1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy vs. Ed Reed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DJ18Baller, Jul 18, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Just saw a top 25 greatest players since 2000 and Reed was 8 while Troy was 15. I always thought Troy was better maybe Steelers bias?

• Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Different positions, and therefore Different players. They were both awesome, but of course Troy P was just a bit more awesome...well actually He was just better. LoL. So forget all I just said.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    No I get SS vs FS but this poll was just straight up best players since 2000 regardless of position

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    With the number of players in the league during that time, the difference between 8 and 15 is pretty minimal. Honestly they both were outstanding, both game changers, and with no salary CAP and both on the same team i think both would have created an all time secondary. Hate the Ravens but you have to respect all that Reed did.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Different player but both all-time great player at their position

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I get that but was Reed better overall than Troy? Maybe more longevity?

7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    For the longevity, both played the same number of seasons (12 seasons) but it's very hard to compare both players, since Reed was a center field safety and Polamalu is more of a box safety

But Polamalu is more underrated by the media and fans especially by those who think that Polamalu could not cover:facepalm:

I could also say that Reed would have had fewer Interceptions if the Ravens would not have been that good against the run and needed more help from their safety to stop the run during this era....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    HMMM.
    If only this debate was talked about like a gazillion times somewhere.
    Probably the same place the up coming season schedule was already discussed, but some here can't

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sorry but I respect the Ravens. I loved our old battles against them. I dug Reed. IMO better cover then Troy but Troy made impossible plays more then once in crucial moments. Troy had a better football brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Don't worry less then 25 days and we start play. Pre-season but so much to watch for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Reed was a great player, but I think Troy was better. Reed was a ballhawk and had good instincts, but Troy could do stuff no one else could do…. He was a generational type of player.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    when did Reed fly over an off. line like :superman: I don't think I ever saw that. So :ratbirds: Troy way better .Always loving on the Ravens Browns Bengals but all they do is make me ummm ummmm ummmmm-------:puking 4:

• Like Like x 1
  13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    True.
    Just @DJ18Baller as the kid he is should have better recollection of threads covering his topic.
    Dog knows he can't forget the
    3-12
    7 straight
    MT ........ jizz
    that drizzles out his mouth

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I will take Ronnie Lott over both at safety.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The reason that Troy wasn’t as prolific of a free safety as Reed is that Troy didn’t play free safety. His instincts and ability to get into the QB’s head and know just where to be on the field would have played out great at free safety had he played the position. I firmly believe that. Reed was a great free safety. But Troy was a generational talent who was the best defensive player in the game for a stretch of years when healthy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You are one strange dude. Not funny at all just strange AF. You Tomlin boys are a sensitive and defensive bread.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
  17. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Troy was better in my estimation. I never understood how they would portray Reed as a physical Safety. All you have to do is show highlights of Hines Ward blocking Ed Reed to know he wasn’t that physical.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Troy's burst to the ball was second to none.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Rocky Mtn

Dec 31, 2023
    I have to ask you about your signature . I haven't been here for very long. Who is Bob Nutbag? It's funny and I don't know what Bob that is.:smiley1:

20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    As you can tell from my Tattoo I'm an avid Pittsburgh Pirate fan. It stems from the late 50's and 60's growing up in Pittsburgh. Father died when I was young but my favorite memory (fading but I think of it everyday) was him bouncing me off every bed in our house when Pirates won the 1960 World Series.

I understand how MLB runs. Our owner enjoys the fruits of MLB while spending less then all teams but one. Owner Mr. Robert Nutting. I think he made his money in the newspaper business. And he says when he steps down it's his daughter's turn. Oh F--king Joy!

For the Pittsburgh Pirates this is probably their best team since 2018, last time they were over .500. For Nutbag it's all about the $$$$. Paul Skenes will not be a Pirate 2 years from now. Thanks Bob Nutbag!

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I just made a sandwich with defensive bread.......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  22. Rocky Mtn

Dec 31, 2023
    F Bob Nutbag.:drinks:

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Different types of players. Both were game changers in their own right, and both were among the GOATS of their position in the league's history. I wouldn't trade a second of the memories watching Troy Polamalu play football for the Steelers for Ed Reed... I'm sure that Ravens fans would have the same mentality with Ed vs. Troy. Reed gets ranked higher because his statistics are splashier (Reid getting more picks as a FS, while Polamalu would have more TFL/Sacks/FF), but they are equals in my eyes. Both made huge impact plays and did so in playoff ball, both were leaders of all-time type of defenses, and each are the pinnacle of what greatness is at their respective positions.

• Like Like x 3
  24. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Got it straight from the Big Guy ,Troy by a mile.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    SS is the more difficult position to play in football. Reed was a great FS, but Troy is at least #1a or #1b...the other best safety being Lott.

• Like Like x 2