1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Villanueva Speaks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I said it before I'll say it again. Doesn't matter to me whether AV was inside or outside the tunnel. I didn't like the situation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The unique situation here is regardless of the decision that the team made to stay off the field for the National Anthem it is total different for AV in the sense that he is an ex Army Ranger prior Military if you will to ask him to not participate in a time honor custom and courtesy is like putting a starving lion in a cage and throwing a 24oz T-Bone in front of him and not expecting it to react. It's in breed into us all through our time we serve because thats who we serve our Flag and the American people. When any Military song is played or sung whether it be the National Anthem, Taps, Retreat we have a moral obligation to fallow suit and render respect to customs and courtesies. When the National Anthem is sung and our Flag is displayed I with out a doubt rise to my feet and do what I was thought to do and that is render respect and honor to those past and present because that's who I am and what I'm about. There's no black and white there. I'm proud of AV for many reasons but mostly because he's my brother in arms we share that destinction. God Bless America and the Steelers.:flag:

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You keep posting these tweets. But they don't support what you're suggesting.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I never mentioned you. ;) In fact, I didn't have you in mind at all. And my beef last night was mostly directed at social media warriors. We're getting a lot of visitors. (You have no idea how much guarding of the gate we've been doing) :roflmao:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    It's BS it even got to the point where they voted to prevent their army ranger teammate from attending the National Anthem. It obviously was important enough for him to want to be able to get a good vantage point to see the flag and the ceremony. I'm not sure why this fact is getting lost in all of this. It was important to him. I also think it's BS they couldn't move up 10 feet to join him. The whole thing is ridiculous.<mod edit>

Let's not go there.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Titans have a player who has a father who served 23 years and his brother died while serving the country. He stayed in the locker room with his team, no issues. Titans aren't getting hammered in the media like the Steelers are. He also said he plans on kneeling during the anthem until the President apologies. So there's some perspective.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Here's someone else who hasn't bothered to listen to AV's own words or didn't comprehend them.

Seriously. Go listen to the man before you go off half cocked and put words in his mouth.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/vide...lability/60a772b5-8a2c-4422-9ce1-d25f569ed36b

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    What did I miss? He wanted to get a view of the flag... How is that twisting his words? It obviously had some meaning to him. Even if he truly didn't intend to stand out from the crowd like that. I didn't hear about any other non-captains wanting to get up front to see the flag.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm trying to stay out of this, but you make it hard. I don't know why you keep bringing up the Titans as if they are the litmus for the Steelers. Aside from that, you're not right. Titans fans booed, they're getting negative media attention (at least one player is in the news because he didn't have the choice to go out) they have angry fans on the internet voicing their unhappiness, etc..

I am no longer a Titan fan. Will not support them in anyway! I will support a team who supports the country!!

Not one dime of our tax money to subsidise a team with a bunch of over paid ingrates to disrespect our flag. BOO TITANS. I hope the fans turn their backs on you. Looks like that is exactly what's happening.

I am a disabled vet who served my country so that these idiots and disrespect our country at my expense? NO more..... I wont watch another football game

I attended the game, and the Titans were booed by their own fans. I believe playing the anthem before the teams come on the field is a good idea for every game.

That took me five seconds. There are tons on Facebook, but I won't share them here.

AV being at the end of the tunnel with his hand over his heart might have made the category 4 crapstorm a category 5, but it still would have been a crapstorm, you can count on that

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He's served his country in combat and everything inside of him said to stand in view of the flag for our anthem. That's it.
    The rest of the chatter are just the usual's with agendas, so take it for what it's worth. They'll use a thread like a sign non-stop and argue endlessly. They live for this!

Maybe, just maybe, the team didn't stay with him?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I know there's people mad at every team for whatever reason. Just type in Titans and Steelers in Twitter. Steelers have had it the worst out of every team even the teams that kneeled. First everybody is praising AV and ****ting on the rest of the team. Then he has to come out and tell the truth. Now some people are mad at AV. Ben and Heyward had to do a presser on it. Ben had to release a statement. Mr Rooney had to. Tomlin is visibly mad. What other teams are having to go thru all this? They've legit pissed off every side in this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    First, the team didn't vote on whether or not AV could go to the sideline, the mouth of the tunnel, or anywhere else. Everyone--AV included--mutually agreed to stay in the tunnel. Not as a protest, but to avoid being perceived as protesting in the public/media eye.

Second, it's been said (by at least AV and Ben) that the anthem started playing while AV was gapped from the rest of the team. The players, again including at least AV and Ben, decided to stand still rather than shuffle around while the anthem was playing (and, I'd add, photographers were pointing cameras at them). Even if other players wanted to see the flag, they mistimed their arrival at the tunnel's mouth and were surprised that the anthem started playing when it did. (And c'mon, you're making it no-win: how can 53 big men all be at the front?)

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The people that wanted to talk about this are the people who are all hurt over the incident.

It was explained how they got separated. No one was at fault here but people need to rail against something.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Leave it alone, AV was the hero, and the only one that showed respect to the national anthem, the flag, the country.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove any doubt"
    -Twain

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    You misrepresented the events. He AGREED to staying inside. The next day, he reconsidered and negotiated a compromise which would allow him to see the flag/anthem... and the TEAM CAPTAINS AGREED. The team captains were supposed to be right next to him, with the rest of the team right behind. Unfortunately, he went outside early to find a decent vantage point that didn't need him to go too far outside. As he waited for the rest of the team, they got cut off by people and props being rushed off the field, and so by the time they could walk to him, the anthem stated, and they stopped to stand for the anthem.

He has stated unequivocally that his being separate from the rest of the team was AN ACCIDENT. It was never his, nor was it the team's intention.

Instead, you spin it to make it appear that the team tried to screw him and didn't have his back. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your need to be pissed off. :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    AV bristled at the notion his teammates disrespected the flag and country. Took exception with anyone who says they arent patriotic.

Of course AV is just covering for them and taking the fall. Got to love alternate facts.

The stubbornness on display here is staggering.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So I guess the mans word means nothing anymore

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Your right AV was just covering for them, I wouldn't expect anything different from him.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, for goodness sake... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Im right, alternative facts.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Yeah, I'm replying to myself. :blush: But it's to say...

When I Google Image-searched for a pic of the players behind AV, I was surprised at how many are angled to obscure them or are light-metered to put the tunnel in almost total darkness. Talk about media spin...
    :puking 3:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

FFS? " Friends for Sale" ? haha

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Already self censored. Not sure how you quoted it after the fact. LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1