1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vick Coming for a Look??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Vick is a public figure/celebrity. No offense to electricians, but I would not put electrician and famous NFL QB in the same category. Being a star NFL QB is a privilege... A one in several hundred million opportunity. If you want to risk squandering it away because you're so sick in the head, that you have to continue killing dogs, then no... He doesn't deserve to continue to live that lavish lifestyle. Irsay being addicted to drugs/alcohol is not the same as Vick. Weak analogy yet again.

2. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    It's was more the childhood bond than any Dungy influ. Tomlin knew the life Vick lead and the impact it had on his life. I still think even today there's a lingering bond and Tomlin is pushing this sign. There's not a dam thing anyone can do to stop it.

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No and like I said I don't care what Ben did it doesn't bother me but was he in general a POS of a human being yes he was and there are many actual accounts of that. Did he make up for it and change his ways he sure. That's what I pay attention to is did they learn from their mistakes? I said if you want to bring up that Vick had the worst completion percentage in the league as to why you don't want him on the team then great but to say you don't want him on the team because of past mistakes doesn't make sense to me when we have numerous players already on the team with a checkered past.

4. 1940sfootball

1940sfootball Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    <Mod edit> Let's keep race out of this, please.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    And Isray is not and sorry I am an animal lover as I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 hamsters, and a turtle living in my house but to me a DUI while all pilled up is worse then dog fighting. I value human lives over animals maybe you don't that is your choice. No matter what your job is at the end of the day we are all people and should be treated the same across the board. So no the fact that he was an NFL QB and a public figure does not change my stance that he should have every opportunity to return to the life he once lived.

6. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He did the crime,he did his time. If he was and is allowed back in the league then it must be good enough for the NFL to which he is a part of. I don't root for the Steelers because they are full of choir boys. Everyone was on board with the Blount signing last year and thought we would have the most devastating backfield in the league. Everyone knew he had a bad rep as a bad guy and I know everyone saw the sucker punch he threw in college. That same punch in public would get you arrested for assault. Everyone loved having him in a Steeler uniform until his true colors came out ,then we all despised him again. To me it boils down to whether or not he is a upgrade and can help us win games.

If he's good enough to reside in the NFL the league that our team plays in,it's good enough for me,providing he still has what it takes....just win baby!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
  9. 1940sfootball

Aug 22, 2015
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    To be fair, it got to the second page before someone mentioned the Nazis.

But I agree.

It depends on whether the life a criminal lived before he got arrested was a life of crime. Hence the "criminal" thing. If a doctor is put in prison for abusing his patients, then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want him being a doctor when he came out.

Rehab is great. Giving a guy a high profile, million dollar job, with a reality tv show to boot, like nothing ever happened isn't.

But all this discussion has been had, many many times before, when he came out of prison. I don't think it needs going over again. Likewise, I don't think bringing up other cases that have utterly no connection to the crime, context or character is helpful at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I didn't say that. You still didn't answer my questions about what makes Vick a good "on the field" addition to the roster. Well?

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Well yeah I agree with you there if I'm for some reason purposely wiring up houses to burn down then yeah I should not be an electrician when I get it out but fighting dogs has no impact on football. And yeah I did say lets stop acting like he is Hitler lol.

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    He has experience and imo from a football standpoint is still a better option then Landry Jones. Let's me ask you this week 17 fourth quarter and the game is all tied up. If the Steelers win they get the first round bye and Ben goes down. Would you be more confident in Vick to get us the win or Jones? From what I have seen from Jones to me the answer is Vick.

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    ... PETA VP: "As long as he's throwing a football and not electrocuting a dog, PETA is pleased he is focused on his game."

15. 1940sfootball

Aug 22, 2015
    What? I didn't say a racist thing. I stated a fact. There's a large black population that in Penn and Vick jerseys nationwide will go through the roof.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. 1940sfootball

Aug 22, 2015
    No one cares what Peta thinks about anything

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I really hope they don't sign this guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'd like to see LJ get some reps with starters to see how much better they make him look. LJ has been disappointing for most of us, but in his defense he has gotten better every week and he is playing with some guys who won't make this team. To answer your question, I don't want to see either one of those guys in that scenario. But based on where we are right now, I can honestly say give Jones the shot since he has more time in this O, knows the playbook, and has gotten most of the gametime reps so far his preseason. I'm still waiting for you to answer specifically what Vick brings from a football standpoint. From my earlier post to you:

What does Vick add that isn't already on the roster? Why should the steelers cut a player and who would that be to make room for Vick? Keep in mind, his performance over the past 2 full seasons is nothing to brag about and he is 35 years old, lost more than just a step which is not good for a running QB. He doesn't have a strong history running an O like the steelers have. He doesn't know he playbook. How do these things help the steelers if Ben goes down?

19. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
    You'd be surprised at how influential those things can be.. Especially when talking about an NFL franchise, not a typical business. This is a backup QB don't forget.. If people in Steelers management come to realize it's just not worth the aggrevation, they'll pass.. Plenty of teams have thought about Rice, Vick, etc, and ended up doing the same thing.. Passing, because it's just not worth the aggravation for a fringe player.

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I said he brings experience. Jones has also never ran against the ones and is playing against a bunch of players that aren't going to be in the league and still struggles from under center. Vick isn't going to get rattled going into a game as he has been there and done that. Jones has shown me absolutely nothing. If all else fails Vick can still tuck it and run as he had 126 yards on 20 some scrambles last year.

21. 1940sfootball

Aug 22, 2015
    He just played across town,there is no issue. It's a media invention in the first place. Only fringe looney give damn,about a guy killing dogs to the point of starting a pointless campaign . If the Rooney's actually want this it will happen

22. Real steel

Real steel Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Tthere only signing him so the Pats don't sign him for week one. Pats know Mike Vick is better then Garappolo and He beat the steelers last year

23. Steelhammer92

May 19, 2015
    Yeah, it is media driven.. And when the media picks up on it, that's when it becomes influential. Do you think the Steelers want a bunch of articles out there about how thousands of Steelers fans hate the player they are thinking about signing? A fringe player to boot.. Attracting all that negative attention is not good for business. It turns fans off from buying their products and such as well. Do you think signing Vick is really going to motivate everyone to go out and buy more Steelers gear? Quite the opposite will happen. Look at the Steelers facebook page. It's riddled with ant-Vick messages. Not sure it's worth it for a fringe, washed up backup QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Wait, What? The Steelers are signing Vick?

25. Aaron D Jones

Aaron D Jones New Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Having formerly worked and lived in Pittsburgh, you guys are definitely still entertaining. Vick would be by far the best quarterback you could bring in. The Steelers would be lucky to sign Michael Vick. He's better than about 10 current starting QB's in the NFL. From Blacksburg to Pittsburgh. The return of the Michael Vick Experience. I wish he was a Cowboy, instead of sorry Brandon Weeden. Just think, if Big Ben goes down, the Steelers may have a chance of playing the Cowboys in the Super Bowl this year;)
    #HokieNation
    #DBU
    #Sacksburg

Attached Files: