1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vance McDonald - Glass Man

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 11, 2017.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I knew better! I knew better than to get too excited about the prospects of Vance McDonald going into Gronk mode down the stretch to help us win number 7! I found myself getting excited last night after he came out looking like the second coming of Gronk, catching the ball like a receiver and blocking like a lineman. Then I see it on the screen. McDonald, out, shoulder.

Why is it that some guys, like every free agent TE we sign for instance, can’t stay healthy??!!
    Any word on his status?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he will be back. He is glass but damn good. Props to JJ though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here we go. Time to vilify and question a guys toughness and Heart. Happened with Ladarius Green last year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hopefully it’s minor because we could use his services for the stretch run. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I appreciated the effort from McDonald, made some clutch catches as well as James. Injuries happen. At least he wasn't signed with a history of head trauma in which said individual shouldn't have been signed. He will be back.

6. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not questioning his toughness or his heart, but it seems like some guys just can’t stay on the field. Didn’t he have this issue in SF?

Why do you try to turn everything into an argument, Glenn? Some guys are iron men and some guys are glass and some are in between. Why does pointing that out mean I’m questioning somebody’s toughness or heart?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hes got a lot of heart and hustles his ass off. Like running down an interception and saving a TD.

Some players cant take the punishment as well as others. Im not going to judge him for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Who did that? The OP focused on his inability to stay healthy. That is not a question of toughness or heart. It is a question of holding up physically. I don't doubt McDonald wants to be out there and I don't think it is a lack of toughness holding him back, but the guy has been injured a lot and that is a real concern.

Obviously, the Steelers found a flaw in the Ravens' defense they could exploit with the tight ends, but that doesn't make what McDonald was doing any less impressive. He has always had the blocking skills and athleticism to be a hell of a tight end, but he has also had trouble holding up physically and catching the ball consistently.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I thought it was more a promising rookie and bad hands in San Fran.

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn’t question the heart. I agree he showed a lot of heart saving the TD. Some players seem to be able to take a lot of punishment and just keep rolling and others just seem prone to injury like McDonad. It’s just frustrating as a fan when there’s a player with a world of talent that just can’t stay on the field and contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not worth it if he only plays a half every other game or two. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear ya...loud and clear!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Didnt say you did, I was responding in general to Glenns post. You didnt question but it does come up with these injury prone players. Fans get mad at them for some reason. Thats what I was elaborating on.

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Gotcha. I’m not mad but players like McDonald can be very frustrating. At least JJ’s stepping up.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I like JJ, he can be very useful to this team. Need to involve him more. They are too in love with seam TE's. Great if you can find one but they are not having much luck with that.

I kind of recall a TE we had that couldnt stretch the field but was great none the less. Name escapes me.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Thing is, Miller could get down the field, especially early in his career. He was the complete package at tight end and he was definitely more athletic than James.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First thing I never quoted you. I just know what type of bash fest these things turn into.

2nd I don't try and turn everything into an argument. Some things I like to debate. We are on a message board.

Remember the Ladarius Green threads last year? Remember the comments people made about him being soft and stealing the Rooney's money.

All I was saying was I know where the thread was headed. Nothing personal toward you Jack.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    hey Glenn.

you ready for?

PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS

PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS PATRIOTS

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the big issue with Green wasn't that he didn't have heart (in terms of stealing money), it is that he came to the team with the concussion history and wasn't up front about his condition. Everyone thought he was going to play day 1 including the coaching staff.

Some guys have plenty of heart, but they are also INJURY PRONE. Looks like Vance might fall into that category.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Heath will never be confused with a field stretching TE. James and Heaths 40 are almost identical, Heath at 4.87 and James 4.83.

They are the same mold of TE's, just that Heath was obviously much better then James is at this point in time. He continues to improve each year though. He had 97 yards yesterday, thats pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And a clutch 3rd down conversion I might add that they likely dont win without.

22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. I think JJ is very gradually getting better.

23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Considering that one was drafted in the 1st round, and the other in the 5th, that isn't too surprising. :smiley1:
    Not every late round pick can be ABrown. Like you said, looks like JJ is still improving.

24. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Ladarius Green Jr.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Did Tomlin provide an update on McDonald in his presser today?