1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

UCF QB??

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Myronwemissyinz, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    We know Bens not going to be around forever and L.Jones is not our future so...

What do you guys think about us giving Blake Bortles from UCF a good long look? This kid came on my radar when he played PSU earlier this year. Watched a few of his games since and I am very impressed. Watching him today against UCONN (I know but you can only beat who they put in front of you) 19/23 with one drop 225 YDs 3 TDs 0 INTs and its only halftime. Looked up his sophomore stats was 25 TDs 7 INTs. This year he is 14/3 including todays game. So doesnt throw a lot of INTs.

Reminds me of our #7 6.4 230. Moves in the pocket like Ben.I like this kid!!

Update....Just threw a 61 yd TD on their fist poss.Actually was about a 8 yard swing that WR turned into a 61 yd TD. Still goes to Bortles stats. And they pulled him hes done for the day.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    how is it you know landry is not our future? this amazes me.:facepalm::cool:

3. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    My crystal ball.:smiley1:

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not a lot of people know this but myron is actually Karnak. That's why his fantasy team destroys all other fantasy teams. Booyah!

5. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL:thumbs_up:

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Myron I think you just unwittingly admitted to liking Ben a lot by saying that this guy reminds you of Ben and that you like him. You know you are gonna get called to the carpet by some of your detractors here for that statement. LOL.

7. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Never said I dont like Ben. I like him a lot.Just not ready to anoint him a sure fire first ballot HOFer...yet.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh. I thought you had people all in a tizzy for criticizing him or something like that. During that whole "Is Ben elite" thing I think.

9. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I think I only posted twice as to if Ben was elite. My answer was no very good but not great. I think what I may have gotten a few riled up over was the post just wouldnt die. Bla bla bla...more or less same stuff for 3 weeks.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm trusting my magic 8 ball over that.:lolol::cool:

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope Im wrong and the kid turns out to be the next Bradshaw.

12. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Curious, is Bortles a junior or a senior and what round do you think he'll end up going in?

13. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    junior and Im not sure he is coming out. Im not a big collage football guy so Im not sure how strong the QB class is. If Im forced to guess Id say 3rd

14. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks, I did a quick search and found this; it looks like the Pat fans are looking too.
    http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2013/10/prospect-review-ucf-qb-blake-bortles.html

EDIT: Hey Myron, if you really want to see some "great stats", do a search on his GF. LOL :thumbs_up:

15. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
  16. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Good read scruffy would have liked to see writers opinion on his PSU game. That author has him going in the 2nd rd. That GF looks like a 1st rounder!!!:eek:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think he needs to be bradshaw, ben or even O'Donnell. just be able to help win games , manage the offense, and not lead to lot's of losses.

you just don't throw for that many TD's and that much yardage if you stink. yea, he's got things to work on, just like any other rookie.

expecting veteran ben like or veteran bradshaw like play in his first game is a little much. we all know they were not the greatest when they first got here.

they evolved because they had very good teams around them. ben or bradsahw didn't win anything on their own.

I do like the kid from ucf, I also like carr from fresno st. , I also like McCarron and wouldn't be against drafting another qb. that doesn't mean I want to get rid of jones though, or that I think he was a wasted pick or a bust, it means we could have two good young guys on the team learning the system and if needed can win some games for us. :cool:

18. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Contrary to popular belief around here, I had no opinion one way or the other on wether we should have drafted Landry Jones. Once here, I did take up for him when folks were bad mouthing him and likened it to how Bradshaw was treated in his early days.

Having said that and since they did draft Jones, I would have liked to seen them hire either Batch or someone like him, to act as an asistant QB Coach (or whatever you want to call it) to help tutor Jones (or whoever they might have picked) to help speed-up his development.

Here's what I would have done different and where I'll likely get slammed ... I would have also kept Caleb TerBush (on the practice squad) as a developmental / slash / wildcat type quarterback; he was both a WR & QB during his time at Perdue. Batch (or whoever) could also tutor him, and TerBush would be here constantly pushing Jones (or again whovever they picked). IMO doing that, not only would give both Jones and TerBush best chance to succeed, but we could seen if Batch had any sort of potential future in coaching.

I too also like Myron's kid from UCF a lot.

19. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Seriously? Anyone who has ever seen Jones play should know he should have never been drafted in the first place.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I've seen him play tons, and absolutely think the kid can play. no, he may not be quite ready yet, but yes he can play and win I might add. my God it wasn't like we threw a first round pick or anything at him. the kid threw for 17,000 yards somehow. that doesn't happen every day.:cool:

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They can't afford to waste another pick on a QB who won't play for awhile. They used a 4th rd pick on Landry Jones have to let him develop.

22. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Being that I'm a UCF alum...I knew of the kid. I've been pimping him to my friends. I think he initially was a TE. He's a beast...very much in the mold of Ben. Can make all the throws, Makes good decisions. One thing I will say, he is currently benefiting from the HB, Storm Johnson, kid was the top RB recruit in his calls. Initially went to Miami and left for UCF. This kid will definitely play on Sunday. But all in all, Bortles can spin it!