1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vick Coming for a Look??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Aug 25, 2015.

1. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now he is the best available option considering we have only two QB's on the roster with experience. One shouldn't play more than a little bit the rest of the pre-season. That means Landry playing non-stop for 3 more games. That is good for him but we really need a third guy. With cuts coming much later this year I am with them taking a look.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Big difference between forgiving a person their faults and acepting that person as a friend and colleague. I respect ray Lewis and forgive him his sins but wouldn't have dinner with the man.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He is a polarizing figure for sure. I wouldn't want to take a flyer on the guy and definitely don't want to see Vick in terms black n gold. I'm not a fan of LJ, but he has improved in each preseason game and might be serviceable. I'd like to see LJ get some game reps with he #1's.

4. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

He may have shown the outside world that he is a "changed" man, but dont let him fool you. Cant say how i know this but his exact words one night "If I knew i could get away with it, I do it again, but they watchin too hard!

Take it how you want it, believe me or not. Dont care, i know the truth, and I know i will never pull for this low life piece of ****!

5. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I can tell that most of the people posting on this thread are older. Choosing to lose games over signing a QB that made a pretty big mistake in his life? Should we care more about the people individually or as football players?

I have two rescue dogs and think what he allowed to happen was deplorable, but I also recognize that it was the culture in which he immersed himself into. His friends and family(?) had a big role in perpetuating that type of behavior. He had every chance to say no and to not do it, and for that reason he is at fault. But would I be scared if I was locked in a room with him? Of course not. He doesn't seem to be a bad person, but he did make some inexcusable mistakes. That does not mean that we have to dismiss him as an evil to society.

As a football player, he didn't beat Geno out last year because the Jets wanted to develop Geno as the franchise QB. Most reports from Jets insiders said that Vick gave them a better chance to win. They would have done better had Vick started the season and not come in as a patchwork player halfway into the season.

As for my age comment above, I am 23 and I think it is ridiculous when I interact with people (outside of here) who are too stubborn to rationalize their thoughts and ideas, and they are typically from generations older than my own. While I probably should not generalize and assume what I assumed, I did read on another post that most of the people here were older than myself at least. I just don't think that it is healthy to display hate towards people who themselves were hateful in the past.

All that said, Vick is an upgrade. We need a veteran QB. Sign him.

P.S. for all the morality thumpers here, Ben was accused of rape and Harrison had a domestic abuse incident. Are they scum of the Earth and should they be banished because the Steelers organization is a divine entity? Because their transgressions, alleged or otherwise, are a lot worse than Vick's.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not every bad thing is a "mistake" or "error in judgment." Methodically torturing animals over many years is something one does with extreme intention. I'd rather have a guy that made an actual mistake, or momentary loss of judgment, even if it was something like manslaughter or murder, than someone with evil in his heart like Vick. There can be circumstances around something like murder; anyone might do it under the right circumstances, and while I'm not saying I want murderers on the team, I'm saying it's possible there might be a guy whose case I'd be willing to take a look at and select over Vick. Anyone who's seen Dateline should know this. But we know Vick's circumstances. They are a no-go.

Also, the details of this case don't just portray the evil it took to commit these crimes, they also portray a man who did not feel bad or take responsibility for his actions (no matter what Tony Dungy says!). Vick did what he had to do keep getting paid, and once that was lost, he did what he had to do to get paid again. There are no signs of remorse anywhere.

Nice touch on the "Well you probably did something like this too" at the end of your post. If you can equate your "skeletons" with Vick's that easily, you might want to get yourself to a psych ward or police station.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

Here's why Tomlin likes him... it's on the front page of the Steeler fans

If his physical checks out, I have to think the team will probably sign him. As Mike Tomlin said in an interview on NBC, the two both grew up in Newport News, VA, and Coach Tomlin indicated that he was interested in bringing Vick in after he was released from prison in 2009, in hopes to help rehabilitate the veteran quarterback.

http://thesteelersfans.com/4591/rep...-surgery-today-steelers-hosting-michael-vick/

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Generic PSA- please steer clear of religious discussion/debate as it's against board rules.

As far as dog fighting and cultural differences...it was more than that. Vick did some straight up callous/evil things. He served his time, and has seemed to "turn over a new leaf", so there's that.

I wouldn't give up on the Steelers or anything like that, but I think signing him would be a poor choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Save us the preaching BS.. I'm Catholic, yet I still think the man is human garbage. Some things are just unforgivable.. Would you give Aaron Hernandez a second chance if he was released from prison today? I'm not equating Vick's crimes with Hernandez's crimes.. My point is, some things are just too disgusting to get over, and don't deserve second chances. Vick has to carry that stigma with him for the rest of his life. It's his own fault, and he knows that.. Doesn't mean I have to accept him or forgive him or any of that bull****. I know damn well I'm not the only Steelers fan who feels that way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm 41 so let me respond as an older member of the board who will articulate his view point and leave irrational hatred on the side. I don't want Vick because he offers nothing that isn't already on the team. When first drafted he had a huge arm and elite speed for a QB. Yet as the story is for all running QB'S he failed to flourish in a system that took his positives and built off them. He has always been up and down with his accuracy, more likely to pull the ball down and run than go through his progressions. His speed has slowed and I have not witnessed anything to convince me that he has worked on craft in order to play the position without relying on his failing athletic prowess. He would have to struggle with the playbook and offer little upside to what has been in camp or on the team for two years. Landry Jones is himself inaccurate and learning to read defenses so Vick offers little to change that. If a mobile QB is wanted Pryor is likely being cut from the Browns as a WR and McGloin showed some spark in Oakland last year. Both are younger and would be at least similar to Vick without the character issues.

What good are wins if you lose yourself and who you are along the way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And thats because Dungey was full blown in Vicks corner, yeah Tomlin would have signed him then as a favor to Dungey, but why does a team sign a player to rehabilitate them back into society, how does that serve a teams best interest giving up roster spots to rehab former prison inmates? And if they do sign him now which I think it is a given, Vick wont know the play book for several weeks which gives the advantage to LJ..........

13. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I said skeletons I didn't say did something like this too. I've talked to many southerners who fight dogs. Since when is an animals life more important then a human life? Saying done with a team because of a back up they signed is ridiculous. Saying you would rather have someone that killed someone on the team is out there as well. You give me the choice between Vick and Donte Stallworth I'm taking Vick all day everyday. People get outrages over a lion that has been killed but breeze right past all the murders and rapes going on in that same country. The man served his time and has bettered himself. We don't play for the Steelers and have nothing to do with them other then cheer for them. You don't like Vick cool then don't cheer for him but like the saying goes this is a business and from that standpoint this is the right move. These guys aren't my role models and I've made sure aren't my kids role models they are football players and that's it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    So besides the PR nightmare that Vick brings to any team, can someone articulate exactly why a washed up 35 year old running QB would be a better BU option for this offense coming into a system he knows nothing about? The comment earlier about Vick not being able to unseat Geno Smith was dead on and I don't buy the apologist line about them wanting to develop Smith even though Vick gave them a better chance to win. That is utter horsesh!t and baseless. What in the past 2-3 seasons has Vick done that is so spectacular? And rehabilitating Vick??? Does Tomlin think he's running a home for wayward boys?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't really agree personally, or at least, I don't have any proof that Tomlin's opinion about Vick was orchestrated by Dungy. He seemed genuinely interested in wanting to give Vick a place to "rehabilitate".

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    LJ let the kid play and wait for another one after the cuts.:cool:

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is complete nonsense.

I don't pretend to like either Ben or Harrison on a personal level, but:

A) What they did is worse than Vick, even if they didn't do it??
    B) In terms of if they actually did it, Ben might have. He was probably up to no good. Did he assault someone? I don't know. That's pretty different from the certainty we have regarding Vick. Harrison did slap his girlfriend, so we're certain about that.
    C) I'm a defender of women's rights, and the sexism in the country and especially among NFL fans remains rampant and disgusting. But I'm gonna go ahead and say it: slapping a woman one time is not as bad as what Vick did. Like saying "bomb" on an airplane, saying something is worse than beating a woman can get you into trouble, no matter the context. But of course, there are times it's true. Punching a woman to death isn't as bad as the Holocaust, right? See, it's possible. So let's look at it.

- The effect wasn't as bad. It just wasn't. One hurt person. Worst-case scenario: minimal physical damage, and lingering psychological damage. Could result in a broken relationship. Could result in therapy. Pretty bad stuff, but I'm gonna say not as bad as methodically torturing and killing animals. I'm all for (consistently) firing guys who do that kind of thing. Throw Harrison out of the league, if you're going to do that to the other guys as well. Say his kind isn't welcome here. But as bad as Vick? Are you familiar with the details?

- The intentions weren't as bad. Again, not trying to excuse this kind of thing, but I doubt Harrison had been planning for years to slap her, and I know he didn't continue slapping her for years after. I bet he didn't invite his friends over to watch and help. I bet he did it because of an inexcusable and unforgivable lack of self-control, not because it was so much fun. Pretty different from Vick, who had long wanted to torture animals, did so the moment he was able, kept it up until he got caught, and blamed everyone and anyone besides himself until his fate was 100% sealed.

Accuse me of saying this through black and gold glasses if you want, but Ben is the classic example of a guy messing up and turning his life around. His assault allegations are no joke, but there was so little evidence he was never arrested. He was suspended anyway just for being generally seedy, he took responsibility for messing up, said he'd change his life, and did. He even seems like less of a jerk in other ways, now. On the old board I was one of the biggest Ben haters around, but I give him props. And money wasn't even so much an issue - the Steelers were going to pay him no matter what, and you know it.

People throw that story around like it's Vick's, but it's not what Vick did at all. He fought and fought and threw blame everywhere. He was ordered to pay for the dogs. His "apology" and "taking responsibility" was a joke. It wasn't until he was 100% screwed and in jail and looking at never earning another dollar again that he miraculously changed (source: Tony Dungy). And what timing! A fresh $100M contract! What a coincidence! Oh, and he managed to not drown any dogs since then. Let me go get him a ribbon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Agree.

19. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    So it's come to this?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    So intending to rape a woman isn't as bad as killing a dog? I mean Porters dogs have killed numerous animals which were someone else's pets and he kept them so isn't he just as bad? Or Harrison refusing to give up the pit bull that attacked his son isn't that just as bad? Burress his dogs did the same thing as Porters.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    yep, give him some first team reps to see how he does with #1s

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I always respect your opinion TTF, but lets agree to disagree on this one, Dungy has a very strong influence on Tomlin and Tomlin does tend to go with what dungy says..........

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    How on earth do you know someone else's intent? that's rich right there.....:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Vick didn't make a "mistake." I ****ing hate it when people characterize it as that. It was a way of life.. His lifestyle.. He'd still be living that life to this day had he not been caught. Cultural influence or not, it's a human filth way of life. Pure, despicable, human trash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I was just responding to him saying the intentions of Harrison and Ben weren't as bad as what Vick did.