1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding the 2017 Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, May 20, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Yep.

Cannot measure a players ability to persevere even if all else fails. Such traits are seldom but are required to win.

Sure, we might have not received the very best athletes. What we did receive is a collective group that has something fundementally that will see them through the tumultuous grind that awaits them in this league.

For TJ it is about making himself known and not just his family name. For others like JuJu Smith Schuster it is about proof of ones worth. To achieve these goals, such individuals need to have something they can use to overcome any shortcomings.

What that "something" is? It could be anything. Antonio Brown's was becoming the best. Others like Ramon Foster showcased it is possible to achieve dreams if one is willing to put the work in.

In short, I am glad these players have "something" that they can hold onto. I am not saying that every pick is an All Pro or HOFer but I am stating that having whatever motivates an individual to assist the team is benefical and will yield rewards later down the road.

Without that something however, even if they are transcendent athletes like Myles Garrett, while they may be good when they are needed, they may crack when it matters most.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts exactly, especially the BR part. Good but not great. No where near elite.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The gist the I took away from this draft class is that they went for intelligence. Our team sometimes tends to come across as dumb.

I think citing preseason and Bens desire to win is silly and Ben looking over his shoulder at Dobbs is downright stupid.

AB and Bell was spot on.

Overall, on paper, I agree that this draft seems pretty good.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When your QB calls you the Patriots little brother something is wrong with this picture.
    Ben is tired of Tomlin and Haley and is also beat up from a long career. He may pack it in very soon.
    Steelers draft was a B- in my opinion, should have been more proactive to aquire the pieces needed
    to compete for Championships. Ask yourself, did we get better on the back end where we have a lot
    of questions regarding talent? I agree with some of the things the writer says I think there are way too
    many Prima Donnas on this team and not enough team only members. Remember young people.
    There is no I in team. But of course it has to start at the top. LOL

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have been thinking about this "Hearts and Smarts" draft for awhile along the same lines as that article. And I was trying to find the glaring examples of players exhibiting the lack of "hearts and smarts", since that is what they wanted to improve.

Sure the AB facebook thing was dumb, but he is well known for his work ethic and that stretch over the goal line to beat the Ravens was all heart.

Bryant/Bell's suspensions were obvious, but Bell's work ethic is not in question and his heart is evident with how many touches he gets and his production.

I thought the team put on a heckuva stretch in the second half of the season and I didn't see much quit. I do agree with the general sentiment of the article but it is hard to find the examples of "a lack of commitment" or whatever you want to call it. There is obviously some locker room dynamics going on that the public is not privy to and the FO wants to try and improve it.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I love when people proclaim what someone they've never met is feeling and thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I'm sure Ben is tired of not getting destroyed every game and putting up career numbers while still winning a bunch of football games. Ben was honest when he said we are the Pats little brother. Hey just know how to beat us.