1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuitt update from Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, May 5, 2022.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I actually don’t blame fans for being frustrated.
    Fans pour their heart soul and hard earned dough into supporting their favorite team. It’s only natural to want to understand what the heck is going on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    SOMETIMES

3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Cam can’t do it all by himself. They often ran away from Cam. Look Wormley isn’t a bad player but he is not a starter caliber player for this scheme. He is a detriment to the run defense. Not having Alualu just made things worse. Honestly I wish we would have kept Hargrave and let Tuitt walk for has much time as Tuitt as missed. The guy that got drafted this year from Connecticut is 6’4” 335lbs. He could play end, tackle or nose in our defense. He was fairly athletic and quick for his size. Wormley just doesn’t have enough girth or strength.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    that is what I have been trying to say to Macdaddy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Off topic, but I just noticed that Hampton played more games for Tomlin than he did for Cowher.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    None

Bush and Edmunds would have been the same

Greene and Holmes did not make Lambert good

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    See above

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Scribe JR

Only better looking

:smiley1:

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe the Hampton of his early years when he still had the quickness. The league has changed some since then. Casey was so quick off the snap early in his career. He got heavy later on. Still good but different then.:cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that didn't affect his lack of effort. So no stats don't tell the whole story.:cool:

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t know last I checked football was a team sport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In this case Jeh is right. While the lack of another DE like Smith, Kiesel, or Tuitt when fully healthy didn't help both Bush and Edmunds it was not the reason they struggled. They have bad instincts and guessed more than knowing the play. Like Mac said Bush (although this isn't limited to him alone) would jump the first empty gap he saw and then stop and get eaten up by the block. The 2nd level interior guys aren't meant to absorb blocks, they are supposed to track the ball carrier and explode into them. Bobby Wagner was great at that, I'm pretty sure the Rams started a rookie inside and that guy was running a clinic on shadowing the ball carrier until he decided to make his cut, then just exploded into him. The run defense has been declining with the rise of subpackage football and activating the DE as pass rushers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If that's the case, I misread what you said. I read it as them not needing Tuitt because they have Wormley, which simply isn't true. The gap between them is bigger than you are making it out to be even if you do just look at statistics. Most importantly, I don't think Wormley actually improved at all. He just got a lot more playing time than he had in previous seasons.

So despite what others said, one posters here is saying that Wormley isn't actually trending up. He is the same backup-level player he has always been. His statistics improved simply by playing a lot more. The statistical comparison still favors Tuitt, and it doesn't take into account the fact that Tuitt can draw double-teams and tie up blockers, something Wormley doesn't seem to do well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i am hoping wormley keeps trending up and builds on what he did last year, no matter if it was just more playing time or not it was good to have. i like hungry players that want to work on their game and improve. AB was a good example of that. he worked on his game hard to get where he got to before the meltdown. he to me is trending in that direction and tuitt the opposite. tuitt was good don't get me wrong but i don't think that same fire is there anymore with him and wormley got a taste of starting and hopefully builds on that incentive. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That’s nice

Irrelevant

But nice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I understand what you are saying but doesn’t each defender in the front seven have gap responsibility. Meaning if the DT or DE are responsible for the B Gap then the MLB are responsible for the A Gap so in that case their not guessing they are filling the gap. The problem is they can’t get off the block. This is a penetrating defense which gap responsibility. Now the old steel defense in the Casey Hampton days was much different. The Defensive Lineman were asked to maintain the offensive lineman so they could not get to the second level and they would slide down the line laterally to maintain multiple gaps. This allowed the MLB’s to flow freely to the ball carrier and it allowed them to shadow as you say and read and react. This defense isn’t built like that. Were asking smallish MLB’s who are primarily built for coverage to also be able to shed blocks. It will never work. Again the perfect MLB was there in the third round who could shed blocks and was fast enough and twitchy enough to at least groom into a decent coverage linebacker in Leo Chenal. I will confess that Bush lacks instincts but to me it is the scheme more than anything. Myles Jack is gong to fail in this scheme as well unless he can get off blocks. Another example is when Cam Heyward first came to the Steelers we were more of a multi gap responsibility defensive line with the defensive lineman tying up offensive lineman and sliding and shadowing towards the ball and as a result you rarely saw splash plays from the defensive lineman nor did you see a lot of sacks. Heyward didn’t start producing sacks and a lot of pressure until we migrated into the defense that we have now which is a one gap penetrating defensive line. The system is suited very well for the defensive line and edge players but it puts a lot more pressure on the MLB. Heck thats why very average defensive lineman like Wormley even have some success in this defense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Irrelevant? 11 players on the defense and they all affect each other in one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    It is completely relevant.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Chenal was my draft crush, oh well...Maybe Leal will make me forget about him

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do You know I watched a show with the Ravens saying they brought in outside advisors 2 see what they could do 2 beat us more, and their final outcome was......get Hampton somehow out of the game....this is a totally true thing.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers might know more about Tuitt's return, than they're letting on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tuitt had arguably his best season in 2020. There isn't a negative trend. There is one season ruined by a personal tragedy and injury. One season is not a trend.

Wormley is absolutely good to have as a backup. I'm just not very optimistic if they are stuck starting him again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Don’t forget mac gets a hard on every season over every marginal player on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

we have started a new league year for 2022. his best year was 2020. as far as we know, we are not hearing that tuitt is working hard to get back to where he was in 2020. that's two years in a row now. i'm not sure what it takes to be a trend but this doesn't sound promising. did the knee injury that kept him out all year fix itself? there has been no reports of a surgery. we haven't seen workout videos of him doing anything to get back. keeping it cloak and dagger may be their way but it doesn't look promising from my perspective. i hope i'm wrong but......:cool: