1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaccaro signs with TN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Why didn't' Pgh sign this guy? To save a few bucks?

The guy is 27, in the physical prime of his life. And Reid is STILL out there.

Is Burnett really better than Vaccaro?

Why do they always have to shop at the bargain bin?

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    A lot of FA safeties were left unsigned. A lot of those guys having to take lesser deals now just to get a job this season.

Steelers decided Burnett was better value at the time he was signed. Even if Vacarro was on their list (and I would have been happy with that signing), he would be commanding more at that point in the off-season than he’s signed for now.

3. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I saw multiple sites rating Burnett as the #1 safety on the FA market. The Steelers pretty much had their choice of who they wanted to sign, I think Burnett gives them the versatility they coveted and seem to be making a priority for their defense this year. They signed him to a 3 year 14.5 million dollar deal, I don't think that is bargain bin shopping, I just think they rated him over the other safeties out there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Maybe, but isn't it a trend that whoever is cheaper is who they claim they had "rated higher?" IDK.

But Burnett missed 10 games in the last 3 seasons. He better be healthy at least, for him to be a good signing. And he had only 2 int. in that same span.

Vaccaro also missed 11 games over 3 seasons, but he had 5 ints.

5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You could very well be right.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The injuries have taken a toll on him, he got benched in New Orleans.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh no the Steelers suck. They have no idea how to run the team. I know so much more than them. (Green font)

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Burnett played in a similar defense to ours and it's not just about the picks. As for bargain basement, is McDonald or green or bostic or alualu or haden or Burnett in that category? :cool:

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Pretty much so save Haden. McDonald always hurt, Green was a terrible signing with the front office caught with their pants down, Bostic is kind of beat up. Alualu an economic signing, but one I like.

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I disagree about Green being a terrible signing, pants down and all that stuff. Green had the potential to be a star, and the Steelers took a chance on it. The chance didn't work out the way we wanted it too...happens all too often. I think you have to be a little more subjective when looking in hindsight. It isn't fair to look back from the end result and say, "Yep, I knew it all the time."

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I didn't. I called the Green signing a mistake far before everyone else knew it.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ms. Cleo is that you?

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Mr. Bean, is that you?

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well to be fair everyone passed on Vaccaro and if it weren't for a season ending injury to Cyprien Vaccaro would still be a FA. I like Vaccaro but I trust the Steelers FO when they decided to sign Burnett over him. As far as bargain bin how often had the team spending the most money in FA won a SB, heck even make the play offs? The Steelers have never been big spenders it just is not their way when it comes to FA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    7 mil for one year. No thanks. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a little more confused than usual by your "I didn't." Even if your trying to say that you didn't say Green was a terrible signing and really meant it was a mistake, I still disagree. Taking a chance in football is basically the essence of football. Kids take a chance on football when they pick the sport up, coaches take a chance when they decide to instruct others, colleges take a chance when the offer a scholarship, Pro teams, take a chance when they draft a player, and teams take a chance on any player's potential. The best anyone can do is hope to take educated chances. Green was not a terrible signing or a mistake. It just didn't turn out as hoped, period. That is the way the ball bounces, how the cookie crumbles, them's the breaks, tough luck, etc.

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No. At the time, I said Green appeared to have reached the concussion "threshold" at which time the player gets easily concussed from then on, ending his career. I questioned Green's health. At that point, we saw the endless weeks of non-specified injuries (I think they hinted it was a leg) and by the time he finally made the field of play, I think it took about 1 and a half games before he was concussed again, and then after a few weeks he came back and was concussed within a game or two again.

Face it: The front office screwed that signing up; they didn't do due diligence.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Burnett is better than Vaccaro, don't know why people are underselling him. I said over a month ago that I think our secondary will be a strength this year with Haden and Burnett back there. Those are two very good players.

If our new secondary coach can coach up Burns and Davis, I think it will be much improved.

But just the subtraction of Mitchell and the addition of Burnett plus Haden, thats a big difference right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    If you are telling me to face it, no thanks. I'll stick with my disagreement. ;)

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    How did you feel about Troy?:cool:

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure there are a couple here that "just knew" he would of fell to us and we didn't get optimum "value" because we traded up....idiots we were...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1