1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TTF's Cloudy Crystal Ball Mock(s)

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, May 8, 2014.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    http://thesteelersfans.com/2534/final-7-round-steelers-mock-draft/

Much like most of my academic life as a younger man, I've waited until the last moment to hand in my work. Here are two mocks that, while fairly unsexy, are very plausible IMO. The first one involves a trade with Miami.

1 (19) CB Bradley Roby

Roby is not my favorite CB in this class, but I think the team covets him. He's an aggressive, willing tackler, has perhaps the most experience in zone coverage, and fits their scheme perfectly. I don't think his recent legal snafu is enough to hurt his stock much in the team's eyes.

2 LB Scott Crichton

The Steelers need depth at OLB, and Crichton is the answer. He'll need to lose a little weight, which shouldn't be hard for him to do. He totaled 51.0 tackles for a loss and 22.5 sacks over his career at Oregon State. It's possible the team could ask him to bulk up and have him play 5 tech, but I think he'll be much more effective as a pass rusher.

3 (from Dolphins) G Joel Bitonio

Great footwork. A nasty blocker. Best in a phone booth. Great character. A leader in the locker room. Bitonio played tackle in college, but he'll have to move inside in the NFL. He'd be a great developmental prospect for Munch to mold.

3c CB Walt Aikens

Aikens is a physical CB who could develop into a productive DB here. He's played a variety of coverage schemes, is good in run support, and is an effective special teamer. He's got experience at safety, so he could transition there potentially if necessary. He has a character flag that effected his college career, but I don't see it as an issue and think he could develop into a solid contributor.

4 LB Jordan Zumwalt

Zumwalt is a high motor, energetic, violent hitting inside linebacker. He'll blitz or drop into coverage. He'd need to add weight and work his way onto the roster via special teams, but his versatility is a plus in that regard.

5 DE Brent Urban

Urban is one of my favorite DE prospects in this class. It's very possible that he goes earlier, but I think his ankle surgery effects his stock enough to make him last until the 5th. I really think Urban would fit perfectly here. He'd need to develop, but he's a hard worker who will quietly have an excellent game that few will notice. He really fits the mold of Aaron Smith in my opinion.

5c JERICK McKINNON RB

I could see the team taking a more "feature" back if he falls, but the roster is missing a potentially explosive back. He ran 4.38 40 at the combine, and could be dynamite when he finds a lane in a stretch scheme. He played QB for much of his college career, and isn't a traditional running back. Georgia Southern ran the Triple Option most of the time and he rarely lined up as a HB in the I. His hands are a question mark as he was a passing target only 10 times throughout his college career.

6 WR JOHN BROWN Pittsburg State

Brown is small, but he's dynamic. Smart, good vision, runs good routes and is dangerous in space. Great character guy who was a 3 time team captain. His biggest asset perhaps is his return capabilities. He has 5 career returns for a touchdown (3P,2K)

6c Beau Allen NT

He only switched to nose last year, but he's very durable (played every game in his career). He wasn't invited to the combine, but impressed at his Pro Day. Allen could develop into a solid contributor.

7 WR Quincy Enunwa

To save myself time here, I'm just going to c/p what I wrote about him last month.

The 6’2″, 225 lb wide out ran a 4.45 40 yard dash at the combine. The former captain tied for the most touchdowns scored by a WR in the Big Ten last year with 12. He is a good blocker, a good route runner, and uses his hands well to go after the ball.

Enunwa’s 78″ wingspan helps him extend and bring in the tougher grabs, though, his ball control after the catch can be a little suspect at times. Some analysts have said that he has focus issues and gets easily frustrated when plays don’t go his way. Durability may also be a concern, as he’s had recent hand and hamstring injuries.

Here is my other mock that doesn't involve a trade scenario.

1 CB Kyle Fuller
    2 WR Kelvin Benjamin
    3c WR Bruce Ellington
    4 LB Jordan Zumwalt
    5 C/G/T WESLEY JOHNSON
    5c RB Jerick McKinnon
    6 DE Jackson Jeffcoat
    6c TE Rob Blanchflower
    7 LB Shaquil Barrett

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Interesting. I actually like the second mock a little better overall but love the Urban pick in your first mock. You've got a couple of guys that have character concerns in the first mock and I just think the Steelers will do their dead level best to steer clear of the red flag guys this year. But who knows? :shrug: We shall see in a few short hours! :dancing:

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I like them both, but would prefer to kind of combine them and make one other minor addition.

Fuller
    Crichton
    Fedorowicz(sp?)
    Zumwalt
    Urban
    Mckinnon
    Jeffcoat
    Barrett
    ???

That would address two needs on offense and should really bolster the defense.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    True, but their character concerns are very low IMO. I can't frickin' wait to see how it all plays out. :rawk:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I could dig that, but I'd rather switch Fiedorowicz with someone who will be more of an impact player at #3. BPA WR there, then TE at 7 perhaps.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he will be plenty impactful you just watch. he may even start ahead of spaeth this year for us. my crystal ball has a crack in it though.:lolol::cool:

7. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed! I've got us taking CJF in my mock draft in the third round. I think he's a poor man's Heath Miller which ain't too shabby!

8. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    CJF was severly under utilized at Iowa his career. For whatever reason he was not really a factor until Iowa got closer to the red zone. Part of that is I think most defenses schemed to take him away and force someone else to beat them. As a Hawk fan this kid has all the tools to be a great one. I would love to see him a Steeler!

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I like CJF, and I used to pimp him back in the fall, but I think the 3rd round pick could go to better use. I wouldn't be disappointed with the selection though. If he can make an impact on the roster, and the team saves 900K by cutting Spaeth, then I'm down with that. :smiley1:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Also, his first name is Colton. So, we could draft a TE named Colt who wouldn't be in jail later this year. :thumbs_up:

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    3 for you too. Well done sir!:applaud:

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, you too, nice work! Now you and mac have to have a celebrity dance off to determine the winner :dancing:

14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Impressive! One of these years, I'll get a pick right!
    :lolol:

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Impressive indeed especially the Vandy Tackle. I honestly never gave him a second thought until I read your posts about him. Good call.

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks guys. Oddly enough, I had a couple rough drafts with Shazier/Tuitt Shazier/Nix, but not Zumwalt and Johnson.

It's awhn. You been served, Mac.

[​IMG]

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Nice moves, Stotch! Sweet vest too.