1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Glaring Illustrations of Steelers' Lack of Prep

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GCabot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. GCabot

GCabot New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Beyond the obvious game-plan deficiencies, two things came out after the game that stood out as indicative of the Steelers’ lack of proper preparation:

1. Mitchell admitted after the game that the Steelers never practiced against the Patriots’ flea flicker. This is despite the fact that this was not a new Patriots’ play. They ran it against the Ravens as recently as Week 14 of this season (and to Hogan, no less), and they ran it against us specifically when we played them in 2007 (see https://larrybrownsports.com/football/steelers-did-not-prepare-flea-flicker-patriots/346545). I’m pretty sure the generally clueless announcers even said on the broadcast during the play that it was a common Patriots’ trick play. So, how did the Steelers’ coaching staff manage to overlook it completely?

2. We all know that Bell was the focal point of our offensive plan, and that it went off the rails after he went out of the game in the second quarter. After the game, however, Bell said that his groin injury wasn’t new—he had been dealing with it for a while now. Given this (and Bell’s general injury history), the Steelers’ coaches must have known that there was a pretty good chance that he might become injured/unavailable during the game. So, how did they not have a contingency plan in place for our offense without Bell?

Granted, Belichick is without peer, but it shouldn't take a Belichick-caliber coach to figure these things out.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    My annoyance with the flea flicker was less their lack of practice, and more it being an example of Mitchell charging on instinct rather than doing his job. Had he not bitten on the run play, Hogan is covered for at least a few more seconds.

On the second point, I think they assumed DWill could step in and do a decent job. The problem is, DWill has not been the player he was last season. And the Steelers couldn't stay on the field long enough to see what he could really do.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    DWill was pretty damn good this year. I pace no blame on him.

A player like AB, you need to come up with a plan to get him open. Line him up all over the field, move him around in motion, do something.

Don't let him stand on the outside and get double teamed all day.

Flea Flicker is what it is. Most teams get beat buy it. But after the Facebook controversy and "Ready for their Ass" comment. Steelers should have expected some kind of trick play.

4. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Agreed, don't know how we couldn't come up with way better plays than what we threw out there. Let Ben throw more down the field and DeAngilo was busting runs, so play action. Just very surprised we were such a no show yesterday. We might as well of not shown up with that lack of effort and lack of adjustments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Flea fleacker exposed more lack of awareness than lack of preparation.
    As a FS you always need to be behind the deepest route when using cover 2, 3 or 6.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Telling AB to quit whining and hanging his head after DeAngelo scored the TD to make it 10-6because he was mad it wasn't him would be a good start . I love AB to death but he really needs to start maturing more and growing up. They can't have him continuing to do these same selfish diva things year after year.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Take it from an old free safety, "deep as the deepest man" is a mantra that is beaten into your brain over and over again. I'm generally pleased with his play, but no excuse for Mitchell on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It sounds like Mitchell is making excuses, he bit hard on the flea flicker he can't let Hogan get behind him.

9. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This whole coaching staff needs to take a good look in the Mirror because that's where it starts to get things turned around. As painful as it was I rewatched the game in a more calm and rational way. My conclusion is: we totally got whipped and Coaches should be ashamed of themselfs for the game plan they put together or the lack of a game plan. Pats were more physical and the Steelers did not match that physicalality. Steelers defenders were 10 yards away from Pats receivers, but their defenders were right up on our receivers that spells disaster. Alot of sole searching needs to happen amongst the Coaching staff they let the team down big time. Go Steelers!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    We've got to many diva players! Of course both are our studs. Heck Ben can be a diva. He just masks it a times. Ben was throwing a lot on others which it needed to be more on himself cause he didn't play good either.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

That fleaflicker broke my heart. :(

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh my people,I have watched this for 10 years the lack of preparation, execution, stupidness.
    discipline, time mgmt. I should have known not to get my hopes up against the Pats.
    Just poor poor preparation by the whole coaching staff. And who is the head coach?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with everything you said. What surprised me the most and had me in utter shock was how wide open their WRs were. I mean it was like they had Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Terrell Owens against college cornerbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1