1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vontaze Burfict

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by ivanarevalo07, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ivanarevalo07

ivanarevalo07 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just ran a 5.09 in the 40 :/ I know some people around here wanted him. Compare that to Poe's 4.98. Poe looks like he's solid first round pick and with that slow time do you think we'd be able to get Burfict in the second round? 2 needs and 2 solid players.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I think a better question is do we want him in the second round? Obviously this guy has some issues if he shows up to the combine that unprepared. Combine that with blaming his coaches for not having a good year and all of the issues he has as of the last day of the season, and I'm not sure that we waste a second rounder on him. Maybe a fourth. or a sixth. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an athlete who is less prepared to be a pro than Burflict.

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    No to Burfict....PERIOD!

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    HEAD CASE!

Stay away...stay far away.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Burfict is perfect...for the Raiders.

6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    While I am no longer interested in him early....I would take him later and be happy with it.

If James Harrison had the exact same career with another team....no one would want him here...head case, cut from multiple teams...thats a sign...constant roughing penalties....he just don't get it.

HACK

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Time to start my "Burfict in the 5th" campaign. But I think he'll go in the top 3 rounds.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I am starting to doubt that Burfict will even get drafted. If he does, it will be as a 6th or 7th round "flyer" pick.

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    It will be interesting to see how far he falls. I too am curious to see if he goes drafted. A terrible combine performance with bad-attitude interviews (blaming everyone but himself for his lame collegiate performance) doesn't add up to a coveted draft pick.

10. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    He'll get drafted. The risk/reward philosophy comes into play. When the risk gets small enough (say a 5th rounder) someone will pull the trigger. The potential reward is too high. Unless he manages to get himself arrested between now and then. Hell, by the fifth round if he manages to get on the field just for kick offs he's worth it. What did the running back from Ohio State go for a few years back? he had more red flags than the USSR. (that's Russia for you young'uns)

11. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i've gone on record (well before the combine and well before mike mayock's analysis) by saying how bad a pick this guy would be for ANY team. in addition to his horrible attitude, he just isn't very good as a football player. quite simply, he doesn't make plays.

at the combine, he ran 4.93 and 5.10 in the 40-yrd dash (worst among lb'ers from what i understand), had the second-worst vertical leap (30"), and had the worst broad jump.

at least he's lazy and has a horrible attitude . . .

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    While I agree with everything that's been said... I'd still take Burfict in the 5th or later if he's there. The dude was a monster early on in his career, and while he shouldn't have said it I think he may be somewhat right about the coaches messing him up.

I think our coaching staff may be able to work with him on his technique, and he'll be in a strong locker room that will help him from popping off, and he's worth the risk that late.

13. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    early in his career? when was that? in high school? yeah, he was a 'monster' at centennial high in in corona,cali. freshman year at asu he was very good with tremendous upside but i hesitate, in a big way, to refer to him as a 'monster' (not on the field anyways). he was only good as a sophomore and not very good at all as a junior.

the coaches messed him up? how? are you just blindly repeating what vontaze said in an interview? i'm curious -- HOW did the coaches mess him up? why do you agree with that?

14. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Whoa dude switch to decaf. No need to attack me personally by saying I'm "blindly repeating" anyone...

In his freshman season he made the College Football News and College Football Writers Association of America Freshman All American team, and was named the Pac-10 Defensive freshman of the year. In his Sophmore year he was named the Pac-10 Defensive MVP by The Sporting News, and an ALL AMERICAN by the same publisher.

Going into his Junior year Burfict was thought to be a top 10 pick in this draft, BUT it was well known that he needed to learn some control and the coaches at ASU tried to reign him in to stop the personal foul penalties... Which is commendable, and I'm not saying it was wrong but trying to change Burfict's game could have effected him in a negative way.

That's my opinion. If you don't like it you can kiss my you know what, no need to flip out. :good:

15. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    i flipped out? that's the problem with the written word. no tonality, inflexion, non-verbal communication, etc . . . i merely asked you a handful of questions.

i never "attacked you personally" and i never said you were "blindly repeating" the general consensus. i ASKED YOU if you were blindly repeating a common blanket statement or if you had formed that opinion on your own. and, if you had formed your own opinion, i was curious to know what the reasons were. that's all. i'm curious about vontaze because i've watched every snap he's ever played in college and i'm interested in the opinions of others (even though they've probably never seen him play and are just repeating what they have read or heard).

the fact is, MOST of the people making opinions on vontaze have either a.) never seen him play, b.) seen a handful of games, or c.) merely seen clips and read scouting reports on him.

you went out and said you still wanted to draft him. you thought he was a "monster" earlier in his 'career.' that interested me and that's why i'm curious and ASKED YOU why you felt that way (i don't even drink coffee). because you saw him plugging gaps, making splash plays, and leading the defense (because he did none of these things), or because you read he was named to some all-american teams? just curious. because, after watching this dude play for three years, i saw NOTHING out of the guy. nothing good anyways. he was a head case. he was constantly jawing at the opponents, making late hits (that he was flagged for), disrupting the continuity of his teammates . . . and, all the while, not really making any plays. vontaze burfict remains the biggest enigma in my alma mater's history. i don't get the hype, AT ALL. nfl scouts are now becoming extremely aware of this.

16. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    On walterfootball, Burflict has fallen from #24 on the big board from before the combine to #143 post-combine. Puts him firmly in the middle of the 5th round. Lucifer didn't fall that fast.

17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd take Vontaze in the 4th or 5th on potential alone.....Even if they draft Hightower in the first.

HACK

18. TheWanderer

Oct 20, 2011
    from the Arizona Republic's web site (azcentral.com):

BURFICT DID LITTLE TO HELP DRAFT STOCK

Vontaze Burfict has gone from "can't miss" to "just a myth." (which is the best statement i've ever read that perfectly summarizes this kid's tenure at arizona state but, i digress, i'll let you get back to the article . . . )

Heck, when his media interview and workout at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis are taken in total, it isn't surprising that the former Arizona State linebacker once took a swing at a teammate. (no surprise here)

What's surprising is that he actually made contact and didn't whiff on that like he did on many tackles last season. (ha)

We already knew that Burfict was undisciplined, over-hyped and perhaps a bit unhinged. ("WE" merely means 'asu fans' -- the casual fan who throws out mocks based on the evaluations of others is completely unaware of this)

He did nothing to dispel those notions during an interview with our NFL guy Kent Somers and other reporters at the NFL draft combine, saying the former ASU coaching staff "kind of messed me up." (in his defense, the defensive coordinator used him as a sort of 'spy' which, in essence, rendered him useless. nevertheless, when he was in position to make a play, he never made it)

Right. That must have gone over well with the scouts and coaches in attendance. (not the type of 'character' this organization looks for)

Then Burfict confirmed something else many suspected: He isn't as talented as portrayed. (see: understatement)

See, the old book on Burfict was that he is a dominating player who simply needs to get his head screwed on straight.

Now we know that his temper isn't the only thing he's lost.

Burfict was touted by some as a potential first-round draft pick before the combine, which seemed absurd to anybody who watched him play last season. (see: very few people actually saw the guy play. they scan lists thrown out there by kiper, mcshay, et al. those who watched the kid will be quick to diffuse any praise lobbed in his direction)

Never mind all the personal fouls and off-field issues and ducking the press or that he can't get into coverage. (actually, as a fan, i EVER mind all of that)

The guy never made 10 tackles in a game last season. Not once! (because he is a horrible tackler)

Contemplate that for a moment. An inside linebacker touted as a potential national Defensive Player of the Year who cannot get to double digits in tackles in a single game. And he totaled five sacks with three coming in the first game against UC-Davis. (he's not a playmaker)

That is not a first-round draft pick. Heck, that might not be a draft pick at all. (an absolute free-fall on par with going from preseason all-american to honorable mention in the conference)

And now we know why. Burfict reportedly trimmed down by 12 pounds to 248 for the combine, yet still ran a 5.09 40-yard dash. (see: slow)

Thank goodness he dropped those pounds or he might still be running. (ha)

Rob Rang, a draft analyst for CBSSports.com points out that Burfict was slower in the 40 than 36 of 48 defensive linemen at the combine. He was even smoked by the heaviest guy there, 346-pound nose guard Dontari Poe of Memphis. (that's unbelievable - HOW can we get poe?!)

At one point this week, "things faster than Vontaze Burfict" ranked among the top trending topics on Twitter. People were mocking him by posting YouTube video of themselves running faster in their office parking lot. (see: he's become a joke)

Oh, and Burfict also had the worst broad jump among linebackers and tied for next-to-last at his position in the vertical jump. (no athleticism. i called him slow, fat, and lazy two months ago. glad he validated my evaluation through his performance at the combine)

He didn't even bother with the bench-press test or shuttle runs. So, let's see: No speed. No explosiveness. No competitive spirit. (yep, that's burfict)

Yep, you want to invest millions of dollars in this guy. (not the steelers, hopefully)

OK, maybe we should cut him a little slack. He had to be exhausted after answering all the questions he never had to face at ASU. (which was the result of a coaching staff effectively 'hiding' him from the media as not to make a fool out of himself -- that same coaching staff that "screwed him up.")

burfict sucks.

pass.

i wouldn't even bring him in as an UDFA.

19. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Um, I trust the wanderer on his assessment of Burfict...I hope we get Osweiler in the late rounds

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was big on this kid a while ago and really wanted him. Then I read a lot of negatives on him from TheWanderer. I was skeptical and thought he might be biased, but I did some research and found some tape on Burfict, and lets just say I'm no longer high on this kid at all. I think he has bust written all over him. I just don't know where all the hype is coming from. Yeah, when he hits he tends to blow guys up, but he really does miss a ton of tackles. He's also not a playmaker whatsoever.

I would take a flyer on him in the 4th or 5th round, but that's about it.

21. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With SO many mixed reviews from everyone, I was eventually against getting him in the first. But I still might have taken him in the 2nd and definitely the 3rd if we didn't already get Hightower... up until the combine. Whether he is crazy slow or crazy unprepared, you can't ignore a 4.9 40 time from someone that is supposed to be fast. Now I don't think I'd bite until the 5th. But I think he'll be gone by the 4th. Someone will roll the dice. Maybe Baltimore in the 3rd?

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011