1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuitt update from Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, May 5, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What about Trey Flowers...He hasn't resigned with anyone....has He???
    He was good at NE...not as good at Detroit, but that's Detroit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Now my Bell flashbacks are complete.

I thought Cam said he would be back any day now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The 35-year-old lineman coming off a major injury is going to fix things? Talk about foolishness.

Wormley isn't going to fix anything from last year. He didn't have some big step forward in his game. He simply got more playing time. He has always been able to make the occasional big play. What he doesn't do is consistently take on blockers and play a big role in the run defense like Tuitt. He also isn't as good as a pass rusher. He's a decent player who is probably best suited to a reserve role. Adams flashed on occasion, but he was also on the scrap heap for a reason.

Watt was DPOY last year. It is quite foolish to assume Flores is somehow going to magically make him even better.

There are reasons to expect some improvement. Highsmith should get better. Flores can help there. Getting Alualu back will help some. Getting Jack should help. Leal has a lot of growing to do to help. Loudermilk is probably the most The thing you are missing is that the front seven needs to be dominant for this team to succeed. That became a hell of a lot less likely when they lost Tuitt. The run defense should be a little better, but they have a long way to go to even be good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i am not rehashing this with you. that's your opinion and this is mine. to think TJ can't get better against the run is foolish just because he won DPOY. that is where he does need to improve and so does highsmith.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/a...alue-to-defense-ive-learned-so-much-from-him/

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/05/s...er-teryl-austin-according-to-cameron-heyward/

alualu broke his ankle. it's not a major injury that should linger like a knee. alualu as much as anyone was playing at a high level even at his age. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Alualu has a history of injuries. It is foolish to think those things get better at age 35.

Watt just has to get better is an even more foolish argument.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Even if Alualu comes back 100% how many years does he have?

Wormley isn't all pro, but I think he is serviceable. He finished 3rd on the team in sacks.

7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think that will need more explanation.
    When people say "history of injuries", they usually mean a lot of games missed due to injury.
    Do you mean nagging injuries that still allow him to play, but less than 100% ?

Other than last year, Alualu played in 14-16 games every season for 11 years.
    The number of games started is a lot less (as a Steeler 2-5 games, except for the 10 games in 2020), but he was still on the active roster in a vast majority of games.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was thinking more of nagging injuries, but coming off one that cost him most of a season is a concern.

Do you think it makes sense to rely that heavily on a 35-year-old defensive lineman coming off a season lost to injury?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    We going to trade before or after camp? Or just go with what we have for the season?

10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    He has a lot of talent, even if he was drafted too early in the 1st round.
    There were All-Pro linemen who still played at a high level to age 37-38, so we are talking about squeezing this season (and maybe next year?) out of Alualu, who doesn't have as much mileage due to the lost year.

The injury sounds like it was "normal", so he should be recovered from an ankle break. From what I can find online, he should have been able to resume a normal daily routine around three months. It takes months more to regain strength and range of motion, so there will be more information for fans after practices get going.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know Alualu is a hell of a player if he's healthy and age hasn't caught up to him, but if is doing a lot of work in that sentence.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is always room for improvement. I think Watt can be even more dominant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Counting on that as a way the run defense could improve is foolish.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Where did I make that argument?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You didn't. mac daddyo did and you jumped into that discussion.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Doesn’t mean I share that point of view but to say Watt has nothing left to learn or improve on lacks serious football knowledge.

You’ve made that silly claim more than once.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I know it’s crazy to think, but I don’t believe Watt has peaked yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed and exciting to see Flores get to work with him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That would be a silly claim. Glad it wasn't actually my point, though looking back, I could have been clearer. My claim was that it was ridiculous to expect that to be how the run defense improves. Anybody can always get better, but assuming your DPOY getting better will fix your leaky run defense is silly. I think people are also putting a bit too much faith in Flores.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Watt doesn't need to be coached up as much as the ILBs need to be, they need Flores to get Bush and Mack to be a good tandem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought the plan was for Flores to work with the outside linebackers, though I'm sure those jobs overlap. If nothing else, maybe he can help Highsmith. People need to keep in mind that Butler went back to working with the outside linebackers more directly the last couple of seasons. The guy wasn't a good defensive coordinator, but he was a good position coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t disagree but if Watt can improve his game even more, that’s scary and would welcome it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Flores has the title of senior defensive assistant, he might be doing more on the practice field, Edmunds and Jack have commented on Flores coaching style already.

• Like Like x 1