1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

tyler matakevich

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Reading that he is having a decent camp and is gonna weasel his way onto the roster again. Dude got 10 special teams tackles last year and he's supposedly some "ace". Why are the fans so infatuated with him ? Seriously he's probably one of the worst players in the NFL. If he didn't go to a college in PA would the fans have this kind of love affair with him ?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He's great on special teams and has a good work ethic. He should never see the field on defense though lol

Bush
    Barron
    Vince
    Tyler

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Sometimes there is more to special teams than tackling.

But Dirty Red better work super hard this camp. Lot of guys gunning for his spot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015

I think that browns team went 0-16. I just dont see what he does on special teams that's irreplaceable with some one that could be a ok linebacker if they had to finish out a game due to injury. Doesn't even average a tackle a game on ST.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There was a guy that fans said the same thing about a few years ago. He was the Steelers special teams ace but fans didn't see what he brought to the team and wanted him cut. Well they cut him and if I remember correctly they gave up a punt return and ko return for td's in consecutive games and he was resigned in a hurry.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ulysees Gilbert III and Sutton Smith are going to make Matakevich's path to the Final 53 more difficult than in years past. One is an athletic tackling machine himself and the other is a quick and agile technican. Matakevich has the hard work aspect down but possess neither of those traits.

That being said, it also does not help that a Defensive Coordinator places his players in unwinnable situations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    Matakevich isn't an ace tho. He's just a fan favorite who's decent at only ST

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    0-0 in the first game though

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Led the team in st tackles the last 3 years. Has 2 deflected punts and knocked down a pass on a fake punt. He started 1 game in his career and led the team that game with 8 tackles.

in college his senior year he led the nation in tackles.

his college career included 493 tackles
    45.5 for loss
    7.5 sacks
    7 interceptions
    11 passes defended
    4 fumble recoveries
    4 forced fumbles

:cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    The dirty red fan club always brings up the classic go to college stats. Which were what from 4 years ago now and he has one game started since then ? Hopefully he's off 53 by the end of preseason , decent ST stats at best on a suspect special teams unit. Already hit his ceiling time for some new blood

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to.be rude but you are the type of guy that will blast Matakevich for pedestrian numbers call for his replacement, answer every response in your thread reducing his contributions to nothing and those that see those as a fan club, then when he does get cut you will be the first one pissing and moaning about how special teams sucks and Dan Smith needs firing, and how gutless Tomlin is for not firing him and how they need new players on special teams. Then when Tyler is brought up you'd still claim he has no effect on ST. Listen ST is going to be enough of a question mark this season with the kick returners not being settled and DHB not being on the team, do you really want to start casting guys off because you don't think they bring anything to the team?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed

Also very impressed with the 85 word sentence. :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You may be impressed, but that massive, run-on sentence made my head hurt. :facepalm:

The problem with thorn's post is he assumes the special teams will fall apart without Matakevich, but what evidence is there to back that up?

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It saves money though the run on sentence that is not cutting TM. No my assumption is that when they turn on Danny Smith which they always do, the inevitable discussion will be who is not with the unit anymore and how it plays into their subpar performance.

Edit: It will be quickly followed by those lamenting how empty the stands look.

15. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015

You’re not being rude, it not that deep ..he just stinks as a player and I hope that a young guy they drafted can fill in in defensive situations better , as well has fill his shoes on his tad bit overblown production, people act like he’s the greatest player of all time in the history of special teams.That’s all. Oh and I like Tomlin and Danny smith I guess isn’t all that great matakevich aside

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That wasn't the part of your post that is missing support. It's the claim that the special teams would fall apart without Matakevich. Please do present the evidence that Matakevich is such a vital cog in those units that the team can't thrive without him.

Yes, I do think people would be more likely to blame Smith if the special teams falter, but the fawning over Matakevich around here gets a little ridiculous sometimes.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you said he was only drafted because he played in pa. Not true he had very good college production. He has also had good st. production. DH B gone, fort gone, allen maybe gone, you have to have some st guys that can do. It is a big part of the game.:cool:

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The special team play that I most remember him being involved in last year was the fake punt against the Saints. He was blown back into Nix causing the run to be short.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Every single team has a Tyler Matakevich. A guy who doesn't excel at his regular position but is a key contributor on STs. Every team needs those players too. Not sure what all the ruckus is about here. If Sutton Smith, UG3 or some other guy fills the role better than I'm sure they'll let go of Dirty Red. But until a player proves himself better in the games, then better get used to seeing #44 line up all over the ST units.
    I don't see everyone calling for the head of some Pens 4th liner. And for all of you pointing out Dirty's ST fails, show me a STer who hasn't messed up once in awhile. Look at Boswell.
    I don't want to see Dirty Red in games as an ILB either, but I do like his contributions on STs. And if UG3 beats him out, I'm sure I'll like his STs contributions.
    If Dirty Red is so horrible, why is Matthew Thomas sitting on the couch or Jon Bostic not with the Steelers? Probably because Danny Smith says he is valuable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, to be fair, I'm sure he doesn't run block too often in practice...

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As you even acknowledged, they have rookies who could fulfill his role on special teams. If that happens, say goodbye.

I'm not calling for his head. I simply point it out when the fawning over him gets out of hand, which seems to happen quite often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The pissing and moaning has been ongoing for years. He may be the best of our special teams that are not very special. Not sure you keep someone whose only value is ST's. I don't care if he makes the team or not if he is deserving of it.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I must have missed all the posts fawning over Dirty Red. I rarely see him even mentioned and when he is it is usually like the OP in this thread, questioning his worth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Be glad you missed it it was nauseating.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015

Nah I meant fans have a love affair for him because he attended college in PA and his production in college 5 years ago means nothing now. I can think of plays nix and watt on ST that stood out to me more. AB was a ST stud returning. LJ fort at times could seem like a capable LB. Matakevich does nothing that couldn't be replaced. He's not top 15 in any ST stat. He's just a fan favorite for some reason nothing more