1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tyler Boyd

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wouldn't want the pain in the ass Digs either, let someone else baby sit him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    initially surprising, yes. But buffalo was using him less and less last year. very little in the end. could see it coming.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Sweede had no problem getting open, and i mean wide open! Just couldnt catch the ball:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Everyone was hoping for this when the ball was thrown in his direction

upload_2024-4-3_17-38-49.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Tyler Boyd is a very good receiver, his agent and himself
    must feel there is more money out there?

6. Darren Molloy

Darren Molloy Active Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Sweed's strange loss of ability might be down to brain injury which he is still suing the NCAA for. He developed poor eyesight after finishing college football which is extremely unusual and is consistent with brain trauma. Apparently his condition is getting worse and hopefully he can get some relief.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

man, was it PATHETIC. a #2 spent on him.

my big point is that those WR's were drafted under totally different draft leadership. and I think probably, a different scout team.

and Ben, Ben made some of those guys very good.

and yes, we did have some failures. M Wheaton was another

Wallace, Sanders, etc - that was a bygone era. Juju - how good was he really? never a #1, but again, a #2 draft pick when we needed to draft DL or OL.

Martavis Bryant - ANOTHER flash in the pan. AMAZING talent but crashed and burned, a bust, basically.

Nate Washington? who?

James Washington - run of the mill.

so, I read and hear of all this Steelers WR this and that. it is a narrative, a nice story, but not grounded in reality.

Sammie Coates? again, we drafted WR after WR, a dime a dozen as some have said.

only a couple became real standouts over the past 20 years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

they are playing chicken. some win, some lose.

9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    You could be right. But I see Boyd as a good WR3...when Chase and Higgins are the WR1 and WR2. I'll bet he's a lot less productive on a new team and I think Khan thinks that too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Not quite that bad. While they do take on $31M in dead money, they shed the $18M in guaranteed salary, $6M in prorated bonus, and $3M option bonus that were on the books for 2024. So in all they will lose ~$4M in space this year from the trade.

That said, the Bills had Diggs originally under contract through 2023 when they signed him to an extension last year that essentially gave him a raise of over $20M for those two years with them. In return, along with sending a 5th in 2025 and 6th in 2024, they're getting a 2nd in 2025. That's an incredibly expensive trade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I think so. More than being "greedy", I'm sure he and his agent are looking at market prices thus far this offseason. Here's the past three years' worth of production and contract value for three examples from this FA market:

Curtis Samuel: 132/1296/8... 3/$24M ($8M AAV)
    Gabe Davis: 128/2131/20... 3/$39M ($13M)
    Darnell Mooney: 152/1962/7... 3/$39M ($13M)

Tyler Boyd: 192/2257/12

Boyd is a couple of years older than those guys (29), but I don't think it's unreasonable he pass at a contract with only a $5M AAV.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Diggs is a pain in the ass, he also has a big contract for another 3 years I think, and he disappears in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The one he could have added is a much better player than the one he traded, but that makes sense.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Boyd was more productive before they got there. Maybe Khan thinks he has lost a step, but he didn't need Burrow throwing to him and Chase and Higgins out there with him to go over 1,000 yards twice in his career.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He has two guys that passed him over in Chase and Higgins. They offered 2 years 10 mill and he declined. I don't get the hype to get him at this point. Someone else can pay him more but no other team is jumping over hurdles to sign him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wallace, Sanders, JuJu, Bryant were all good WR. Bryant had a substance abuse problem, not a talent problem, he oozed talent. JuJu had a good rookie season followed up I think with a 1400 yard season, his fall off came down to bad knees and not being a #1 WR, Wallace and Ben set a record for 40+ yard completions, Sanders had a good career, should have kept him but I think that came down to cap reasons.

So no, it’s not a narrative and nice story, it’s fact. If you list their successes as part of their misses of course it won’t look good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

good WR's - yes, but not great. even limited in Pro Bowl appearances. Ben made them better than they were. the Sanders departure was difficult. He got better for Peyton - that is all I will say. He had the dropsies here. Was great and then sporadic - less than amazing far too much. as has been stated, fit into that dime a dozen category far too often. came into his own, in Indy, with Pey Pey.

ALL of that stated, that was a different front office and GM team - scouts and all.

past performance is not indicative of future results, as our financial planners always tell us :cool::cool: Can Kahn and Team draft WR's? We don't know.

I'd like Boyd here as a safe measure - have said that for a while, but not offering anything more than we already have.

18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That sounds about right for Boyd. I was thinking up to $6m but certainly no more than that. He is a good possession receiver but isn’t a big play threat and isn’t getting any younger.

He will probably get a deal after the draft when teams know more about where they stand at WR

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Or when he and his agent have a better understanding of his value today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he is playing high risk gambling.

he may win, he may lose.

will be fun to watch if he gets more or less what we offered.

21. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    if Tyler Boyd can't be a 1 or 2 wr then why bother with him a number 3 we can get in the draft

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Boyd will get a deal when his price comes down. I think he is still wanting over $10 million right now.

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He can still catch 80 a year

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Boyd is on the wrong side 30 and more of a slot/possession type WR. He probably is trying to get a good pay day in his last contract in the NFL, but the market apparently doesn't think he's the player he thinks he is now. Not sure if he wants more term than teams are willing to offer, or just more guaranteed money?

At this point we should wait for the draft to be over and re-assess. His side will wait to leverage teams that still need a WR post draft.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Boyd could be a serviceable WR2. There's a difference between being a WR3 and being the WR3 behind Ja'Marr Chase and Tee Higgins.

I think the problem with the feel of it is trusting Pickens to be a WR1, and knowing what you have in Austin III, Jefferson, or Watkins behind them. Finding a twitchy route-runner with sticky hands in the draft whose needle is pointing up would ease some concerns with that room.

• Like Like x 1