1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Unbiased View

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JPP, Nov 14, 2021.

1. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    So this is what someone who isn't a fan or isn't hater. It's just an unbiased view of someone who saw the game today. Not my opinion and not weighing in on this other than to say this is what is being said of the Steelers effort today.

Mason Rudolph was an abject failure filling in for Big Ben with the future Hall of Fame on the COVID-19 list, and even though Lions QB Jared Goff was even worse, the Steelers couldn't muster a way to score one more point than the sad-sack Lions in Pittsburgh. With their constant turnovers and lack of discipline, the Steelers were quite lucky not to lose. Rudolph managed to thrown for 4.8 yards per attempt, his accuracy and decision-making were suspect and the vaunted Steelers defense allowed Detroit to roll up 229 yards rushing, including one scoring drive of nothing but five running plays (for 85 yards) and one incomplete pass, including a 42-yard TD by a converted safety.

How anyone could view today as anything but a terrible performance can only be attributed to a really ignorant (in the sense of lack of reality) fan and someone who really should be questioned in their limited knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019

so you mean Glenn?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So your blaming Mason for the two fumbles in overtime? And you blame him for 4.8 yds per atttempt. What was Goff? Oh, 4.6.

Two fumbles in overtime. Thats what lost it for us.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It never should have gone to overtime. Rudolph missed too many easy throws. The interception was an awful throw that ended a drive and flipped the field. He missed Johnson on a slant in regulation that likely would have led to a go-ahead field goal. He also badly underthrew a wide-open McCloud in the end zone.

Yes, other players screwed up today. Yes, the coaches did a poor job. Yes, Johnson has to hold on to the damn ball in that situation in overtime. So does Freiermuth.

All of that said, Rudolph played poorly against a terrible defense. If he just hits on the easy throws, the Steelers win.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    None of those were my words - I was quoting someone evaluating the Steeler performance today. The fumbles were huge and I would have loved to see Boz get a shot (I think he's good, but let's not act like the Steelers were in gimme FG range in either case).

Let's also not forget that MR threw what should have been an INT that likely loses the game that was dropped. Also, I'm not going to compare him to Goff (who is 0-8 and has never won a game without S McVay). And beyond that, Goff got his team in FG range and his kicker missed a makeable GW FG and also missed an XP.

I've said earlier today, DJ and PF were more at fault today than MR but let's not act like that was an adequate performance by him, for points that Formerscribe pointed out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some don't realize what even a broken down Ben still brings 2 the table.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Well. We didn't lose. That's my view going forward as abstract as that may be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Ben finds a way to win that game. Mason I had no confidence in at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree and disagree with you at the same time.

Yes. Those fumbles are what ultimately did the Steelers in. That doesn't change the fact that Rudolph was awful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. We'll I don't know about awful, but clearly not good. I was hoping 2 see More...Not 2 take Ben's spot this Year, but 2 take over next year...allowing Us 2 still build the team. Without having 2 draft a Qb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Of course Ben hasn't done any of the things MR did today over the past two years, right? Missing easy throws, over throwing open receivers, throwing passes into the numbers of the defenders who luckily can't catch. If only Ben was playing, none of those things would have happened. Right? Ben would also get us extra yards running too, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    While Johnson and Friermuth were bearing gifts for the Lions, if tonight was Christmas, the kids wouldn't be getting any toys with Rudolph guiding the sled.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Really? Would Ben handle those great Green snaps as well as Rudolph? Delusional, you are.

14. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Also was thinking about this, if JuJu fumbles like Dionte did, we’d crucify him as fans.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    It wouldn't have come down to that. Game would have been well in hand. JMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Rudolph wasn't good at all today, but the team still was in a position twice in OT to try a for a GW FG and both times they fumbled the ball away. I would be a lot more critical of his performance had the Lions won, say 16-0 or 16-3. He lead them to points and he gave them hope even though he also made a lot of mistakes along the way. Look, it's pretty hard to put all the blame at Rudolph's feet when there is plenty of it to go around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Nice way to discuss your point of view. Mason couldn't figure out if he wanted Taco Bell, McDonalds or Burger king all game long. He was that indecisive.

• Like Like x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Only thing You really got is the runs. Sorry. We just played the worst passing D in the league, and Mason looked worse than Ben has ....plus Mason practices with the team more times a week. I've heard You complain about How much Ben practice.
    I wanted Mason 2 go off. I really wanted Him as our starter next Year...So we don't have 2 worry about drafting a Qb. Never Will , or Have You seen Me say Mason sucks...His just not as good as a broken down Ben. Everything Everyone has been complaining about Ben was no better....only worse today...against the worst passing D in the league.
    Some even Made excuses before the game..." when Mason goes out there and shows how much better He is then Ben ...I don't want 2 hear its because it's the Lions " not exactly the quote , but close enough....Well we won't be worrying about that.

20. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Didn't that pretty much happen vs the Saints a few years back - cost the Steelers a playoff berth if I remember correctly?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Goff didn't move the Lions into field goal range in overtime. The officials did that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It did, and Johnson deserves a huge part of the blame for the tie today. He has to be aware that he is in traffic and protect the ball at all costs in that situation. Even if he goes down right there, that is a first down at the 40-yard line.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Happened against the Ravens, then a BS roughing call put them in FG range.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mason gave us a lot of what Ben has given us this season lol.
    • Sailed passes
    • Short passes
    • Underthrown deep throws
    • Missed wide open receivers
    • Near turnovers on poor decisions

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Let's not forget the oline that actually started to look better until today. Center had bad snaps all day and the last one over masons head killed what could have been a short drive to a game winning Fg

• Agree Agree x 1