1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackson to the Steelers. Realistic?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What was I wrong about? That DL was technically an out of house hire?

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You may have been thinking Eagles but Vincent is the same kind of guy. Randy Moss in a different uni. Maybe the story didn't make it out of San Diego but, amongst other things, He got busted for driving on a suspended license the morning of the Chokers-Jets playoff game a few years ago and had to call teammates for a ride. The reason his license was suspended? You guessed it............DUI. There was more to the story but that was the gist of it.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If they were talking about Haley being the logical or illogical choice, no one is right and no one is wrong. If they were talking about Haley being the predictable choice, you could again make an argument for either side.

Haley was the predictable hire:

He was a famous, productive OC before becoming a head coach. He is now available and has a Pittsburgh connection. He ran a good passing offense as OC in Arizona and a good running game as HC in KC. It can be said that he is balanced, or is good at using his team's strengths. He will definitely solve any problem with the OC and QB being too friendly. Whether that leads to other problems is TBD...

Haley was the unpredictable hire:

The Steelers clearly prefer to promote from within whenever possible for OCs, and the few times they haven't (since I've been alive) have been failures. He had a crappy running game as OC in Arizona and a crappy passing game as HC in KC. It can be said that he can't run a balanced offense on the same team. Haley is considered to be a fiery personality who can at least appear to have problems getting along with players, and the Steelers don't like troublemakers.

Doesn't sound like an open and shut case to me. LeBeau being an outside hire? Gimme a break. Knox, maybe you should man up and admit you were wrong? :lolol:

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly what I was thinking. I was just waiting for Knox to clarify what I was "wrong" about. I sure hope it wasn't the DL thing, that's pretty weak. DL basically went on hiatus from us while he checked out how he liked the head coaching gig, he didn't and came back to us. Out of house hire? Yeah, technically, if you really believe that, pretty lame. And the other stuff is just opinions, kind of tough to be "wrong" about it.

The most ironic part about Knox telling me to "man up" is that's exactly what I was doing with Jackattack and the whole basis of my conversation with Steelerglenn. Jack called the Haley hire way before he was even mentioned as a candidate. I proceeded to blast Jacks prediction and of course, I was wrong. That is something actually worthy of manning up about, not some weak pathetic technicality or opinion.

You look good with egg on your face though Knox :thumbsup:

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Calm down Heckle & Jeckle, I was just referring to TE's quote: "Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years"

You came back and qualified it AFTER you got called on it. That's all I'm saying. When I read your comment, I was thinking what about Tomlin. Then you qualified that you were only talking about coordinators, not HC's. Then DL comes to mind, who was not employed by the Steelers when they hired him as DC second time around. Spin it however you want to. No egg on my face bro. Peace out.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:2vvza0zj]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:2vvza0zj]

See, Tomlin. I do employ logic at times. In an illogical kind of way. ;-)

In all seriousness, Glenn, the title of my post several weeks before Haley was hired was "Todd Haley is the LOGICAL CHOICE". I can tell you that my estimation would be that originally it was 5 to 1 against hiring Todd Haley. Many, including my friend Tomlin, have warmed up to the idea over the last few weeks and I think if we do think about it in a rational way, he is a good choice. As for your Fichtner question I'd say the answer is yes. There were many on this board pimping him for the OC job. I think that would have been a terrible mistake. He would have been BA light IMHO. Really even the PPG and the PTR felt that it would be somebody currently on the Steelers coaching staff and not an outside candidate and they kept characterizing the Haley interview as a "courtesy" interview. Anyway, not to toot my own horn but TOOT! TOOT! :dancing: I may have some wacky posts but that's one I got right. Stay tuned. More predictions on the way. :hmmm:[/quote:2vvza0zj]

you were right after kirby was taken out of the equation. just a question jack. have you ever been convicted of arson? :roll: :hmmm: :cool:

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:1ob5a5au]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:1ob5a5au]

In all seriousness, Glenn, the title of my post several weeks before Haley was hired was "Todd Haley is the LOGICAL CHOICE". I can tell you that my estimation would be that originally it was 5 to 1 against hiring Todd Haley. Many, including my friend Tomlin, have warmed up to the idea over the last few weeks and I think if we do think about it in a rational way, he is a good choice. As for your Fichtner question I'd say the answer is yes. There were many on this board pimping him for the OC job. I think that would have been a terrible mistake. He would have been BA light IMHO. Really even the PPG and the PTR felt that it would be somebody currently on the Steelers coaching staff and not an outside candidate and they kept characterizing the Haley interview as a "courtesy" interview. Anyway, not to toot my own horn but TOOT! TOOT! :dancing: I may have some wacky posts but that's one I got right. Stay tuned. More predictions on the way. :hmmm:[/quote:1ob5a5au]

you where right after kirby was taken out of the equation. just a question jack. have you ever been convicted of arson? :roll: :hmmm: :cool:[/quote:1ob5a5au]

I still have a hard time understanding what qualified Kirby to be the Steelers OC. I wish him well and hope he can return as the Steelers RBs coach, but I for one would have been extremely disappointed had he been named the OC. To me that would have been a very ILLOGICAL choice. Fichtner would have made more sense.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:2p51buuy]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:2p51buuy]

In all seriousness, Glenn, the title of my post several weeks before Haley was hired was "Todd Haley is the LOGICAL CHOICE". I can tell you that my estimation would be that originally it was 5 to 1 against hiring Todd Haley. Many, including my friend Tomlin, have warmed up to the idea over the last few weeks and I think if we do think about it in a rational way, he is a good choice. As for your Fichtner question I'd say the answer is yes. There were many on this board pimping him for the OC job. I think that would have been a terrible mistake. He would have been BA light IMHO. Really even the PPG and the PTR felt that it would be somebody currently on the Steelers coaching staff and not an outside candidate and they kept characterizing the Haley interview as a "courtesy" interview. Anyway, not to toot my own horn but TOOT! TOOT! :dancing: I may have some wacky posts but that's one I got right. Stay tuned. More predictions on the way. :hmmm:[/quote:2p51buuy]

you were right after kirby was taken out of the equation. just a question jack. have you ever been convicted of arson? :roll: :hmmm: :cool:[/quote:2p51buuy]

I still have a hard time understanding what qualified Kirby to be the Steelers OC. I wish him well and hope he can return as the Steelers RBs coach, but I for one would have been extremely disappointed had he been named the OC. To me that would have been a very ILLOGICAL choice. Fichtner would have made more sense.[/quote:2p51buuy]

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:3u09va5z]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:3u09va5z]

In all seriousness, Glenn, the title of my post several weeks before Haley was hired was "Todd Haley is the LOGICAL CHOICE". I can tell you that my estimation would be that originally it was 5 to 1 against hiring Todd Haley. Many, including my friend Tomlin, have warmed up to the idea over the last few weeks and I think if we do think about it in a rational way, he is a good choice. As for your Fichtner question I'd say the answer is yes. There were many on this board pimping him for the OC job. I think that would have been a terrible mistake. He would have been BA light IMHO. Really even the PPG and the PTR felt that it would be somebody currently on the Steelers coaching staff and not an outside candidate and they kept characterizing the Haley interview as a "courtesy" interview. Anyway, not to toot my own horn but TOOT! TOOT! :dancing: I may have some wacky posts but that's one I got right. Stay tuned. More predictions on the way. :hmmm:[/quote:3u09va5z]

you were right after kirby was taken out of the equation. just a question jack. have you ever been convicted of arson? :roll: :hmmm: :cool:[/quote:3u09va5z]

I still have a hard time understanding what qualified Kirby to be the Steelers OC. I wish him well and hope he can return as the Steelers RBs coach, but I for one would have been extremely disappointed had he been named the OC. To me that would have been a very ILLOGICAL choice. Fichtner would have made more sense.[/quote:3u09va5z][/quote:3u09va5z]
    i agree. just messin with ya. :-D :cool:

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because it's just such a ticky tacky thing to be called on. I mean really, we're going to consider DL an out of house hire? It's idiotic and was only pointed out in the discussion by steelerglenn in an effort to "win a point". That's the problem with message boards, so many of you are in it to "win" the discussion instead of having an open mind and perhaps maybe coming away with a different view then when you entered the discussion. Pointing out that DL is technically an out of hose hire ignores the whole point I was making, which is that with the exception of Ron Erhardt, every OC brought in from the outside failed miserably. Which come to think of it, why was DL even mentioned, he's a DC. I thought it was clear we were talking about an OC, not a DC or HC.

11. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Why?

Jackson and Wallace had similar seasons statistically... Jackson: 60 catches, 1106 yards, 8 TDs | Wallace: 72 catches 1193 yards 8 TDs

And Wallace is 25 and just entering his prime, where Jackson is 29 and probably has 2 more productive seasons at best.

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Wallace is soft, won't fight for the ball and dropped a whopping 4 passes this year. He is disgusting in every way. :roll:

13. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Now if we can only get Pouncey's brother...

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

You had me there for a minute, Snack. I think Vincent Jackson is a better all-around receiver, has better size, better hands, WILL ABSOLUTELY fight to the death for the ball which is something none of us have seen Wallace do yet. In fact, IMHO the only thing Wallace has on Jackson is his pure speed. Watch Jackson catch the ball. He goes up and grabs it at its highest point. Wallace waits for the ball to drop into his hands. You can also tell a natural receiver by the way the ball melts into his hands. With Wallace it seems to take great effort for him to catch the ball. He almost seems to double catch it a lot of times.

Here's another prediction for you and it will be a while before we'll be able to prove it, at least the end of this season. MIKE WALLACE HAS SEEN HIS MOST PRODUCTIVE TWO YEARS AS AN NFL WIDE RECEIVER. As a famous Steelers QB once said, "write it down". I think defenses have him figured out and as long as they don't let Wallace get behind them they can take him out of the gameplan pretty easily. The second half of the season showed that and don't give me that garbage that he was double teamed every game and that gave Brown opportunities. Well, you know what, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss were double and triple teamed every game too but they still managed to come up BIG when it counted. Wallace says he wants to be great but to be great you've got to contribute to your team's success going down the stretch and in the playoffs and the fact of the matter is that he disappeared when it counted most!

15. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

You had me there for a minute, Snack. I think Vincent Jackson is a better all-around receiver, has better size, better hands, WILL ABSOLUTELY fight to the death for the ball which is something none of us have seen Wallace do yet. In fact, IMHO the only thing Wallace has on Jackson is his pure speed. Watch Jackson catch the ball. He goes up and grabs it at its highest point. Wallace waits for the ball to drop into his hands. You can also tell a natural receiver by the way the ball melts into his hands. With Wallace it seems to take great effort for him to catch the ball. He almost seems to double catch it a lot of times.

Here's another prediction for you and it will be a while before we'll be able to prove it, at least the end of this season. MIKE WALLACE HAS SEEN HIS MOST PRODUCTIVE TWO YEARS AS AN NFL WIDE RECEIVER. As a famous Steelers QB once said, "write it down". I think defenses have him figured out and as long as they don't let Wallace get behind them they can take him out of the gameplan pretty easily. The second half of the season showed that and don't give me that garbage that he was double teamed every game and that gave Brown opportunities. Well, you know what, Jerry Rice and Randy Moss were double and triple teamed every game too but they still managed to come up BIG when it counted. Wallace says he wants to be great but to be great you've got to contribute to your team's success going down the stretch and in the playoffs and the fact of the matter is that he disappeared when it counted most![/quote:1djc26vq]
    Okay, I give! He's not as good as Jerry Rice! And I'm starting to think he never will be...

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Okay, I give! He's not as good as Jerry Rice! And I'm starting to think he never will be...[/quote:1htyd0kl]

Nor will anyone else. My point is that Wallace keeps talking about wanting to be great and more than a one trick pony and at this point I have some serious concerns that he will ever get past just being a really fast guy who caught the league by surprise a little bit. You can't argue, Snack, that his second half of the season was just below mediocre and he has truly disappeared in every post-season game he's been involved in.

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He averaged 34 yards a game down the stretch i believe or maybe career in the playoffs either way he seems to fade away towards the end

18. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    People complaining about Wallace disappearing down the stretch but want V.Jackson are insane. The dude regularly has 1 catch games for the Chargers as their supposed #1 guy.

19. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Here's another prediction for you and it will be a while before we'll be able to prove it, at least the end of this season. MIKE WALLACE HAS SEEN HIS MOST PRODUCTIVE TWO YEARS AS AN NFL WIDE RECEIVER. As a famous Steelers QB once said, "write it down". [/quote:2fs510fs]

Who cares? Wallace just had a huge season which people seem to be overlooking... And I think it's hilarious people think it was a coincidence that Brown starts to come on as Wallace starts to fade.

If Wallace gives us 1000 yards and 6-8 touchdowns a year he's worth big money... Even if he doesn't match his total from this season.

People bashing him because they've "figured him out" are insane. THE GUY HAS 3 SEASON UNDER HIS BELT!!!! The fact that he's played SO well SO fast is amazing, he will improve as an all around receiver.

y'all are so spoiled with talent.

20. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Who cares? Wallace just had a huge season which people seem to be overlooking... And I think it's hilarious people think it was a coincidence that Brown starts to come on as Wallace starts to fade.

If Wallace gives us 1000 yards and 6-8 touchdowns a year he's worth big money... Even if he doesn't match his total from this season.

People bashing him because they've "figured him out" are insane. THE GUY HAS 3 SEASON UNDER HIS BELT!!!! The fact that he's played SO well SO fast is amazing, he will improve as an all around receiver.

y'all are so spoiled with talent.[/quote:2sc50gut]
    this x1000 plus on top of that Most Steelers fans on here have a strange obssesion with BIG players we NEED a BIG Back we need a BIG WR ect SMDH

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Because it's just such a ticky tacky thing to be called on. I mean really, we're going to consider DL an out of house hire? It's idiotic and was only pointed out in the discussion by steelerglenn in an effort to "win a point". That's the problem with message boards, so many of you are in it to "win" the discussion instead of having an open mind and perhaps maybe coming away with a different view then when you entered the discussion. Pointing out that DL is technically an out of hose hire ignores the whole point I was making, which is that with the exception of Ron Erhardt, every OC brought in from the outside failed miserably. Which come to think of it, why was DL even mentioned, he's a DC. I thought it was clear we were talking about an OC, not a DC or HC.[/quote:13o55cs5]
    T.E. For the record I am not trying to win a point or prove you wrong. I am just trying to have a healthy discussion on the matter. If you go back and look at your posts you never mentioned O.C. specifically and it was those posts that I was responding to. You have since clarified your point and I think I get the point you were trying to make. My only problem is I think you should avoid name calling as at the end of the day we're all on the same side.

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    this x1000 plus on top of that Most Steelers fans on here have a strange obssesion with BIG players we NEED a BIG Back we need a BIG WR ect SMDH[/quote:1frs2l44]

I'd just like to see Wallace show a little more fight when the ball is in the air. I'd like to see him go up and grab it at its highest point, wrestling it away from the DB. I'd like to see the alligator arms go away when he's coming across the middle. I'd like to see him make an assertive adjustment on an underthrown ball, I'd like to see him come up BIG in a BIG game one time. I have hopes that he can be an above average receiver in this league, but I don't think the Steelers ought to overreact and bust their cap number yet again by overpaying him the big bucks.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    T.E. For the record I am not trying to win a point or prove you wrong. I am just trying to have a healthy discussion on the matter. If you go back and look at your posts you never mentioned O.C. specifically and it was those posts that I was responding to. You have since clarified your point and I think I get the point you were trying to make. My only problem is I think you should avoid name calling as at the end of the day we're all on the same side.[/quote:l6cvcsaw]

You know what steelerglenn, 100% right, I apologize. My first thought was "when did I call him a name" then re-read what I wrote and saw it. I really wasn't inferring that you are an "idiot", I just meant that to consider DL an out of house hire to be idiotic. Which, if you examine that a step further I guess that means I was calling you that. Really wasn't my intention, poorly worded by me and was just speaking more in general terms. I also should have been more clear about the OC being the out of house hire, I just I took it for granted that everyone had seen where that was already talked about when the Steelers were first interviewing candidates, it was mentioned in numerous threads about their poor success with hiring from outside the organization for an OC.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    T.E. For the record I am not trying to win a point or prove you wrong. I am just trying to have a healthy discussion on the matter. If you go back and look at your posts you never mentioned O.C. specifically and it was those posts that I was responding to. You have since clarified your point and I think I get the point you were trying to make. My only problem is I think you should avoid name calling as at the end of the day we're all on the same side.[/quote:37ehjw1t]

You know what steelerglenn, 100% right, I apologize. My first thought was "when did I call him a name" then re-read what I wrote and saw it. I really wasn't inferring that you are an "idiot", I just meant that to consider DL an out of house hire to be idiotic. Which, if you examine that a step further I guess that means I was calling you that. Really wasn't my intention, poorly worded by me and was just speaking more in general terms. I also should have been more clear about the OC being the out of house hire, I just I took it for granted that everyone had seen where that was already talked about when the Steelers were first interviewing candidates, it was mentioned in numerous threads about their poor success with hiring from outside the organization for an OC.[/quote:37ehjw1t]
    I appreciate your response and look forward to talking with you here in the future.

25. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    T.E. For the record I am not trying to win a point or prove you wrong. I am just trying to have a healthy discussion on the matter. If you go back and look at your posts you never mentioned O.C. specifically and it was those posts that I was responding to. You have since clarified your point and I think I get the point you were trying to make. My only problem is I think you should avoid name calling as at the end of the day we're all on the same side.[/quote:3htsq2ej]

You know what steelerglenn, 100% right, I apologize. My first thought was "when did I call him a name" then re-read what I wrote and saw it. I really wasn't inferring that you are an "idiot", I just meant that to consider DL an out of house hire to be idiotic. Which, if you examine that a step further I guess that means I was calling you that. Really wasn't my intention, poorly worded by me and was just speaking more in general terms. I also should have been more clear about the OC being the out of house hire, I just I took it for granted that everyone had seen where that was already talked about when the Steelers were first interviewing candidates, it was mentioned in numerous threads about their poor success with hiring from outside the organization for an OC.[/quote:3htsq2ej]
    I appreciate your response and look forward to talking with you here in the future.[/quote:3htsq2ej]
    :good: :good: :good:

Where's the hugging smiley??? You guys need to come over and work your kumbaya Cajun and me in the draft room.