1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vince Williams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Mar 10, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Duke Riley then?

If not... wait for 2018s Malik Jefferson out of Texas? Would not be wise to invest in the position next season given Bens clock is closing in at midnight fast.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    As I said.

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers will be doing themselves a disservice if they don't look to find a better player than Williams. I don't believe he is the long term answer. I seriously doubt that Williams will be an upgrade over what Timmons brought to the table last season.

The Steelers showed interest in resigning Timmons. I guess his price was more than they were willing to pay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No they didn't. They told him to go see what he could find. There was a rumor they made him an offer last year but he said no.

5. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    "The data supporting the only variable I mentioned, doesn't support my position"

As you said...

6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Telling someone to go out and test the market is the opposite of showing interest in resigning them

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, the Steelers are continuing to talk with agent Drew Rosenhaus this week at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis about possibly re-signing linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

This news shouldn’t come as a huge surprise as general manager Kevin Colbert recently admitted that the organization would like to re-sign Timmons if at all possible. With that said, the team might let Timmons explore his free agency options starting on March 9, the start of the 2017 league year.

“Would you love to have him stay? Absolutely,” Colbert said of Timmons last week, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Does it all fit? I think we can make it fit. At what cost? He has to see what his market is. He’s never been a free agent, and we have nothing against him finding out. Let’s stay in touch as we go through the process. We’d love to see Lawrence finish his career here, and I think he would, too.”

Based on those comments what do you think? Looks to me they wanted him back at a certain price. Timmons found more money than they were willing to offer. It was a business decision on both parties parts. The Steelers will be thin at ILB. Especially considering that Shahzier has a hard time staying healthy.

8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, the Steelers are continuing to talk with agent Drew Rosenhaus this week at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis about possibly re-signing linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

This news shouldn’t come as a huge surprise as general manager Kevin Colbert recently admitted that the organization would like to re-sign Timmons if at all possible. With that said, the team might let Timmons explore his free agency options starting on March 9, the start of the 2017 league year.

“Would you love to have him stay? Absolutely,” Colbert said of Timmons last week, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Does it all fit? I think we can make it fit. At what cost? He has to see what his market is. He’s never been a free agent, and we have nothing against him finding out. Let’s stay in touch as we go through the process. We’d love to see Lawrence finish his career here, and I think he would, too.”

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    oh you mean that contract that pays him less than Landry Jones. 1.8 million a year. Wow, the front office really extended themselves on that one....

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Nowhere in there does it say they made him an offer.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You dont know they didnt either. They probably did and it was less than Timmons was willing to take compared to what Miami gave him. Pittsburgh was never going to give him 11 million guaranteed. Dumb contract and Steelers were right not to do that.

According to every beat writer, they were interested for the right price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the Steelers did and LT thought it was a lowball offer. So the Steelers said OK, here's the number we like you as a re-sign, if you think you are worth more, go chase it. The Steelers were interested, but it wasn't at a figure they could agree on. If you think the Steelers had no interest in re-signing him and just said "Thanks for the time" you are doing a dis-service to the front office imo. Tomlin's first draft pick and 10+ year vet, they don't let that walk out the door without an attempt. They let him play out his big 5 year contract and wanted to sign his to what his age dictated. Miami overpaid imo.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm glad we cleared that up :smiley1:

14. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yes, based on those comments I discern they had no interest in re-signing him.

15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    You're welcome

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I think the rumor of them making him an offer last year were true so this year they said go see what you can find. I'm sure they wanted him back but not at that price.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And if williams cant stop the run this season like timmons did, they will wish they paid him that piddly 12 mill, hell we paid deuce staley 12 mill to sit on the bench for 4 years......

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok and if Williams comes out and looks like a pro bowler hey will look like geniuses so what's your point.

19. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Williams stopping the run is the least of anyone's concerns I'd imagine. His coverage abilities however might

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed..with that being said we were all growing quite too familiar with LTs nameplate ...don't know how much worse VW will be but maybe we will/should be replacing him in sub packages...question is with who? Maybe we will draft one of these big safety/ small LB types. I think Mitchell and Davis are capable in the box on passing downs and provide enough size for run support...I think a good ball hawk FS can really help take away the middle of the field that teams like to exploit against our ILBs....

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    100% concur

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Best tackler on team,we will see first hand if he can handle starting role.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They gave him that contract with the intention of him being the starter in 2017.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    SMH, you are wrong. It's documented that the Steelers wanted him back at X amount of dollars.

25. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    There's a big difference between wanting a player back and Taking a player back.

The Steelers have done this before (Faneca), they love saving face with the fan base. You guys eat it up.

When you tell a guy to go out and find his market value, you are telling him you don't want him back. No matter how they dress it up for you in the media, the message is clear.