1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Troy Polamalu SNUBBED From The NFL 100 Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Yes. Despite Troy's accomplishments, adding Ken Houston served as a scapegoat to prevent a biased vi

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
  2. No. Troy's lack of All Pro nods and inferior longevity doomed him from seeing the list.

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hello fellow brothers and sisters of TheSteelersFans! AskQuestionsLater here giving you all an update on the NFL's 100 All Time Team. Sadly though, as the thread title implies, Troy did not make it.... which is truly intriguing. Before I continue, a disclaimer;

These written statements by the author do not reflect nor are shared opinions of members of TheSteelersFans Message Board, Staff Members and/or Site Administrator.

Here are the list of safeties that did make it.

Jack Christiansen

Ken Houston

Ronnie Lott*

Ed Reed

Emlen Tunnell

Larry Wilson

Now, Ronnie, Ed and Emlen I do agree with. Those three should be no brainers. However, the selection of Ken Houston over Troy does intrigue me a bit as I do not believe the likes of Jack Christiansen nor Larry Wilson had any bearing.

What is more alarming is that while the NFL.com page explains why the likes of Adam Vinatieri was voted over the likes of Morten Anderson, there is nothing there to explain the reasoning behind Ken over Troy.

Yes, Ken Houston has the longevity. Yes, Ken Houston has the greater statline. Most importantly yes, Ken has more All Pro nods in total than Troy.

However, Ken does not have DPOY within his resume; something no other Strong Safety would accomplish until Troy did so in 2010. For that matter, it was a preconceived notion that a Strong Safety winning that award would never happen.

Personally though, I see a different agenda here; favoritism... preventing it anyway. However, the NFL misses the mark badly here due in part to the aspect of diminishing one's accomplishments because of the team they played for as opposed to the accolades those players have earned and what they did to revolutionize the game. More importantly, simply using simple metrics ultimately limit the list as a whole. For example, should Paul Krause be over Ed Reed because Paul Krause is the INT King?! :facepalm:

I am not stating, in any way, Ken Houston was not a trailblazer for the position. If anything, thanks to him, the Strong Safety position became a prominent figurehead since his retirement in 1980. However, just because Ken trailblazed the position in one way does not mean there are other forms of revolution available. Troy revolutionzied the game thanks in part to his multi role capability and becoming the forerunner for what was to come in what is now called "sub pacakge football".

What are your thoughts fellow brothers and sisters?!

Go Steelers!! :herewego:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Troy is gonna forever be snubbed in the nfl lol

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    There's absolutely no way that Troy Polamalu isn't worthy of the list. What he brought was so unique, and he had the hardware to back it up as well. Kinda a head scratcher to me but what do I know. I am too young to have seen anyone play in the 80's or before, so I definitely missed out on being able to see some of the other guys play in real time.

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey AQL.

You know how these type of lists and accolades go accolades go when it comes to the Steelers. Half of the HOF would be Steeler players and similar type numbers for other lists like this one as will. Unfortunately, many people who have a say in these matters have a clear-cut line drawn in the sand of either love/hate for our beloved Black and Gold and that is usually how they vote. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Preposterous!!!

I would vote that they snubbed Troy so that they can have a more league wide distribution of NFL teams in the laughable top 100 at this point. Can't have the Steelers taking about 33 spots on their "everyteam gets a spot list."

7. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Troy left off the list renders the list null and void. It's now a joke.

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Because these lists don't mean anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have this bad feeling Troy is not going first ballot.

Sport reporters always seem to want knock Troy a peg under Ed Reed.

10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The list is just from opinions on players who played over many decades. The game has changed so much that comparing players from different era's is hard to do in the first place. Whoever came up with this idea did so to make money and get people to click on this BS. Troy should have been selected in my book and that is all that counts to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

12. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will get on the biggest and most important list of all when he is inducted into the NFL HOF class of 2020 that's all that matters!!!

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    They were going to pick 1 player from the recent years.
    It was either going to be Ed Reed or Troy, and Ed has the advantage of already being in the HoF.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He also has the advantage of better numbers. At their best, I'll take Polamalu, but he wasn't at his best as often as Reed. Polamalu's lack of durability works against him on something like this. I thought both should be on the list, but if it had to be one, it was going to be Reed.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its a shame. Troy was a game changer who all offensive coordinators had to game plan for. A unique talent.

16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I agree, I never saw anyone else do this:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not if we don’t win tomorrow. :smiley1:

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He was a ridiculous player and Is a top 3 safety of all time.

Should we play the play with jumping over the o line to get a sack at the goal line stand?

No those others weren't doing that.

I snub that writer off as not knowing what he's talking about

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Funny the exact play that came to my mind

20. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Completely ridiculous. There has never been, nor will there ever be, another player like Troy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    And that wasn't the only time he did that. Check it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Troy Polamalu “indifferent” to individual honors like Hall of Fame in a team sport

Posted by Mike Florio on December 3, 2019

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu always has brought a unique perspective. Far more often than not, his unique perspective is the accurate perspective.

Appearing on The Jim Rome Show on Tuesday, Polamalu was asked about his selection as a semifinalist for the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. His answer was different than what most would say.

“Honestly, I’ve kind of been really indifferent toward seeing any type of award or recognition,” Polamalu told Rome, “because for a sport like football, it’s such a team-oriented sport, it’s hard to really talk about individual players, especially coming from the team that I’ve been a part of — thank God — for the 12 years that I played for the Steelers. There’s definitely more than a handful of players that I know that I’ve played with that are more deserving of this award. I could even point out players on other teams that had they played with the James Harrisons, the [James] Farriors, the Ike Taylors under Coach [Dick] LeBeau that perhaps could have been even more successful or just as successful as I’ve been.”

Polamalu is right; football is a team sport. Individual awards undermine the concept of team, team, and team that every coach hammers into the brains of every player, at every level.

So why even bother with individual awards? Put simply, they help promote the sport.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ual-honors-like-hall-of-fame-in-a-team-sport/

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    It's a joke. Troy was like gale sayers on defense. He had a shorter career due to injuries, but when he was on he was unstoppable.

It really is sad people don't appreciate him. The fact his hair gets brought up is a reminder that people didnt really pay attention to his play like we did...

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    None of the other safeties listed did this. Not even Ronnie Lott. Just the facts.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I watched him play. Troy couldn't tackle worth a damn. People need to take off the black and gold glasses from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1