1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WAIVER PERIOD OFFICIALLY STARTS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler_george, Feb 3, 2020.

1. steeler_george

steeler_george Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Good bye Mark Barron. Sayonara to Ramon Foster the same. Time for some change.

Change can be good after all.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Barron, Foster & Chickillo almost certainly gone you would imagine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Only thing that saves Foster is Ben

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Needs him to see the foot being brought up so he can tell Pouncey to hike it low.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Pouncey only wants 1 man touching his thigh too

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Barron
    Foster
    McDonald
    Chickillo

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thinking they keep McDonald and let Vannet walk.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hard to say with that cap hit. They have to make up their minds. Are they trying to go all in for next year or are they building towards the future. McDonald is a few years older with a injury history and the cap hit. Vannett would make a good number 2 TE for the future and we did use a 5th to get him. If they are gonna sign Dupree, they might as well find the means to sign McDonald. You’re gonna keep the defense strong(on paper? You might as well give the offense a chance. Going into the season with Vannett as your number 1 TE is worrisome. IMO I let all the expired deals walk. Pick up the compensatory picks. Sign back the guys you can see being here and contributing the next 3-4 years.

To me you’re putting a lot of faith in the surgically repaired elbow of a 38 year old QB to save the day. Without a healthy Ben and he’s a huge question mark, you’re not competing next year. I feel trying to play it both ways is going to end up being a mistake,but we’ll see. By the way weren’t we supposed to get a update on Ben February 1? That’s what Rooney said....

10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I don't understand why people assume that players the fans want to let go will get big contracts with another team.

This past year, the team was 1 win away from making the playoffs, despite how poorly the offense played. They also came very close to beating SF in their stadium. If Mason (or Duck or Lynch) can make decent progress, and the team stays healthy, they can be competitive without Ben. (They will be better with him, but it isn't time to abandon ship.)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  11. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So here's a cynical question... esp when you pair it with the "Rooney is ok with attendance" thread... Is the team optimizing for "winning" or "butts in seats". Of **course** the first can drive the second but, if the ownership is unsure if Ben is gonna be good to go, isn't keeping the two bookends (BD and TJW) gonna keep people hopeful and tuning in (or, at the very least, tuning in/attending to see the OLBs bring the hurt)?

A decade ago, i seem to recall our D was a bigger draw than our O.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think after what we saw last year most fans don’t have much hope that we are a serious contender without Ben. From reading on various boards people seem to be split on whether to keep Dupree or not. My argument against Dupree is how is paying him going to affect the rest of our roster?I’m also of the belief we can replace him with a lower salary player enabling us to keep more pieces especially for multiple seasons as opposed to one with Dupree.
    As good as the D was last year we were fortunate to get as many TOs as we did. That is not a given and hard to duplicate. Even if the D somehow improves I don’t believe we have enough offense to compete for a SB without not only a healthy but also a effective Ben. SF has a very good defense as well and they showed last night that sometimes that’s not enough. You still need a QB to come through in the clutch. I like MR but he’s not ready to be that guy either right now.

My guess is the reason attendance was down was because most fans realized it was gonna be a lost season soon as Ben went down. Keeping Dupree isn’t gonna put fans in the seats. If Ben comes back the seats will get filled. If one of our other QBs shows more positive signs and the team starts winning, that will put fans in the seats. Ben will give most fans hope. If our other QBs aren’t ready to take the next step yet, or maybe they’re never ready. My plan would be to build the most complete team until we find a QB that can make us a contender again. Holding onto 3 contributors instead of 1 is the way to speed up the process. Not a 1 year SB or bust rental.....jmo

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not sure I understand the first sentence....

I’m a big believer in you are what your record says you are. I’m also not a believer in almost beating someone. I do agree if one of our young QBs can make decent progress they can be competitive. That’s also assuming the D plays as good as they did last year. I don't think it’s time to abandon ship but we may or may not have our future at the QB position on the roster. Until that question is answered we have to start finding and developing the pieces we’re gonna need to try and make a legitimate run at a SB, not being a pretender but a actual contender.

I’m the type of fan who doesn’t mind some down years as long as we have a plan for the future and are willing to make some tough decisions on both players and coaches if things don’t seem headed in the right direction. IMO I’d rather have bad season and the chance of drafting from a more talented pool of players than toiling around.500 and trying to sneak into the playoffs without a realistic chance of making noise when we get there. I realize you have to be in it to win it but I want to feel like we have a legitimate chance. IMO even if we managed to get in we weren’t a realistic threat.

14. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    1) Look at the sentence I quoted from you. You said you would let everyone walk and get the comp picks. My statement is, outside of Dupree, what other players do you expect to get a large enough contract from another team to affect the comp formula? If you don't think the Steelers should keep them, why do you expect other teams to pick them up and pay them significantly?

2) You said that your concern was the team "not competing". Playing close against the best NFC team is competing. If all you care about is winning and losing, you should have used the word "winning" instead of "competing".

Also, you might want to have a word with the other posters who said the 13-3 record from two seasons ago was not who the Steelers were.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Or a Dagwood Sammich

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    This link is where I got the idea from.....https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...d-free-agents-walk-for-draft-capital-nfl-news

Yes maybe I should of clarified....winning and losing....at the end of the day”competing against SF got us nowhere...

As far as the 13-3 season? It ended in a disappointing loss to Jax. That’s how I choose to remember it. Everyone is entitled to see it how they choose....

Edit: After further review nowhere in my comment did I say I was worried about the team “not competing “. What I said was with improved QB play they can be competitive. Meaning as competitive ,more competitive or simply competitive. Sorry I wasn’t more specific there. I didn’t say they weren’t. I did say I wasn’t a believer in close or almost. They were obviously competitive in a lot of their games but only managed to win 8 of them. I did say legitimate and realistic and stand by that. Despite being competitive for the most part they weren’t a realistic threat to win a SB...

17. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    "Without a healthy Ben and he’s a huge question mark, you’re not competing next year."

For my part, I forgot that Hargrave was among the soon-to-be FAs who is likely to get a big contract. The team's possible comp situation (if a lot of players walk) is better than I was thinking.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Competing for a SB....is what I meant. Good catch though. I was looking back at my post to win the north and my response to your post racking my brain, couldn’t find it and realized I said it t roonatic. I should of been more specific. If you follow my posts I’m all or nothing type fan and I make no apologies for it...lol.

Edit: So curious as to how you feel about the comp pick scenario now?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020