1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

UDFA's.....who's going to stick?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Dean, May 6, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Devaunte Sigler was a brick mason, now he's a Steeler

• [​IMG]
      Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer
    • upload_2016-5-6_14-38-27.png

• The Pittsburgh Steelers kicked off rookie minicamp on a sunny May day, but when you've laid brick under the smoldering Alabama sun, this weather is breezy.

"It gets hot," said Devaunte Sigler, a defensive tackle from Jacksonville State trying to make the Steelers' roster as an undrafted free agent. "A man has to earn every day out there."

A family member helped set him up as a brick mason while he waited for his next football opportunity, which Jacksonville State provided.

So, Sigler, a Mobile, Alabama, native, worked from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. It was decent money, he said, enough to help with expenses while he lived at home.

The job lasted about five weeks. JSU called. He could go back to football. And he was relieved. Bringing a lunch and wearing the hard hat every day was a grind. Plus, the shoulders and back start to give out. Those are commodities for a football player.

"It was very humbling," Sigler said. "Coming from a D-1 school to have to be home and work, I had to learn to be part of a solution."

Sigler has traded the hard hat for a Steelers helmet. Instead of a 7-to-3er, he's a 300-pound All-Ohio Valley Conference recipient, and one of the 10 undrafted free agents signed by Pittsburgh after the draft. His daughter, Essence, is his motivation to make the 53-man roster.

"Things are a whole lot different -- I’m living my dream," Sigler said. "Now you have to appreciate what you have."

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk who will make it or not. I honestly don't know all the udfa's and they wI'll change between now and camp. The best bet would be at positions that we are thin at.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    well then LG isn't one of them. :smiley1::cool:

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I looked at the UDFA list and can honestly say I hadn't heard of the majority of them... and I thought I dove into the draft pretty deep. There were a lot of "bigger" names out there available and I didn't see any signed. I thought Vernon Adams may have been one, but then I saw he had some legal troubles which came out after the draft. Just goes to show how much you really know, which is squat.

I did like the safety they got earlier this year out of Liberty - Hagen. I'll keep my eye out for him in camp, etc.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Any depth we can build in the linebacker corps and secondary is a plus for us.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I say Maxey has a shot, depends on Walton's progress.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I think Maxey has a hell of a shot.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  9. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I like Newberry.
    Very raw but strong and hustles.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Me either, usually theres one or two at least. I don't hold my breath for these guys anymore anyway, too much of a long shot.