1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Jackson to the Steelers. Realistic?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Feb 25, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know, I know. More endless speculation. But since we find ourselves in another seemingly endless off-season, why shouldn't we speculate on what the Steelers should do, could do, but probably in all likelihood, won't do?

Here's a thought for your pondering. What if the Steelers tender Wallace and allow him to sign with another team by refusing to match the offer and then make a play for Vincent Jackson with the money they were considering paying to Mike Wallace. By all accounts, the Chargers are saying that they are not going to franchise Jackson which could make him vulnerable.

Don't know about you, but I would give up Mike Wallace for Vincent Jackson in a New York minute AND come out with an additional first round pick to boot! Any other takers? Is this scenario even realistic? I love Jackson's size and the way he goes up and fights for the ball. He most definitely is not a one-trick pony like Wallace.

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Realistic? No. Would I do it based on how you put it...get a 1st for Wallace and sign Jackson to a (reasonable) deal? Yes...why not...not loosing much and gaining an extra 1st rounder.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd take him he is a playmaker

4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Unrealistic. Very...

He's a great player no doubt, but doesn't he come with baggage in the head case variety?

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why not use the money you save to help a position that needs help, or secure Brown and Sanders?

6. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree. I'd rather use the savings and/or the extra pic to fortify our OL. Talented wr's seem to fall in our lap (6th round!); not so lucky with offensive linemen.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This place is nuts latley.

8. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011

LOL! Hey, if you're looking for well-reasoned logic and thoughtful rationale, you've come to the wrong place, buddy!

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

LOL! Hey, if you're looking for well-reasoned logic and thoughtful rationale, you've come to the wrong place, buddy![/quote:39wbgezk]
    Maybe I read too much into some of these posts, but if you pooled just the first two pages of Steelers talk together you have to admit there is some pretty wacky stuff there Bro. Lol

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe I read too much into some of these posts, but if you pooled just the first two pages of Steelers talk together you have to admit there is some pretty wacky stuff there Bro. Lol[/quote:14mfr5gs]

Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:

11. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe I read too much into some of these posts, but if you pooled just the first two pages of Steelers talk together you have to admit there is some pretty wacky stuff there Bro. Lol[/quote:1glen4ux]

Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:1glen4ux]

Even a blind squirrel... :D

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Stop talking rationally. Its killing the mood.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe I read too much into some of these posts, but if you pooled just the first two pages of Steelers talk together you have to admit there is some pretty wacky stuff there Bro. Lol[/quote:2qsj2gp3]

Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:2qsj2gp3]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:k9vwoeca]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:k9vwoeca]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:1wrzqn8y]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:1wrzqn8y]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.[/quote:1wrzqn8y]
    Where did Tomlin come from?

16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Jack does post some wacky stuff :lolol: but he nailed the Haley hire, have to give him credit for that :hello:[/quote:1w5avvr5]
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:1w5avvr5]

See, Tomlin. I do employ logic at times. In an illogical kind of way. ;-)

In all seriousness, Glenn, the title of my post several weeks before Haley was hired was "Todd Haley is the LOGICAL CHOICE". I can tell you that my estimation would be that originally it was 5 to 1 against hiring Todd Haley. Many, including my friend Tomlin, have warmed up to the idea over the last few weeks and I think if we do think about it in a rational way, he is a good choice. As for your Fichtner question I'd say the answer is yes. There were many on this board pimping him for the OC job. I think that would have been a terrible mistake. He would have been BA light IMHO. Really even the PPG and the PTR felt that it would be somebody currently on the Steelers coaching staff and not an outside candidate and they kept characterizing the Haley interview as a "courtesy" interview. Anyway, not to toot my own horn but TOOT! TOOT! :dancing: I may have some wacky posts but that's one I got right. Stay tuned. More predictions on the way. :hmmm:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:2br5hlec]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.[/quote:2br5hlec]
    Where did Tomlin come from?[/quote:2br5hlec]

His momma but thats not important. We are talking about coordinators hired, not HC's.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:15r5fsdp]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.[/quote:15r5fsdp]
    Where did Tomlin come from?[/quote:15r5fsdp]

His momma but thats not important. We are talking about coordinators hired, not HC's.[/quote:15r5fsdp]
    Ok then how about Dick Lebeau he came back in 2004 from the Bengals. They didn't hire from within on that one and that was 8 years ago. Maybe intead of saying Haley was the logical choice I should of said Smart choice out of the names that were being tossed around.

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:1k2koh9z]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.[/quote:1k2koh9z]
    Where did Tomlin come from?[/quote:1k2koh9z]

His momma but thats not important. We are talking about coordinators hired, not HC's.[/quote:1k2koh9z]
    Ok then how about Dick Lebeau he came back in 2004 from the Bengals. They didn't hire from within on that one and that was 8 years ago. Maybe intead of saying Haley was the logical choice I should of said Smart choice out of the names that were being tossed around.[/quote:1k2koh9z]

Don't back down from your original statement, Glenn. Haley was the logical choice because we needed a a strong offensive mind, he is a Pittsburgh guy and goes way back with the Rooneys, his dad was a valuable part of building the Steelers dynasty, he bleeds black and gold and cut his teeth in Pittsburgh, he is a strong enough personality to assert control over the offense which is something sorely lacking with BA.. If ever there was a great coaching fit this is it!

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:xup2qzyy]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.[/quote:xup2qzyy]
    Where did Tomlin come from?[/quote:xup2qzyy]

His momma but thats not important. We are talking about coordinators hired, not HC's.[/quote:xup2qzyy]
    Ok then how about Dick Lebeau he came back in 2004 from the Bengals. They didn't hire from within on that one and that was 8 years ago. Maybe intead of saying Haley was the logical choice I should of said Smart choice out of the names that were being tossed around.[/quote:xup2qzyy]

DL wasn't some unknown quantity, face it, Steelers have only gone outside the organization like 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years and each one failed miserably. Except for maybe Ron Erhardt but for some reason he is never mentioned as an out of house hire. Anyway, I'd call Haley the risky hire, lots of potential to do great things here but can go up in smoke just as easy.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No offense to jack, but Haley was the logical choice out of the candidates talked about here. Did anybody really think Fitchner had a shot?[/quote:qghkf9jy]

Logical choice? Haley was a completely outside the box choice, Fichtner was the logical choice, Steelers haven't hired outside the organization in over 12 years. Out of all the outside candidates, Haley was the least logical. Heck, the next best offer for Haley was as a QB coach, sorry, but the guy was not in demand.[/quote:qghkf9jy]
    Where did Tomlin come from?[/quote:qghkf9jy]

His momma but thats not important. We are talking about coordinators hired, not HC's.[/quote:qghkf9jy]
    Ok then how about Dick Lebeau he came back in 2004 from the Bengals. They didn't hire from within on that one and that was 8 years ago. Maybe intead of saying Haley was the logical choice I should of said Smart choice out of the names that were being tossed around.[/quote:qghkf9jy]

DL wasn't some unknown quantity, face it, Steelers have only gone outside the organization like 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years and each one failed miserably. Except for maybe Ron Erhardt but for some reason he is never mentioned as an out of house hire. Anyway, I'd call Haley the risky hire, lots of potential to do great things here but can go up in smoke just as easy.[/quote:qghkf9jy]
    Granted DL had been with the organization previously it was still an outside hire period. Haley is not an unknown quantity. I admit I know nothing about Fichtner and he may have done fine, but for me personaly of the two I'm more confortable with Haley. And as long as we are on the subject Haley was with the Steelers previously as a ball boy left and came back so technicaly by your standards he is not an outside hire. LOL

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tomlin_era, you got called out for being wrong. Just man up and move forward. As far as the point of the thread, I would take Jackson in a straight up trade for Wallace. The 1st round pick would be a bonus. Not that I don't like Wallace and the deep threat he is. I just think Jackson has more upside and versatility. And now that we have a real OC, Jackson could be used very effectively in the O. Cotchery is another guy that should have had more balls thrown to him, especially in the RZ. Hopefully Haley will reign in Ben to make this offense productive on the scoreboard which means fewer posts and bombs which will take Wallace off the field more unless he learns to run crisp routes and catch slants and fight for ball and so forth. A guy like Jackson is a more credible well rounded threat all over the field than Wallace. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

23. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say no to Jackson no way no how. Here in central PA we have a very large Iggles crowd and half of them hate the guy and want him gone primarily because he's a ME guy versus a TEAM guy. We don't need "ME" guy. We had one in Holmes and got rid of him so there's no way the Steelers would consider this guy.

24. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    delete my previous post. Hell I had the wrong Jackson. Too much to drink last night :lolol:

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Since we are speculating, I will trade Mike Wallace and and will throw in other
    good steelers players for Larry Fitzgerald. He can come back home (School ,Pitt)
    where he already is a rock star, Can you imagine Ben and Larry for the next 5 years?
    He would make us forget about Mike Wallace in 60 seconds. Ha