2 year /$12.73 million dollar contract? The Steelers can keep him this year for the tender and next on a tag. $6 million a year for the next 2 years not a bad deal!

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That's not a bad idea, but that's a big cap number next season. If they can swing it it's a great idea... By that time Brown will be even more well established in the offense and we can re-sign him to a long term deal... and you start grooming Wallace's replacement in that tagged season whether that's Sanders or a draft pick.

5. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

i dont believe for a second mike is trying to scare teams away and that he wants to stay in pittsburgh. regardless of another teams offer, mike has the option of not signing it. if he really wanted to stay in pitt, he would have already signed the offer. it was reported that the two sides have met and the talks' went real well and were productive'. i believe wallace knows what the steelers are willing to pay and he chose to test the market and see if he could cash in with another team. i personaaly feel that he will test the market until the deadline comes, sign his tender and then sign an extension.

6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have no problem with the 120 mill figure......its the years LOL 120 mill on a 15 year back loaded deal...sure why not....LOL

HACK

7. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see how he's holding anyone hostage. I'm sure the Steelers already have a max number in mind based on all the other needs they have and they're gonna pay what they're gonna pay regardless of any other offers he gets.

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Amen :thumbs_up:

9. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, teams like the steelers don't pay WR's 8 years 120 mill. Can't afford too. Mike should be be happy if he got Garcon money from us 5 years 42.5 mill. I like Mike, but he really isn't worth all this. i think it is very possible he played his last year as a Steeler. No way he comes to camp without a new deal and its obvious the deal we can't give him isn't close to what he thinks he is worth.

Good organizations like the Steelers don't overpay for anyone.

1) To have a good team in the NFL these days you can't invest too much money in one position outside of QB
    2) You keep the players on your team thats main motivation is winning and playing for a great organization vs the one who are all about the big pay day

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

maybe this is his way of turning teams off and staying in pitt.

12. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Just like Holmes, who thought he was hot :bscow:

Young money will have no money! Have fun in the Arena Football League.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It may be Black & Gold colored glasses, but my initial reaction when I saw the report was exactly what you and Jim92 were thinking. Its impossible to say either way.

I am hoping that Wallace wants to really stay in Pittsburgh but knows the cap situation we are faced with this season. I am hoping he is trying to scare off other teams from making a tempting offer. He knows if someone makes him a big offer (of course nowhere close to 8 yr 120 million), he may have to do what is best for him and take it.

14. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    hes good but no way does he get megatron money

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think in 2013 the cap will go up no team is going to pay Wallace that kind of money only 2 receivers wil get a contract like that Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. If Wallace wants that kind of money they should let him leave in 2013 or franchise him.

16. mort159

Nov 14, 2011

We have 8 mill in cap space. i believe it was being saved to match an offer. we have plenty of needs we can use that on. So thats how i feel he is holding us hostage. If you want to be a Steeler, sign the damn deal. If not leave. Simple as that. This is the Steelers not a joke team that throws money around foolishly.

17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's interesting how so many people are being judgmental about Wallace's situation. I don't see anything at all wrong with him trying to maximize his payday. Depending on how things pan out this year and beyond, this could be his one and only opportunity to get a contract that will set him up for life. Remember, he's coming off a 3rd round rookie contract. While that's nice money by normal standards, it's not enough to provide him with long-term financial security. The rules allow him to shop his talents, and he should do that in whatever way he sees fit. This is his livelihood we're talking about here. Now, those same rules also require him to play for 2.74M next year if he doesn't get a long-term deal this season. So, if he holds out, then I will have a very different view. But for now, I don't have a problem.

Now, for those that are saying that he's holding the team hostage - how do you know that's what's happening? How do you know that the team hasn't just told him that they won't negotiate a long-term deal until next season, or until after the draft? How do we know that the team hasn't offered 4 years/20M, or something else that's way below his realistic market value? The 120M thing is crazy, but it's not substantiated.

My guess is that he plays this season, and walks next season. We'll get a 3rd round comp pick for him in 2014. I'd say that we would franchise and trade him in 2013, but I doubt we'll have the cap space to do that.

18. mort159

Nov 14, 2011
    We know the Steelers want to keep him and we know that the Steelers don't over pay, but are very fair in negotiators. If Wallce gets 5 years 40 mill (8 mill a year) to play for the Steelers or lets say 7 years 70 mill with another team, he still is set for life. Look at it this way...

Plax-left the Steelers for more money
    Randal El- left the Steelers for more money
    Holmes-was going to leave the Steelers for more money, but was traded before
    -look how they have done outside of the Steelers

Ward- stayed with the Steelers for less
    -look how his career turned out

Guys like Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley could have made much more money by going to the open market, but decided to sign an extension at significantly less money than they would have gotten to stay a Steeler. We have all seen it time and time again. These guys leave for more money and do nothing. Kendrell Bell, Plax, El, Chad Brown, Levon Kirkland. I live in Denver and Chad Brown is on sportstalk radio out here. He said that leaving the Steelers was the biggest mistake of his life and when he got to Seattle him and his wife were so out of place because all of the Seahawk players didn't care about winning and they would all go out and have a great time after games even when they lost and he couldn't stand it. He said his wife was very uncomfatable about all of it because she knew how bad it ate him up, so they stopped going.

We know the Steelers have been negotiating with him. It has been made public. Why would the Steelers want him to get into Free Agency? Would make no sense. Its obvious the money he is asking for is too much. If the Steelers paid every player what they really wanted or what they could get on the open market we would not have all the great players we have on our roster because we couldn't afford them.

I'm very surprised more of you don't fully agree with me on this. We all know how the Steelers operate and what makes this organization the best in the NFL.

19. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I posted this in another thread...

My only issue with Wallace is his ass was dogging in when Brown started getting attention. I think he shelled up. I was at the Broncos Steelers game, and more than a few times his ass walked back to the huddle (dont think he was hurt) , he put the offense behind on the play clock (I hate seeing the Steelers rushing at the line) and one time they had to call a timeout which was pretty costly.

You dont pay your WR because he on a team with a great QB.

Santonio with Ben > Santonio with Sanchez
    Fitz with Warner > Fitz with Skelton
    Deon Branch with Brady > Deon Branch with Hassleback and Seneca Wallace
    Alvin Harper with Aikman> Alvin Harper in TB with Dilfer
    Brandon Marshall with Cutler and in Pro Bowl with good QB's > Brandon Marshall with Chad Henne
    Wes Welker with Brady> Wes Welker with Cassell, Gus Frerotte, Joey Harrington, Dante Culpepper, Cleo Lemon
    Steve Smith with Cam Newton> Steve Smith with Jimmy Claussen, Matt Moore
    Eric Decker and Denarious Thomas with Manning > those 2 with Tebow
    Shannon Sharpe with Elway> Shannon Sharpe with Dilfer

Watch Brandon Lloyd this year with Brady

YOU DONT PAY A WR FOR HAVING A GOOD QB. THEY ARE EASILY REPLACED!

So no, Wallace not worth that kind of money. Ever think why the Steelers had so many average WR's before Ben, now they strike gold pretty often? I thought it would be easier to convince the chicken littles of this .

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wallace has made bold statements before so why would this suprise anyone. last year he proclaimed he would get 2000 yds. receiving. he knows he won't get huge money here next year either, because we have to sign sanders and brown too. we will keep the ones that are in our price range and he knows this. :cool:

21. mort159

Nov 14, 2011
    Agreed! I was at the Denver game also, Sucked pretty bad.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Couldn't agree more, not even close to being in Larry's league.

23. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly. If it's not Wallace it's somebody else. They deal with this almost every year and plan for all the possible scenarios so Wallace isn't holding anyone hostage here. It's all part of a very familiar process anymore to both the player and the team.

24. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    You guys don't really believe that do you? First of all, it's completely unnecessary. If he wanted to re-sign with Pittsburgh he's free to ignore offers from other teams, without being painted as some ******* in the media like he is now.

Second of all... Did you not hear the interview with Mike a while back saying he'd love to stay in Pittsburgh but he has to do what's best for him and his family, going on to say that could even include signing with the Ravens. Obviously he had no allegiance to this team, saying that.

It just doesn't make any sense to me why he would need to "scare teams away" if he wanted to stay here.

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Who knows what the real motivation is, but it won't take long before finding out if any of this is true or not. Once RFA period is over and Wallace doesn't get signed by anyone else, he'll have little choice, sign the 2.7 mill offer or show his true colors. If he's a diva, he could pull a Vincent Jackson and refuse to sign, or if he wants to stay in Pitt he'll agree to a long term deal, or he may want to test the market next year. In any case, if he's looking for big bucks from anyone, he's going to have to play lights out this year.