1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuitt update from Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, May 5, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't blame one guy for the failures in the run defense. It can be true that the inside linebackers sucked, the loss of Alualu hurt, and they missed Tuitt. All of those things are true.

I fully understand that they may have to move on from Tuitt due to his missing last season and his history of injuries. I'm not disputing that. I am disputing the notion that Wormley makes him expendable. He does not. That is a big reason why we saw the team drafting Loudermilk last season and Leal this year. Wormley is what he is, a guy who disappears most of the time, occasionally making a splashy play that fool people into thinking he is actually good. Judging a defensive lineman solely on tackles and sacks, ignoring what we actually see during the games, is overly simplistic and inaccurate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

is loudermilk and leal just because of tuitt or the fact heyward and alualu are aging as well? i don't think it's a one or the other it's more of a cumulative need. i never said wormley makes him expendable. i said tuitt makes himself expendable. we should be happy we have a guy that is stepping up in the way wormley did last season. :cool:

3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Whenever you start a comment about a player with "When he's healthy.....", it's not a good thing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Availability is most important

- Deuce Staley

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    How did Wormley step up last season. Yes he made some sacks but that does not exclude the fact that he was a liability on run defense. He is a backup DE in a 3-4 base defense. He can not take on double teams and he lacks consistency from play to play. Because we do not invest heavily in the Defensive backfield, the success of our defense is based solely on the front seven. The front seven needs to be dominant for the defensive backs to effective and quite frankly the defensive lineman need to be above par for a linebacker like Bush to be effective in the run game. Bush isn’t built to take on blockers. He needs to be free to flow to the ball. I believe part of the issue is the defensive scheme and the type of players. Tomlin wants penetrating one gap Defensive lineman and smallish and quick inside linebackers. The two do not mesh well. When you have one gap penetrating defensive lineman you essentially allow the interior offensive lineman a free shot to go get your inside linebacker. If your going to do that then you need a bigger linebacker the can shed blocks. We don’t have that. I don’t understand why a player like Leo Chenal wasn’t considered at MLB. The guy was big and fast. He would have been perfect for this role. The Nose tackle from Connecticut that the Ravens picked up would have been another nice add this year. I honestly feel like we have never been a great run defensive team under Tomlin. I love the sacks and I love the penetrating defense but not at the expense of the run. I just don’t understand what the Steelers aversion is to big nose tackles and thumper middle linebackers. There is a happy medium and that is find big players for those positions who happen to be athletic and fast. Yes they harder to find but they are out there as in the two players I just mentioned that were drafted this year by two good teams in Kansas City and Baltimore. Coming back to Tuitt and Alualu....if they aren’t in the lineup at 2020 form this year I believe the defense will be similar to what we saw in 2021. I don’t see the middle linebackers having any success without those two defensive lineman in the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

we run the sub package so much with 2 down linemen it's rarely about a NT. under tomlin when dick LeBeau was here we were tops in run defense. as i have said in the past, as good as TJ is in getting sacks, he and highsmith are lacking in setting the edge against the run. with only two down linemen you are asking a lot of them to stop the run and rush the passer. 51 tackles that wormley had last year are pretty good for a D-lineman on the season. bush on the other hand doesn't try to get out of the way of linemen and allows himself to get blocked way too often. i've watched it time after time. he stands reading and linemen run right up to him and engulf him. hopefully this defense changes some things this year with some different coaching being added. :cool:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Part of that is the lack of a dominant NT

Not that you can find one on the shelf but if they had one they would use him

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think that changed when butler took over. we run that sub package 60+% of the time. they missed alualu big time last year. even in the sub packages. :cool:

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This will be the first time in what, 30 years that the defensive coordinator is not from a 3-4 background or the Lebeau tree. I'm not sure what to expect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Someone forgot how good Tuitt was when He actually played.
    This again is why I don't like stats. Come on Mac....if You... with your own eyes didn't see how dominant Tuitt was when He played I don't know what 2 say. Hell He was a top 10 DL when He was healthy.
    What is he now??.....You , and I don't know, but let's not belittle what He was when He played.
    As far as stats and other things... PFF tried 2 show us that T. Edmunds was better than Minkah.....if anyone actually watched football, and believes that .....they should just stop watching, and just read PFF, stats, and watch post game shows.
    Not saying You Mac.....just pointing out some stuff. :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nobody isn't saying wormley is not pointing up, but You are just dismissing Tuitt like He wasn't good the day He hit the field. This is Wormleys 2nd team, and His what.....6th year in the league. Not saying He won't be good, but I believe You are forgetting How Good Tuitt was.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not saying Tuitt wasn't good. I never said that. I don't know what he will or won't be. Stats show production on the field. Tuitt had some average years as well and missed a lot of time. Not being on the field doesn't scare the other team. It also is not about our eye perception. What you do on that field will show up in your stats. Are you making tackles? That will show up. Are you getting sacks? That will show up. We don't know how good wormley can be just as we don't know how Tuitt will ever be again. When you look at cost per production it isn't even close. I'm saying if you look at production in wormleys best season and tuitts best season, there isn't that much difference in the numbers. If you dig deeper and look at the snap numbers, we see wormley would very easily had more production. This isn't made up, it's production numbers. What has Tuitt done above and beyond that makes him so much better and why doesn't it show up in his numbers? Does he just frighten the other teams player's? I'm not sure why so many are against wormley and the season the man had last year but he had good numbers for us and played pretty well. I for one am glad we had him here. You know Michael Jordan and tiger were good in their prime too but they just don't stay at that level forever. What was and what is can be quite different. :cool:

13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Using your logic of looking at stats .... we had the worst run defense in the league with Wormley starting. The has never been the case with Tuitt starting. Wormley rarely got double teamed which free’d up the guard or tackle to go after the MLB. Tuitt required double teams consistently which made a huge difference for the MLB. wormley just isn’t big enough or strong enough to play as an interior DT especially when we have two downlineman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Wormley isn’t close to being as good as Tuitt. Tuitts major problem is his health, he’s been dinged up a lot and even when he doesn’t miss games, he’s playing through injury which diminishes his level of play.

When he’s healthy, he’s among the best and very disruptive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed but I’m going back to Big Snack

Not like a guy like him comes srounc often

But if we had him he would play

• Like Like x 1
  16. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    And that's why the Steelers were able to draft him in the second round.

They were gambling that he would stay healthy.
    Would they get an early 1st round talent, or a player who is sometimes dinged up and has missed 19% of the games in his career?
    The answer is "yes".

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we didn't have alualu either. cam played too does he suck? please.:cool:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    different DC at that time. :cool:

19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Damn good looking in sweats

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    I marvel at that comically

• Like Like x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Understood and that is why we won’t draft that way just saying if that tool existed it would be used

22. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    what burns my as the most is...
    there very well could be no more Do it Tuitt
    atrocious

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    How much did the lack of alualu and tuitt affect bush(and the other linebackers). As always stats don’t tell the whole story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So do commas

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Seems like people forget we had the worst run defense in the NFL last season.

• Agree Agree x 1