1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tuiit

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 26, 2022.

1. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Dump him he's done !

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd rather start prioritizing what's good for the team. He's a millionaire making millions and not even working. Enough. Need to know if we can count on him or not. Crap or get off the pot. Sorry, but none on here is more well taken care of than Tuiit has been and never will be. This pity party has gone on forever. Strange that we pay players millions to not play but we can't pay decent salaries to get good coaches. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kaboly said we could have some clarity on Tuitt's future on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel he is done.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He tweeted about our cap number and how it would go up if a few things happened, one of which was Tuitt retiring. I'm guessing that's what happens.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nobody knows for sure right now, hopefully he plays the last year of his contract.

7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ideally Tuitt comes back and gives the team a break given that he got paid in full for doing absolutely nothing last season. The team have been incredibly (and I mean incredibly) good to him.

At the risk of sounding cold, if he retires the team should look for his signing bonus from last season’s restructure to be returned. A signing bonus is an advance, not a personal gift.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It would not happen. Unless a guy leaves a team.on really bad terms this would really be a bad look. You can lose a locker room very fast when yiu mess with a man's money, especially in a league without guaranteed contracts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes you’re probably right, but the man has not played a single down since getting an advance of $8m on his deal.It is not a typical situation, I cannot think of a precedent for it. He simply has not earned that money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    In theory I could agree, but it is how the team does business. I have no idea the exact numbers, last year he had a certain amount due that would have been paid had he made the roster. The team was over the cap and he agreed to a lower salary by turning that into a bonus allowing the team to operate and pushing those numbers into the future. It certainly sucks things have turned out the way they did, but if they went after that bonus what players in the future would be willing to restructure? While this may be a rare occurrence, the bigger picture suggests you just eat it and go on.

While a different scenario when Andrrw Luck retired the Colts could have opted to go after a huge amount they had paid in bonus, they opted not to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The Steelers did the right thing by handling Tuitt's situation the way they did. He reportedly had a knee injury, but I don't believe he was in the right frame of mind to play ball last season anyway. I think Tuitt's decision has already been made and he is now trying to give the Steelers enough time to figure out how they are going to replace his production.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    [QUOTE="it sucks because he's so good, and he'll really be missed but...

I hope he finds peace[/QUOTE]

I don't think he'll be missed he was hurt so much it'll be like he's still here..

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Latter aspect of your statement is not so much as cold as it is the standard practice; NFL is a business. For that matter, Mike Tomlin says it all the time; "This League is a business. Our business is winning" being the central aspect. While I agree that would be quite the turn of a moral compass for the Rooney Family in terms of how they deal with long tenured players, if they need the money.. they have the right to pursue it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Is he gonna come in , get hurt and paid for this season to?

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Again I have no idea what the original salary was last year before he restructured. Restructuring can benefit both 'business' parties. It frees up cap space needed in the current year, it gives the player money that was not guaranteed. The Steelers have relied on the restructure formula a lot, if they went after that money what player in the future is going to want to restructure? Business also has risks, you calculate that into the decision. To claim the restructured money is just bonus, when some or much of it was going to be his salary anyway, just reapportioned and go after it would send a wrong message to the locker room imho.

Much different would be a player signing a huge contract with a bonus, then quitting after the first year.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He has missed like a total of 34 games out of possible of 68 or so games.

I just don't think its a wise investment anymore.

Plus with a knee problem, mental problem, plus he tore a pec in the past.

Tuitt is a beast when healthy, but I think the better days are behind him, and its time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tuitt brings a heavy dead money cap hit if they cut him. I would hope they have some clarity about his health and mental state, even if they aren't sharing those with the public.

If he is healthy and mentally ready, there really is no reason to believe his play has declined. He was excellent in 2020. He will be 29 when training camp starts. I wouldn't bet on too many more seasons. Not every lineman is going to get better with age like Heyward, but a healthy Tuitt would have a few more good seasons in him. Of course, a healthy Tuitt is a rare thing.

The better bet is to bring him back. They certainly missed him in 2021. Though he is also a very good pass rusher, it was that disastrous run defense where his absence was felt the most. Tuitt is an outstanding run defender, and this team clearly needs as many of those as it can get. His return would also allow them to focus on needs other than the defensive line. Sure, the line needs more help in the long run, but they only have so many draft picks and so much money to spend. Given all that, the savings from cutting him just isn't worth it.

Of course, we really don't have much more clarity. I always assumed the Steelers would welcome Tuitt back if he wanted to return for 2022. The real issue is what Tuitt wants.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Judging by the article and interview they still have no clarity.

Steelers need to know how they should be approaching the Draft and Free agency.

I'm fine with Tuitt sitting out the year, but at least give them an answer as we head into the draft process.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    38 I believe

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If he wants to play next season then bring him back, look how bad the DL was without Alalu, and Tuitt.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

With Alualu and Tuitt fully healthy last year TJ Watt would have shattered the Sack record.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s Wednesday. No clarity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Cut bait, fill an OL need, or other needs
    And find someone that can stay healthy. The best player
    is the available player, Not someone on IR all the time.

25. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Best I can tell you are the only one in this thread that thinks he will come back and play well. I'm on the side it won't happen but sure the hell am hoping you turn out right.

• Like Like x 1