1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Unbelievable joke of a call by the ref on

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Utpittsburghfan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

This is essentially why I can barely stomache the NFL these days. Pathetic call followed by more stupid inconsistency when they don't throw a flag when Mason got knocked out. I don't think that a flag should have been thrown but they thrown but in the past they have for leading with the head. Hell a defender can barely graze a quarterback's face mask or helmet with their hand and it draws a flag. It doesn't feel like it's truly about player safety and is just ruining the game. It even irritates me when we are the beneficiaries of these new sissy standards. Just bring back the violence and let them play the way the game was intended.

2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Uhh, they did throw a flag when Mason got knocked out.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are dead wrong on this one. If you touch the quarterback's head, even a graze of the helmet, it is a penalty. That's the rule.

The way Adeniyi hit Jackson was legal. It was as he threw it and above the knees. It was a terrible call, but as others pointed out, the Steelers got at least two bad calls in their favor, so it's tough to put this one on crap officiating.

I can certainly put it on Smith-Schuster, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This season isn’t ended yet. I know that’s what the negative people are hoping for so they can be even more miserable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    More players would end up with CTE, if they brought back the violence.

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yes we did, on multiple calls!

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They are 1-4, two games behind the Ravens with a head-to-head loss. Roethlisberger is out for the season and now Rudolph is out, too. We are looking at what may be a season of mostly meaningless games for the first time since 2006, if not longer. There is ample reason for negativity. To say people who recognize that want to be miserable is ridiculous. I want them to win the rest of their games. I'm just taking a realistic view of the situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The season isn’t officially over yet. Until it is all still hope for the best.
    In my opinion some people that post here aren’t happy unless they’re miserable. Again my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    When is the season officially over? After game 16? After they're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Once they're realistically eliminated from the playoffs?

I'm not being pedantic, but just pointing out that the season being "over" may be different for different people. It goes back to the whole winning SB titles vs winning games discussion. Depending on your goals, definition of success and failure, and what you derive entertainment from, different things make each person happy or miserable.

Personally, the goals and definition of success and failure changed the minute it was announced that Ben was out for the year.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    To say the season is over or has ended after yesterday it’s just a prediction are in opinion. It’s not a fact. Until we’re eliminated from the playoffs are still home. If some people choose not to help that’s fine if that works for them.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ps...steps/201403/are-you-addicted-unhappiness?amp

11. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    The pats do not experience that part of the game. If someone hit TB in the head like that the would be rooming with Burfect for the year. The pats ste the benefactors of bad calls not victims. I’d rather lose than be like the pats. Cheaters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Actually it isn't. It is supposed to be called for forcible contact to the head, at least according to the rules expert on SNF last night.

13. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, because there is any connection between JuJu's social media presence and him fumbling (other than the one in yinzers' heads).

14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Stop it. You're being as bad as the people you think are just unhappy to be unhappy.

Just because one is negative on the current season as a whole and thinks it's "over" doesn't mean they can't get some other satisfaction from it which is why I mention shifting goals.

At this point I'm looking for player development more than anything else and if some of key players, JuJu being a true #1, Washington, Bush, Johnson, a QB, any QB, show that they can be a large part of the future than that'll be great and find enjoyment in that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He slapped at the head. It is a penalty. It was clearly the right call, but by all means, be argumentative about it if that makes you happy.

16. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not being argumentative. I'm correcting your false statement. "If you touch the quarterback's head, even a graze of the helmet, it is a penalty. That's the rule." No, it is not the rule.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    First year QB and first year backup QB plus Bush and Minkah new to the team (and improving every game hopefully) I wouldn't consider any of the remaining games meaningless. Regarding post season for the Steelers you may right, except for some possible spoiler situations.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's the way it is called without fail. If the officials see a defender hit a quarterback's facemask, they throw the flag. It was not a bad call. It certainly wasn't anything like that ridiculous penalty against Adeniyi at the end of the game.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I meant meaningless in terms of wins and losses for the purpose of pursuing a playoff spot, not building toward future seasons. Maybe we can root for wins to keep the draft pick they gave up for Fitzpatrick from being too high.

20. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I agree that that is usually how it is called (unless the QB is Ben or Cam). It just isn't how it is supposed to be called. Last night the rules official actually disagreed with a roughing that was called on a scramble because the blow was glancing and not forcible so that's why it stuck out to me.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The hit on Rudolph was on the face mask. It wasn’t really a glancing blow. The defender just didn’t grab

22. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    I was talking about the Sunday Night game with the Colts and Chiefs.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I understand that, but the topic is in reference to the penalty called against the Ravens for smacking Rudolph on the facemask, which was absolutely the right call.

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wonder if the refs are just so sick of the being responsible for enforcing idiotic rules, written by the NFL, that they are just like "**** it, these rules are not enforceable and we don't give a ****"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I wish steeler fans were more like pats fans. Or any other team for that matter.