1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trubisky starting tomorrow

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by truckin9999, Dec 17, 2022.

1. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    i don't agree with that. Rudolph was coming on with his play against the playoff bound browns in 2020. He was getting better at reading the field - while some of his passes were off against Detroit - i would say he was still better at recognizing the right play - better than Trubisky. I haven't seen Trubisky with a good performance like that against a playoff team. He's more fluid and athletic, maybe that fools some people. But he hasn't proven he can play well against good teams. That's a major issue, probably points to his limited ability to challenge a good defense or he just gets too nervous he can't perform. I think it comes down to the Steelers following Matt Canada's preference for a 'running' QB. But Canada is so limited he can't adapt to his players strengths.

Also, while trying to appease his OC, Tomlin still likes what MR can do, why else would he still be on the roster? Anyway, this is all academic discussion, MR is most likely gone, and hopefully so is MT.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wrs are made 97% of the time by their Qbs. Needless to say....if Your Qb is not good 97% of time Your Wrs appear to be bad also.
    Just ask DJ. LoL

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You didn't just get the numbers wrong. You actually doubled down, trying to argue the point until I posted the statistics. That wasn't just a matter of opinion you got wrong. You actually got the facts wrong and tried to argue that you had them right.

By all means, dig up any posts you want of mine. I don't remember writing that Trubisky would be great. I thought there was a chance he might pan out, but that was it. I also never wrote that Canada only needed an athletic quarterback to run his system. I thought that might help, but I never said that was a sure thing.

None of those things involve getting facts wrong and then insisting I had them right, which is what you did on this thread.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are basing that on one part of one game. He and the offense mostly struggled in that game against the Browns, then he put up big numbers late to help them rally. Sorry, but impressive against prevent doesn't impress me that much.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Oh now you didn't say it was a sure thing
    ...LoL.
    so that absolves everything You said. See ....You prove My point. LoL.
    I also said I found a site that had them 6th. Not My fault the sight was misleading. I said I was wrong. Something You know nothing about . You just keep arguing Your point even if it's wrong until nobody gives a $hit....then....then... You think You won something. Sad. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    i watched that game, he was solid the whole game and capped it off with a great comeback attempt. I would say that performance was miles better than Trubisky's game against the lowly panthers, statistically, Darnold was better than Mitch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dig up the posts. Prove your point. You claim I wrote that Trubisky would be great as a Steeler. Prove it. You claim I wrote that all Canada needed was an athletic quarterback. Prove it. I don't remember exactly what I posted there. I don't remember claiming that all Canada needed was an athletic quarterback. If you can find that post, by all means, show it to us.

Until you do so, your point has not been proven.

I make my points. If people push back, I respond. None of that changes the fact that you actually had your facts wrong and tried to insist that you had them right until I posted the link.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I watched the game, too. Your definition of solid is a hell of a lot more generous than mine. The Steelers had nine points through three quarters. They were down 24-9 when Rudolph started hitting passes, racking up much of his production against a prevent defense.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    DNR. Don't care. As I said. LoL. Sad

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this is true, it is why a WR never makes it in ....... Baltimore....

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Translation: You can't back up your claims. You either made them up or you are misrepresenting old posts of mine and linking them would prove you wrong. Either way, that is weak sauce.

12. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    Well, you need to rewatch the game. MR was a little off in the first quarter but by the second he was settling in and making some nice throws. He got sacked a couple times near the red zone so they had to settle for field goals. toward the end of the 3rd quarter it was 10-9 browns - we were right there when they scored twice to make it 23-9 in a short period of time. They played prevent for only one series where MR made them pay. When they reverted back to their normal pass defense he still moved the ball on them. He was making sound correct decisions throughout the whole game and made a number of beautiful deep throws. The only time he made a mistake was that one forced dump off pass when he was under pressure that turned into an INT. Like i said better than anything i've seen from Trubisky who regularly passes into double (+) coverage - he got lucky a couple times last week where he should've been picked off.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They were still soft at the start of the second scoring drive, and most of his real production came after the team was down, 24-9. You can try to prop him up all you like, but the guy's resume wasn't good coming into this season. The team clearly saw it that way, which is why they signed Trubisky and drafted Pickett. They knew Rudolph not only wasn't the guy, he wasn't even good enough to be a stop-gap starter. Trubisky had better games than that one on his resume, too. Just because you didn't see them because they came with the Bears doesn't mean they didn't happen. What we have seen from Trubisky isn't really relevant to the decision made in the offseason. Those facts weren't in evidence when the Steelers made their decisions.

14. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    i'm just giving you the facts, i don't need to prop anyone up. MR played really well that game. to me, he's made better decisions on the field. The team signed Trubisky at the behest of Canada who insisted on having a running QB. Trubisky's resume ended in chicago by being replaced by Andy Dalton. So he starts here and plays so badly that they rush KP into the second half of the jets game, (Tomlin probably overruled Canada on that one).

Send me a clip or link to a game where Trubisky played just as well against a playoff caliber team, regular or post season game. But even if such a game exists, why was he booted out of Chicago? Cause he still can't hit the broad side of a barn on a regular basis and keeps throwing into double and triple coverage. MR was on an upward trajectory while MT can't shake his bad habits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How about 26 of 43 for 301 yards, one touchdown, no interceptions, and what should have been a game-winning drive in a playoff game? That's what Trubisky did against the Eagles Jan. 6, 2019. It certainly wasn't his fault that his kicker couldn't make a 43-yard field goal in the final seconds. This was with no running game and no prevent defense to pad his statistics.

Please provide the evidence that Canada asked them to sign Trubisky. If you can't do that, it's just speculation, not fact.

It also points to one of the ways Trubisky is better than Rudolph. His career passing numbers are better, but even if you want to call them even in that area, his mobility is a big advantage.

Trubisky was eventually replaced by Andy Dalton. Rudolph couldn't even make it through one season without being benched for Duck Hodges. Point Trubisky, and it ain't close.

One quarter of a game is not an upward trajectory. It also ignores his lousy performance for most of the game against the Lions last season.

Pro Bowls are kind of a joke, but it is hard to suck and make one. Trubisky has one on his resume. Rudolph had 10 starts in three seasons, some bad enough that he was benched for Duck Hodges. Yeah, I repeated that detail. It's that good of a detail.

16. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    Canada was constantly whining about wanting a mobile QB, its pretty obvious. Do a little research and you should come to that conclusion its logic, not speculation. Regarding 2019, MR got his starting job back that year also.
    Have to disagree again on the game, it was not one quarter, it was the whole game where he played well. Sure your going bring up the lions, that game was actually not that bad, again he made the right passes, even if some were off. If PF doesn't cough up that last pass in OT Steelers win and suddenly that game is not used by MR bashers.

On the pro bowl (alternate selection), seems Trubisky had a good year but so what? He regressed after that. He keeps making bad decisions and has a poor performance record against good teams. I like the way you say 'eventually replaced' it was more like Nagy had enough and sent him packing for a has been - see my chart again - that was the reason, you seem to keep forgetting details.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The dude is arguing a Guy with over 60 games in the NFL ,was a number 2 pick, the team bailed on, is on His 3rd team, and Has more ints than tds thrown this year is for sure better than a Guy that hasn't even play a whole season. Who on this team has a winning record, and More tds than ints. It's not only hilarious... it hubris of Him to say .....I know for sure He's better. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I see speculation without evidence. It is your claim, so that is on you to back it up. I did a search for Canada and a mobile quarterback. All I found was a quote from him saying that they don't need a mobile quarterback to run his offense. To be fair, I haven't lived in Pittsburgh in nearly 20 years, so maybe I missed something. By all means, if I did, please share the link or links.

What I see is a team that wanted to make sure they weren't stuck with Rudolph as their starter.

Nine points in three quarters is not good. The only part of that Cleveland game that was impressive by Rudolph was the fourth quarter, really just two drives.

He made some of the right passes against the Lions, but execution also matters. He missed on at least one easy touchdown pass. Even with a 100-yard rusher, he still led them to only 16 points in regulation against the worst team in the league.

I'm not forgetting details. I'm pointing out ones that are more relevant. One guy was replaced by Andy Dalton (and Justin Fields). The other was benched for Duck Hodges. You seem to be forgetting that point.

Also, Nagy's judgement makes your socks roll up and down? He and the GM were fired a year later.

I love how you dismiss that Trubisky has had a good season in the NFL. That is more than Mason Rudolph can claim, and your claim that his arrow was pointed upward isn't even close to being supported by the evidence. And of course I brought up the Lions. It helps prove that your claim is false. A guy whose arrow was pointing up would have played better against that ****show of a team.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Where is your evidence that I wrote that Trubisky would be great? Still can't find it?

Where is your evidence that I wrote that all Canada needed was a mobile quarterback? Can't find that either, can you?

I am absolutely certain you looked and can't find either. If you could, you would have posted the links.

The Steelers clearly think Trubisky is better. That's why they signed him and buried Rudolph at No. 3.

Even with the relatively poor season so far, Trubisky's career passing numbers are better than Rudolph's. I'm not talking about counting statistics. I'm talking about percentages. That ignores that he is so much more mobile, which is an advantage. It is a skill he has that Rudolph lacks.

Neither guy is very good, but yes, based on all the evidence available, Trubisky is better. Maybe that changes someday in the future but it is the only conclusion that fits the facts currently available.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You argument is laughable. I'm done with it. You are trying to say a Guy with over 60 games in the NFL , was a number 2 pick that nobody really wants as a starter, is on His 3rd team, and Has more ints than thrown tds this year .....is for sure better than a Guy on the same team, that hasn't even played a whole season, has more tds than ints, and Has a better record on this team. You are not only lying to Yourself, but to Me. You , Me , or anyone doesn't truly know this. Also Your argument that well the Steelers have signed, or are using Him means nothing. Don't act like this team is infallible about their choices of talent. I'm done arguing with You about it. Hell You keep saying what He's done in Chicago. I would bet money You haven't watched 10 freaking whole games He played in Chicago.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I will take this as your admission that you either made up your claims about my previous posts or chose to misrepresent them. Thank you for that.

That is also what you are doing here, misrepresenting what was actually written. Please don't make a habit of it.

22. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    Lol, can't disagree; Trubisky is a bust, and was replaced at the most inopportune time by a rookie; he was that bad. Based on his last two games, MR was seeing the field better and making better choices on where to throw the ball. I don't really care who the Steelers chose as no. 2 or 3, offensive style and even some politics factors into all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky has better career passing numbers than Rudolph. He is clearly far more mobile. He has more experience. He wasn't benched for Duck Hodges. The team clearly prefers him to Rudolph.

Your response is two great drives against the Browns and a crappy one against the then-winless Lions that you somehow rate as a positive step.

:lolol:

Actually, I went back and watched the highlights from that game against the Browns. It was really just two good plays One was a desperation throw to a well-covered Claypool on fourth down that may have been the only successful combat catch Claypool made as a Steeler for a touchdown. The other was an accurate 47-yard pass to Johnson. I'm not sure I'd call that a great decision because it was thrown into double coverage, but it was a hell of a throw. I've never argued the guy's ability to throw the deep ball. It is everything else he struggles with doing consistently.

24. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    again, and for the last time, (you can continue ranting if you want), i don't care if Trubisky had one good season, he stunk and regressed after that. And i know for a fact Canada wanted a mobile QB, its all over the internet and message boards. Based on MR's last two games versus what MT has done so far in Pittsburgh - MR sees the field better makes better choices with his passes. MT had one ok game, (truthfully he got lucky) where he was still outplayed by the opposing QB, lets see where he goes from here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If it is all over the internet that Canada wanted a mobile quarterback, I'm sure you will have no problem providing evidence to support your claim. I did a brief search and all I came up with was a quote from him saying that he doesn't need a mobile quarterback to make his offense work.

Based on the resumes of both players coming into this season, the most likely outcome, if Rudolph had gotten to play this season, is he would have been worse than Trubisky. That is based on his inferior passing numbers coming into the season, inferior mobility, and inferior experience.