1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Two EXCELLENT articles about Patriot fans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Feb 8, 2012.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Reading that first story, reminded exactly of the post-Broncos game comments here.

I've lived in cities that have had successful winning teams, and in cities that were mired in futility. I've come to the conclusion that winning very often brings out the worst in fans.

3. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That second link with that had the video reminded me of an NFL version of The View :sick:

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I couldn't agree more. That's why I've been trying to post the incredibly dominant win statistics the Steelers have had over the last 40 years. Yet - when they lost the Super Bowl last year, people were reaady to hang Tomlin and Roethlisberger in effigy. Then - after a 12-4 season and an injury-riddled team, we hear cries for Tomlin's head again - and hopes that Ben gets traded, etc. It's like I tell my son. Getting to the playoffs is the first goal - then - winning the division. Once you're in the postseason, anything can happen and the best team does not always win.

The one thing that we can be thankful for - coming from the first article - is that at least the Pittsburgh media has not jumped on the anti-Tomlin bandwagon - well, the print media anyway. I'm out of range of the radio media and not in the T.V. market. The New England media is being RUTHLESS after a very successful season from their football team. WOW!

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Both articles hit it on the head. But I have to wonder...

1. The media certainly plays a role in this, with its 24/7 sports news cycle and over-analysis of everything that happens on the playing field/court/ice.
    2. I find it peculiar that Rick Reilly is just now speaking up about this. Could it be because the Golden Boy is taking some licks on Boston talk radio? Oh, poor, poor Tom.
    3. We Steeler fans are not above criticism, and we know it. I remember the vicious, wild rumors about Kordell Stewart being gay and people throwing trash on Tommy Maddox's lawn. But I also do not believe Steeler fans, as a whole, take things to the level of NYC, Philly, and Boston. Or L.A., for that matter. I attended a Browns-Steelers game at Heinz Field a few years ago, and the few Browns fans who showed up in their Browns jerseys were mockingly booed and gently taunted, but I never ever saw anything vicious said or done to them. This was impressive.
    4. I wonder how much video games and Fantasy Football are beginning to change fans. Perhaps we no longer view these athletes as human beings, who have good days and bad days, who have emotions that can get in the way of how they perform. last time I checked, madden doesn't have a "mood meter" for its players.
    5. That said, some of this is possibly also the result of the amount of money these athletes are paid. Maybe they deserve every ounce of criticism they get. they're the multi-millionaires, getting paid to play a frickin' game. maybe we owe it to them to cast them in disgrace every now and then when warranted.