1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vikings "strongly" pursuing Wallace

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by antennaman1969, Mar 7, 2013.

1. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i hope he does well so we can get a good comp pick.:cool:

3. antennaman1969

Sep 9, 2012
  4. antennaman1969

Sep 9, 2012
  5. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Somebody is going to seriously over pay for this guy. He lucked out with Bowe getting resigned, and other teams do not seem as interested in Jennings as they do in Wallace. Good for him getting paid, but I feel bad for the teams over paying him.

6. antennaman1969

Sep 9, 2012
  7. BurgherBoy7

Oct 16, 2011
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with this, although I think they were a bit hard on Mendy. Don't get me wrong, I'm DEFINITELY not clamoring for his return, but he's not exactly a chump of a player.

On a broader note, I agree with his overall assessment of the FA class. I really don't see any high priced free agents that will pay off.

9. antennaman1969

Sep 9, 2012
  10. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Everyone has their own opinion, so this is mine- for those of you saying Wallace leaving is a great thing, and can't wait til he is gone stuff, please copy that and post it when he is burning DBs next year when he is back in a new system of long ball. How soon some of you forget you liked him a mere 12 months ago, and after several dropped passes and a bad attitude about his content he now SUCKS? Talent is talent and Wallace has plenty. He is far from a bad WR as some of you make him, and last season without him on the field we would've been at least two more games under where we were. Fans don't see it but he changes the entire DB scheme PERIOD! If the FO had the money we all know he would be staying right here, so don't hate on him because he is getting paid, and we spent too much on several AARP members!

11. antennaman1969

Sep 9, 2012
    In today's NFL, unfortunately, you don't have time to weather a guy's PMS storms. He's gotta shake it off, get motivated, and take it out on the opposing team. The Steelers are tight on money and roster spots. This team couldn't afford to baby him if he were Arian Foster.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with everything you said, and that's why I don't want him back. However, there is talent there, and he can still play football at a starting RB level if he can land in the right situation. If someone doesn't overpay, they may get a 1,000+ yard, 10 TD rusher, who is a pretty darn good pass protector, at relatively small price.

13. BurgherBoy7

Oct 16, 2011
    I never said I didn't like him, or appreciate the talent he does possess, and what he helped our football team do in previous seasons. All I'm saying is that some teams and analysts are making it seem like we are letting Jerry Rice walk out the door. And thats not it, I'm just pointing out that teams are going to over pay for his skill set. He is a speedy receiver and he can take a top off a defense. And hopefully he falls in the right situation where he becomes an asset, but his hands and route running rank among the lowest starting receivers in the league, as pointed out in the bleacher report link I posted earlier. And yes I do believe we would have paid him to stay here if we had the money, but we would have not over paid him like the dolphins and vikings will more than likely do. I don't think the steelers would have given him a $60 million contract like Miami is willing to give him.

14. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The only two talents he showed here was running fast and catching the ball. Last year he couldn't catch. He's not a leader, doesn't go get the ball, obiously isn't a team guy. After the guy came out and said he wanted Fitz money he performed like Sweed. I'll take a slow receiver that makes the tough catches over a speed guy any day (see A. Boldin).

15. black&gold in NJ

black&gold in NJ Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    This was mentioned early Feb when they were talking about if Harvin was going leave or stay .

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this is the only thing wallace can still give us

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This kind of comment from the article makes me proud to be a Steelers fan:
    Think about it. The Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the smartest and classiest organizations in sports, are about to let Wallace walk away. They've had enough. That should be a major red flag.

If Mike Wallace had 4.5 speed instead of 4.25 speed, he'd be fighting for a spot on somebody's practice squad.

18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've seen you and a few others make this comment, Jack, and I just don't understand it. If Pouncey was 4 ft high he wouldn't be our starting centre. If Ben only had one arm he wouldn't be out starting QB.

Wallce has built his skills around his core ability. There's nothing wrong with that.

19. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've never hated Wallace as much as many here either. He did regress this season, and I think it was because his head wasn't in the right place... but he's still very talented, we just can't afford him. I would've kept him over Brown for the same money if he had taken it.

People here hating on Mike is like getting turned down by a girl you ask to prom so you tell everyone she's not that hot. People take it way too personal that Mike isn't going to stay in Pittsburgh for less money.

I can't say that I blame him since it's looking like he will certainly get 10+ mil per season.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I only mean to convey that Wallace is mediocre to below average in every other skill set. I could even make the argument that speed is not really a skill but a God-given ability. Wallace is as fast as the wind, no question about it, but he's lacking everywhere else. Because he is so fast, he will have some usefulness to a football team. Wallace needs to get on his knees and thank the Lord above that He made him so fast. Otherwise, he wouldn't be getting ready to ink the indecent contract he's getting ready to sign. I'm simply saying that he's about as one-dimensional as any player in football. Ben and Pouncey are much more well-rounded and have multiple skill-sets.

Out of curiosity, IF (and I know we're talking hypotheticals here) Wallace were .25 seconds slower, how sought after do you think he would be? I think he'd be marginal at best and out of the league at worst.

21. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agreed. But I don't see any way that we don't get a 3rd round pick for him

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Name me a WR that left this team that really hurt us? Plax, nope, Holmes, nope and they are both better then Wallace. I defended Wallace multiple times last season for some of his drops but losing this guy is not that big a deal. And given his punk attitude, I am not sorry to see him go. He'll be replaced and we won't miss a beat, I laugh when people act like we are losing Jerry Rice. And I couldn't care less what DB's he burns for TD's next season because most likely it won't be us, we rarely give up those types of scores, we are the best at defending the long ball because of the style defense we play.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't agree that he's lacking everywhere else. I don't think he's worth the money he wants, but as I've said - a speedster is going to develop skills to compliment that ability. If someone has pace, they don't want to bulk up to be a better blocker.

If Wallace was .25 seconds slower, he wouldnt be getting sent on the routes he runs which get us points. He would likely develop different aspects of his game to compliment whatever his core skill then was. He would be a completely different player. So the question is as moot as asking whether Pouncey would be a starter if he was a midget.

24. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol: and :lolol:

25. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    You're right to some extent, but part of the reason we haven't missed a beat when losing receivers is we've had a really good track record of drafting them. Plax, Randle El, Nate Washington, Santonio, Wallace, Brown, etc.

We would've been in trouble once Santonio left but the FO hit it out of the park when we draft Wallace and Brown. I expect us to take a WR early so hopefully we continue that success.

I don't know that anyone says we're losing Jerry Rice... I just think Mike is talented, and dangerous and I'm sad to see him go. I'm not saying I want to re-sign him, it's impossible at this point. All I'm saying is I'm not going to trash him and act like he's a bum just because he's no longer a Steeler.