1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vrabel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 2, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah right

That might work

That might happen

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With due respect, if true, this has to be one of the most asinine detriments for being a Head Coach I have ever heard.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    All for hiring Vrabel but it would only work if he came in as HC .Tomlin either retires or eases into retiring by decreasing his load ,make him def. Coach ,Would help Tomlin save face and really help the team.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I love Vrabel. I remember back when him playing for the Steelers then going on to be a great LB for the Patriots. Then he became a good coach.

For the reason you state, though I think have to agree.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin is 51. I can't see him retiring at all, but he certainly isn't going to ease into it by accepting a demotion.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Lost opportunity, IMO. The players talked about how helpful it was having Flores here, I think Vrabel would have provided the same benefits.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought I pitched this in the old thread.:shrug:

8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Good decision by the Clowns for a change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I would of loved to have Vrabel as our DC over Austin. However I think Tomlin likes to stick his nose into the defense and keep a yes man under him. after all he is the head coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Serious inquiry, I see the bolden text repeated a lot on the board. Do you have any evidence of it or is it just made up?

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s a bs way to bash Tomlin

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Just that Tomlin runs the defense with Austin and always his spin on the defense. I liked it better when we had LeBeau and Tomlin had little say in the defense. I think Vrabel has a strong personality that could conflict with Tomlin. Just my thoughts not bashing anyone. From a defensive point I also would to see more blitzes coming from different angles and positions instead of relying on Watt and Highsmith only getting to the QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Not bs, just my opinion

14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I hear ya but we have not had the personnel like we did during Labeau's era. And an offensive minded HC, like a defensive minded HC will always have a hand in their speciality. This happens at both the college and pro level.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What's funny is that Tomlin had his best years while just being the Head Coach. Then LeBeau left and he took over the defense. He was only a defensive coordinator one season in Minnesota. Hiring a real defensive coordinator and having Tomlin scaled back I believe would be a positive. Vrabel would have been a solid candidate but he will get another head coaching gig i'm sure in 2025. Your right about the conflict i'm sure. Just do what your told puppet and things will work out just fine says Tomlin. Then get shelled in the playoffs again. Blame the offense all you want but the defense under Tomlin has been less then stellar in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A defensive minded HC is involved with the defense.

[​IMG]

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And that's what I said above, Tomlin is the HC and can do what he wants. But not necessary is that better.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

My thoughts are that blitzing from anywhere is more defensive game planning and not necessary better personnel. Agree that a defensive minded HC will always have a hand in defense. But that's not always a good thing. Look at teams like Ravens, and Chiefs you never now where their blitzers are coming from.