1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Polamalu SNUBBED From The NFL 100 Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Yes. Despite Troy's accomplishments, adding Ken Houston served as a scapegoat to prevent a biased vi

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. No. Troy's lack of All Pro nods and inferior longevity doomed him from seeing the list.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    uh, what games were you watching? you clearly only remember the last year troy played here.

worth a damn huh...

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What I remember is that he would always jump on people instead of normal tackling and in cases end up getting a penalty. The guy got burned on so many pass plays. Look he wasn't a bad player by any means but his Paul Bunyan status in this town just kinda annoys me.

3. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    So wait a second, in 2 posts you say:
    1. He couldn't tackle worth a damn.
    AND
    2. He got burned so many times on pass plays

For some reason you just don't like the guy and aren't thinking clearly. How does a guy like that win Defensive MVP and get voted one of the top 10 players by his peers?

It is true that he gambled and it put him out of position, which especially hurt him when he lost his athleticism later in his career. But it was easily worth it.

Do yourself a favor and compare the team defense statistics during the late 2000s when Troy was on the field healthy and when he was injured. Literally for years they went from #1 in points allowed, run/pass defense to slightly above average all based on his availability. It was amazing.

4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol 1 and 2 go together not sure what you don't understand. There were more factors to the stats than just his availability it was the defense as a whole. FWIW I would still say Ed Reed was better.

5. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    What I don't understand is that there are really only 2 main areas of defense: tackling and pass coverage. You can't suck at both and be defensive POY. In fact you can't suck at both and have a 10 year career!

And the options aren't sucks at everything or better than Ed Reed. Ed and Lott are probably the 2 best safeties to ever play the same.

But, if Troy was able to keep the first half of his career going without injuries he would have been the best safety of all time. There is a simple reason: anyone who watched him knows the greatness of Troy was not in the box score but rather watching his influence on the game itself. The eye test, old school football eyes. But 538 shows that his stats alone were on target to make him one of the best safeties ever.

All of Ed's contribution showed up in his amazing stats. Troy's total destruction of the offensive gameplan would normally only show up as a tackle for loss, or not even show up at all.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-be-in-the-greatest-safety-ever-conversation/)

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I mean there probably is some truth to what you're saying. But in the top 100 promo they show Belicheck talking about always knowing where Ed Reed was on the field. He didn't say Troy. What does that tell you? Polamalu got burned much more so by Brady than Reed ever did.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Its a shame Troy was hurt so much... you could tell by that 2009 game vs. Tenn. he was going to have a massive year, and an injury totally derailed it.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He couldn't cover receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I voted no because of how you worded the poll....

Should Troy be on the NFL Top 100?? I say yes but look how they have it set up....
    Top 100 includes 10 coaches meaning it’s top 90 players...

Devon Hester made it as a returner only and he isn’t in the HOF.....

There is 12 RB on that list which more than all the SS,FS, & CB’s combined so the allotments of spots on this list is skewed.....

Dawkins and Shell should also be on this list also....

What’s the greatest snub??? Troy from Top 100 or Donnie She’ll from the HOF??!!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He made the spectacular plays, but he also missed quite a few tackles. I assume that is what Duke meant. Polamalu was given tremendous freedom by the coaching staff and told to blow things up. That often led to blown coverages and missed tackles, but it also led to spectacular, game-changing plays. Maybe that's the only way he was capable of playing, but the defense was built around him doing it.

Polamalu is tough to evaluate because his style led to big mistakes. That said, I don't think there has ever been another safety in the NFL who could match his closing burst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    Troy made the all pro team 4 out of 6 years he played 16 games. Of the other 2, one was his rookie year when he didnt start, I believe.

He also was all pro in a season he only played 11 games.

Oops I forgot the DPOY with only 14 games. That's 5 all pros in 7 years with 14 games or more, with 1 being his rookie year when he didn't start.

If injuries don't derail his other 6 years and also prevent him from playing longer, we could easily be talking about the consensus biggest playmaker in defensive history. And a few more rings possibly.

Like I said, a defensive Gale Sayers.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Steelersfire

Jan 17, 2019
    I'm pretty sure people consider missed tackles when voting for the all pro team...

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As long as he doesn't get snubbed from .... first ballot Hofer

15. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Troy committed the ultimate sin, he didn’t do TV or have his face planted all over social media and smoozing the sideline and the games.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This is a list of the best 100 players in the history of the NFL, at least 150 thousand players passed through the pro ranks in that space of time, including two way players who played both offense and defense, too many great players to condense on a 100 player list, it would take a 1000 player list to honor all the great ones and still some would be missed, so this list in meaning less to me.......