1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vince Williams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Mar 23, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So let's say the Steelers use a first round pick on Rashaan Evan or Leighton Vander Esch, and they come into camp and tear it up. Who starts on the other side of the rook, Williams or Bostic?

I'm thinking Bostic. From the highlights I've seen he looks like he's better in coverage and moves better laterally than Vince.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Williams knows the system. Bostic may take a few preseason games to get things figured out.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think in that type of situation they may go with Bostic unless Vincent shows he has gotten remarkably smarter in the offseason. He still takes the first read on run support and gets gobbled up by the blocking. If Bostic is better than he will start.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Tough call. Williams did have 8 sacks last season. Do you just swipe that aside?

I know its not the OP's scenario but more than likely, Williams and Bostic will start and then Vander or whomever would have to overtake one of them.

Theres also the real possibility that neither ILB or safety is drafted early now.

I also think there is a chance the Steelers may be looking at Shazier playing again. All this will play into how they address the ILB position in the draft.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Will be a nice problem to have, just think not to long ago we were all scratching our heads wonding what we were gonna do at ILB. Now many have come around to the Bostic signing and if we add a rook to the mix the position of need becomes a position of depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think the rookie starts the season at ILB, he would have to really impress during the preseason.

7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Agreed. With the addition of Bostic, a rookie, and a healthy Matakevich it would be a good position depth-wise. I know many are down on him, but if Dirty Red hadn't been injured the same game Shazier was the cupboard wouldn't have seemed as bare at the end of last year. He's a quality backup.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am a big Dirty Red fan so you don't have to sell him to me. :thumbs_up:

9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think Williams did better as a run stuffing thumper and delay blitz LB when Shazier was healthy and doing more of the coverage. If Bostic can fill Shazier's role even partially then Williams play will improve. I thought Shaziers injury really hit Williams hard and maybe he was trying to do to much, He defiantly played better with Shazier then without him but so did the entire defense.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have always said Vince is a backup. I'm not sure Vince is a great lead man as far as calling the shots. He got sacks because we blitzed him. He wasn't good enough in coverage so what else would we do with him in those situations. He's a better sub than a starter. :cool:

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    These days it dont matter. They both will play with all the sub packages and situational football. I feel williams is better against the run.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t know Evan or Esch but it is probably too much for either of them. A rookie who excels could take playing time from Williams. Bostic is a strong candidate to take the play calling duties which Williams didn’t capture. That’s more than a rookie Can handle.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It will be an interesting position to watch this year. If red is healthy he is always around the ball and tackles well. I'm glad he had his surgery early and can get back. Year 3 for him should be a breakout year. We should be pretty solid at the position with a good draft pick added to this group. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2