1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vance McDonald

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    What's up with Vance? He has 6 catches for around 45 yards. Looks like Ebron has replaced him as Ben's go to Tight end? Always thought Vance was a good tight end but Ebron except for a fumble and a drop has been the man the this year? Is Vance done in Pittsburgh?

2. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There is only one football. The Steelers are doing a good job spreading the ball around. Vance might get his opportunities as the season progresses.

4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am glad we have both. There will come a time this season where Vance shows up big for us.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk about done in Pittsburgh... but yeah hes been replaced as the "go-to" tight end. Knew that was the case as soon as Ebron put pen to paper to come to Pittsburgh. However, I read somewhere that Vance said he'd rather block all game than catch a pass. That may be the team first attitude coming out, but I honestly think he knows his role and relishes it. I'm glad we have both because the second they sleep on Vance, he will punish for a big play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think he's a better blocker and the goal for now is to protect Ben.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Plenty of season and balls (no pun intended) to go around. I just hope Vance is ready when the ball gets tossed his way.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He said in a interview he wasn't worried about getting catches, he was glad to be blocking.

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Sounds about right, as soon as he does make a catch he lowers his head and looks for someone to crush.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vance quietly doing a lot of good blocking.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TuRnDoWnForWaTT.

Yes, I am in complete agreement with you. Others here are stating that he is enjoying his role primarily as a blocker. This is a very selfless team from what I am seeing. That is the feeling that I am getting. They seem to be having fun out there. Of course, winning has a way of doing that. It is a cause and effect per se. So let it continue.

I do not like to use the term "favorites" when talking about my team or my students. It can alienate the other group members. Given that, there is a different "receiving" attitude from a student vs. a pro football player when a favorite is singled-out (smile). However, I must admit, McDonald is definitely one of my favorites to watch. He is a monster when he gets the ball in his hands....Pure Punishment. Just brutal and I thoroughly love it.

Hey, if he is content running over people to make way for one of his teammates and helping to protect Ben then great. Again, exemplifying the team player concept as it should be. I believe he will get his touches. As I have been stating all off-season, we have so many playmakers on this team. Ben has done a good job of spreading the ball around. I think him and Fichtner are using each one's capabilities to their advantage. Right now Claypool seems to be in the limelight. Great. Let defenses focus in on him and then KAPOW: hit them with JuJu, Washington, DJ, Ebron, McDonald, McCloud, Cain, Conner, and others.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Vance is blocking more and doing a good job of it. He is doing just fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should be trade bait at this point, we may need a ILB.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No friggin way. Why in the hell would we want to disrupt the offense?

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    In another thread there was mention of JuJu as trade bait for a LB.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wouldn’t trade either one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    He's been pretty great

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Exactly why would an 1-5, 0-6, or 0-5 teams trade a good to decent ILB for a WR who is due to be an Free Agent after this season?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm just really impressed that Vance and JuJu (the number one TE and WR going into the season) are seeing so few targets and still balling out without any complaints. It says something impressive about their attitudes.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/vance-mcdonald.24642/

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Nope. Let Spillane and UG prove their worth. If they suck vs Titans and Ravens... then yes, get a ILB before trade deadline.